Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell: Rising Star

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    There was one piece of play in the first quarter which absolutely blew my mind. He took a mark on our half back flank, gave an ill-advised hospital handball to a running Malceski who spilled the ball under pressure from van Berlo. As the ball is lying on the deck, suddenly you see this red and white flash zoom in from the right of screen, dives on the ball and in one fell swoop got a handball to ROK for a clearing kick.

The speed at which the whole incident happened was so quick I don't think any other player from either side even realized what was going on.
    Agreed. When I saw that, I turned to the guys I was watching with and said, "Woah, Mitchell, did you see that?" It was brilliant because, yes, he hesitated, which meant his handball was that fraction too late and the ball went loose. But rather than put his head down, he sprinted to the pack and cannonballed through, which is impressive enough, but the fact that he took the ball cleanly, twisted, and passed off perfectly to the one teammate who was clear, all in a single motion, was simply incredible.

It was a truly fantastic piece of play that demonstrated concentration, speed, strength, bravery, and skill, all wrapped up in one. If he'd only done that one thing the entire game, I'd still be happy with him.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

On the Rookie List
    There was one piece of play in the first quarter which absolutely blew my mind. He took a mark on our half back flank, gave an ill-advised hospital handball to a running Malceski who spilled the ball under pressure from van Berlo. As the ball is lying on the deck, suddenly you see this red and white flash zoom in from the right of screen, dives on the ball and in one fell swoop got a handball to ROK for a clearing kick.

The speed at which the whole incident happened was so quick I don't think any other player from either side even realized what was going on.

There's little doubt he will get the nomination this round. The question is whether he can take the whole thing out. It's going to be very difficult giving Jaeger O'Meara 9 games head start; he would have to rack up the same kind of numbers as he did on Saturday for the rest of the year to stand a chance
    The nine games start is not an issue as the Rising Star votes are not done the same as the Brownlow. There are a limited number of judges, who vote at the end of the season based on the performance over the season by the nominated players.

Given the attention span of many football journalists, good results at the end of the season would be more useful as they may remember that and vote accordingly.

However, I think Tom is something special and they might remember him anyway.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Obviously this will be singled out in the team video review, but you can pretty much guarantee that there'll be junior coaches around the country talking about it to kids, too; it absolutely followed the old idea of "if you make a mistake don't drop your head, go and try to fix it".

I have no doubt that all our reserves players will have been shown that passage and told "this is what is expected of you".
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    He'll get the nomination so no need to panic
    Panic averted - Twitter / sydneyswans: Congratulations to Tom Mitchell, ...

pr. dim-melb; m not f

He's got it!

He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

So deserving, to back up his sensational debut with another brilliant game is simply amazing.
    If he keeps this form up he would have to be a very big chance to take it out and I notice on Sportsbet that he is already second favourite behind O'meara in betting.

Speaking of betting I have just noticed that Hanners has snuck ahead of Jobe to be second favourite for Charlie.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    So deserving, to back up his sensational debut with another brilliant game is simply amazing.
    If he keeps this form up he would have to be a very big chance to take it out and I notice on Sportsbet that he is already second favourite behind O'meara in betting.

Speaking of betting I have just noticed that Hanners has snuck ahead of Jobe to be second favourite for Charlie.
    Thanks to Keiren Jack, Jarrad McVeigh and Josh Kennedy, Hanners won't win the Brownlow. Ablett and Watson won't have too many votes taken by teammates. Just like last year, where the Swans polled more votes in total than any other club, but our highest placed player was Kennedy in 8th.

On the Rookie List
    Lachie Whitfield for GWS is right up there as well. Wouldn't be surprised if he wins it.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Deserving nomination. His chances of winning it obviously depend on him staying in the team now. It'd take a brave man to leave him out though!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Deserving nomination. His chances of winning it obviously depend on him staying in the team now. It'd take a brave man to leave him out though!
    Indeed. And it would take Superman to force him out!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=555095

Hard to believe this is a second-gamer!
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Tommy Mitchell highlights - Rising Star nominee R11 2013 - YouTube

They actually slowed down the piece of play I was talking about it was that quick.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast