Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Whitey

We seem to be so good at recycling other teams misfiring players.. Why not try it on one of our own

Tippet will have the fitness. In fact his fitness base should be higher than anyone on our list, since he's had nearly 9 months of training, training, training and no niggling injuries to cope with.

The only thing he wont have is match-fitness. Which means he may not pick up the pace right away, but he should easily last out the match.

On the Rookie List
    [QUOTE=graemed;613900]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    Luke Darcy and Damien Barrett on Access All Areas praise him a lot. They raise the consistency issue but other than that it's all about the strength of our talls. The widely held consensus is that Adelaide are stupid for turning him down.
    /QUOTE]

Do you have a link for this I can't seem to find it on the afl website.

Make the switch, Bombers - AFL.com.au

On the Rookie List
    I've finally been able to do a post......don't know what's been going but I notice others have had problems as well.
    Anyhow, for what it's worth, I reckon Big Jesse should head to GWS for next season and beyond. It's criminal that they are screaming out for big bodies and we have him running around in the two's kicking bags of goals and occasionally promoting him when there's an injury. I think he'd go well in the Giants list.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    OK I was going to start a new thread about Swans look-a-likes for a bit of entertainment over the bye, but I might as well just post a Jesse White look-a-like here.

This guy is an American actor (Texas Chainsaw Massacre): Eric Balfour - IMDb

The likeness is even more amazing because White has a very unique look. This actor is really tall too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Remarkable likeness!
    I know! I hope more people check out Jesse's doppelg?nger. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    For probably the first time in my memory he also did the 1%ers that have been so lacking in his game.

He made 2nd and 3rd efforts when he didn't take the mark, he made shepherds and passed the ball off to those in better positions. He chased and made tackles. Contrast this game with his efforts in the hawthorn game and you get a picture of what frustrates and annoys supporters who wish him well.
    Couldn't agree more. There were two parts of Jesse's weekend's performance that I really loved (actually there were more, but these are the ones I loved the most).

The first one was obvious - the Q3 goal. It was a great effort to get the ball in the first place, a real display of pace and determination to burn off the Adelaide player and a kick at full pace from a tight angle which any of the goal-sneaks in the AFL would be proud to show their grandkids! I can't get tired of watching repeats of it!

The second one was Everitt's goal. Everitt handpassed to White. It didn't quite stick and was gathered by the Adelaide player, who White tackled, knocking the ball loose. He then dives from the ground to knock it to Everitt's advantages and then jumps up to hold off the Adelaide player cutting off Everitt. He didn't stop him for long, but it was all the time that Everitt needed to charge through and slot a goal from 50. A chain of 1%s that resulted directly in a goal! I hadn't really noticed until Saturday's game how much work the Swans big men do off the ball. If there's a Parker, Jack or Hannebery charging through traffic with the ball, there's almost always a Pyke, Mumford, or White just off-camera holding back would be tacklers. Particularly Pyke. He's made an art-form of it. It's the sort of thing which doesn't turn up on stats and doesn't get praise, but makes our team what it is.

Here's hoping the big man gets another shot at it next week and consolidates with another fantastic performance.

Veterans List
    Good luck to him, he was trying his guts out & produced a marvelous game - hope we see more of it.

He's unquestionably good enough to be in the best 22 for a number of clubs - unfortunately, most of those clubs would prefer to try their luck with a talented youngster than a mid-age who hasn't quite clinched it. And he still isn't a natural - at times, the hands looked stiff like frying pans and he was too easily pushed out of position. Nevertheless, I'm very pleased for the lad that he got the chance to shove up the Crows just a little bit!

I think one of the differences this week was Jesse played mainly as a forward and his confidence returned - yes that word confidence its a wonderfull thing. Been shot down here many times associating the word confidence and forward with Jesse's name.

Cheers

waz

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    White is a very good forward.
    He isn't. That is the issue. But full credit to him for his best game maybe ever. Full credit for the little things and hard work he put in...without giving away free kicks and turning over the ball - hallmarks of his previous games during the past five years. Full credit. But Jesse has not lived up to his promise and the club has given him more chances than a showgirl at a buck's party. What he has now is another big chance to demonstrate the ability recruited for in the first place. He will play against Port...perhaps at Everitt's expense. But on his performance against Adelaide he will get another game...maybe, just maybe turn the corner on what has been a disappointing career at the Swans.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by DK_ View Post
    Couldn't agree more. There were two parts of Jesse's weekend's performance that I really loved (actually there were more, but these are the ones I loved the most).

The first one was obvious - the Q3 goal. It was a great effort to get the ball in the first place, a real display of pace and determination to burn off the Adelaide player and a kick at full pace from a tight angle which any of the goal-sneaks in the AFL would be proud to show their grandkids! I can't get tired of watching repeats of it!

The second one was Everitt's goal. Everitt handpassed to White. It didn't quite stick and was gathered by the Adelaide player, who White tackled, knocking the ball loose. He then dives from the ground to knock it to Everitt's advantages and then jumps up to hold off the Adelaide player cutting off Everitt. He didn't stop him for long, but it was all the time that Everitt needed to charge through and slot a goal from 50. A chain of 1%s that resulted directly in a goal! I hadn't really noticed until Saturday's game how much work the Swans big men do off the ball. If there's a Parker, Jack or Hannebery charging through traffic with the ball, there's almost always a Pyke, Mumford, or White just off-camera holding back would be tacklers. Particularly Pyke. He's made an art-form of it. It's the sort of thing which doesn't turn up on stats and doesn't get praise, but makes our team what it is.

Here's hoping the big man gets another shot at it next week and consolidates with another fantastic performance.
    Welcome aboard DK_ and thanks for an informative post, especially on the big men's 1%ers. I'll know what to look for in future.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Thanks dimelb. Been reading for a while and love the forum. Was so excited by Saturday's game that I thought it time to start contributing!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DK_ View Post
    Good observation, I don't know if it counts as a 1% but it definitely should when it gives an obvious clear path for your teammates.

To draw something of a parallel, I watched a bit of basketball this NBA season and one thing that impressed me was watching Andrew Bogut (when he was on the floor) with his new team Golden State. They had an amazing spread of outside shooters, including the best in the league, and I was amazed how often they got open enough to get a shot off was because of the big man Bogut knowing exactly when to time putting a little block on to just put their defender off enough to give them space. In a 5 on 5 game it became quite glaring how much of an impact he was having offensively without the ball in his hand, I think you can definitely start to see the same thing increasingly in football- there's always been the big bump, and always been the arms out to full wingspan shepherd to give a bit of space, but increasingly you see big men starting to read the play a bit to see where/when to put the block on to give their team the best advantage.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast