Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell: Rising Star

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Yeah, I can't remember seeing a player come in and look so comfortable and so assured.

Some of his early work, in and under, feeding the ball out, was amazing.

31 poss'ies, 10 tackles etc etc.....Rising star this week for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I can't remember seeing a player come in and look so comfortable and so assured.

Some of his early work, in and under, feeding the ball out, was amazing.

31 poss'ies, 10 tackles etc etc.....Rising star this week for sure.
    Not that TM needs any more accolades, but that tackle to take down Patrick Dangerfield in the third quarter was pretty good for a young kid tackle a big bodied player and take him to the ground.

Veterans List
    He's not what I thought he'd be at all - he looks like he could be the next superstar inside mid of the competition. Not just the tackling, have a look at what he does in the packs, knocking the ball out of hands, extracting the ball from where's it no meant to come out, lightning quick hands - talk about a man crush...

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    yeah i cant help but think of Sam Mitchell every time I see Tommy play - fairly similar height weight style of play
    His work by hand may be similar to Sam Mitchell...But he has a much, much stronger kick.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Like everyone here, we have been waiting for a while for this impressive start

Who will miss when everyone is fit is a nice problem to have! (keeping all these players will be hard in a year or 2)

Well done Swans

Rod_

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    He's not what I thought he'd be at all - ..
    What were you expecting?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    There was one piece of play in the first quarter which absolutely blew my mind. He took a mark on our half back flank, gave an ill-advised hospital handball to a running Malceski who spilled the ball under pressure from van Berlo. As the ball is lying on the deck, suddenly you see this red and white flash zoom in from the right of screen, dives on the ball and in one fell swoop got a handball to ROK for a clearing kick.

The speed at which the whole incident happened was so quick I don't think any other player from either side even realized what was going on.

There's little doubt he will get the nomination this round. The question is whether he can take the whole thing out. It's going to be very difficult giving Jaeger O'Meara 9 games head start; he would have to rack up the same kind of numbers as he did on Saturday for the rest of the year to stand a chance

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    His work by hand may be similar to Sam Mitchell...But he has a much, much stronger kick.
    Yes Ernie and another difference is that he might not look quick, because he never seems to move but glide but he is deceptively quick. He is also very strong and already has the perfect build for AFL footy. His hand and foot skills are excellent and you are right he can really roost it.

having been away for the last two weeks i have managed to catch up on the essendon and adelaide games. i think he has had a very good start - one game in the wet and one in the dry. good hands and quick ones - which means that the step up has not been much faster than he is used to.

be interesting to see how he goes against one of the teams when our midfield is not quite as dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    There was one piece of play in the first quarter which absolutely blew my mind. He took a mark on our half back flank, gave an ill-advised hospital handball to a running Malceski who spilled the ball under pressure from van Berlo. As the ball is lying on the deck, suddenly you see this red and white flash zoom in from the right of screen, dives on the ball and in one fell swoop got a handball to ROK for a clearing kick.

The speed at which the whole incident happened was so quick I don't think any other player from either side even realized what was going on.

There's little doubt he will get the nomination this round. The question is whether he can take the whole thing out. It's going to be very difficult giving Jaeger O'Meara 9 games head start; he would have to rack up the same kind of numbers as he did on Saturday for the rest of the year to stand a chance
    I remember that - his second, third and fourth efforts were fantastic in that particular instance.

That was a cracking clean up job by Mitchell. He knows no bounds this kid, and he is a lovely mix of Jude Bolton/Brett Kirk hardness for the ball along with the useful ability to use the ball exceptionally well. He is a guaranteed star imo. The only downside I can see is that he will probably confirm that this will be Jude's last year - you just can't see how next year he will get a game in out top 22.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I saw that on replay last night, had exactly the same reaction.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    What were you expecting?
    Diminutive ball magnet, I guess I was expecting a Brent Harvey or Ben Cousins style - not the inside mid monster he appears to be from 1.5 games of senior footy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    What were you expecting?
    Diminutive ball magnet, I guess I was expecting a Brent Harvey or Ben Cousins style - not the inside mid monster he appears to be from 1.5 games of senior footy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast