Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Whitey

Senior Player
    Six things we learned from round 11 - AFL.com.au

4. The Crows should have taken Jesse White
    Adelaide could have landed Jesse White along with the Swans' first-round pick (no. 23) for Kurt Tippett, but the Crows eventually turned the deal down. You can safely bet they would have wanted him on Saturday night. Concerns over his ability at the top level were alleviated with an outstanding three-goal, 13-disposal, seven-mark effort as the Swans' last-choice tall forward. The 25-year-old has had trouble consistently producing quality games throughout his career, his talent was on full show against Adelaide. He can play ? make no mistake about that. White's goal from a tight angle in the third quarter, after outrunning an opponent was brilliant. - Harry Thring

There is a lot of love for White at the moment, but Ive heard both Tippet, Reid and Jetta will be avaliable for the Port game, so I think White will lose his place.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    There is a lot of love for White at the moment, but Ive heard both Tippet, Reid and Jetta will be avaliable for the Port game, so I think White will lose his place.
    I'd feel for him if he doesn't get a second run after it. I know he was just treading water until players became available, and I'd rather have us fully healthy, but I can't recall the last time Sam put on as dominant a forward performance as Jesse did against Adelaide.

I know folks say "he's had his chances", but sheesh he doesn't get a lot of luck with those chances and gets dropped to make way for a guy who's definitely ahead of him on the list but arguably not on form.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

White was terrific on the weekend, no doubt about it. He came out and played like I expected Adelaide would - like he/they had something to prove, but many times before he has looked like that was the breakout game and it was all going to click only for the same old Jesse to re-emerge the next week.
    I do shake my head in wonderment at those on here that say he has not been given a fair shake, he has played 58 games in under 6 seasons, 51 of those in 2009/10/11 so to say he wasn't given as good a go as Reid to prove himself is just plain wrong and to say that there is some kind of vendetta against him is ridiculous. Does anybody here really think that Longmire and co would NOT play the best available team?

Anyway, lets hope for his and the teams sake that it has all finally come together for him, because being able to bring in someone like last Saturdays Jesse whenever we had an injury or even to just mix it up a bit, would be fantastic and very, very scary for any opposition.

White is a very good forward. They just ruin him by persiting with making him play in the ruck.

The first time he gets a game at FF and look what he delivers!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    White is a very good forward. They just ruin him by persiting with making him play in the ruck.

The first time he gets a game at FF and look what he delivers!
    The counter argument is that making him play in the ruck has helped him to realise the level of fitness he needs to be an effective senior player, not to mention given him another string to his bow.

In fairness Jesse does have a better average goals per game than any other swan this year...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    In fairness Jesse does have a better average goals per game than any other swan this year...
    Can't deny that.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The counter argument is that making him play in the ruck has helped him to realise the level of fitness he needs to be an effective senior player, not to mention given him another string to his bow.
    I think playing in the ruck has been good for him because it has given him more opportunities to have a second crack at the ball and often against lumbering ruckmen rather than the mobile key position defender that he usually gets in the forward line, and he often clears the ball once it hits the ground in contests around wings and uses his body well in those circumstances. He is also pretty athletic in that he can run in a straight line pretty quick and deliver a long kick in those circumstances. He really isnt too bad at that sort of thing. But he does struggle in centre circle contests as he cannot get quite high enough when his opponent also has a good run at the ball.

He is fourth choice for a reason but that doesn't mean he cant play and i really wish people would stop declaring him a spud.

On the Rookie List
    Luke Darcy and Damien Barrett on Access All Areas praise him a lot. They raise the consistency issue but other than that it's all about the strength of our talls. The widely held consensus is that Adelaide are stupid for turning him down.

He may have been inconsistent in the past, but the past means nothing and most people here would want to know if he can be a consistent player from now on, given all the development he's had. Only more games from now will reveal this. Only then will this debate be settled.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    One other theory might see White stay in and ruck, as KT won't have the fitness to do ruck and resting FF. In fact he may be the sub and come on for a quarter and a half or so.

[QUOTE=Bloodthirsty;613897]Luke Darcy and Damien Barrett on Access All Areas praise him a lot. They raise the consistency issue but other than that it's all about the strength of our talls. The widely held consensus is that Adelaide are stupid for turning him down.
    /QUOTE]

Do you have a link for this I can't seem to find it on the afl website.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast