Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Whitey

Big Whitey

I just want to congratulate one of my favourite Bloods on his performance on saturday. Worked hard all day, lead, tackled, kicked a few goals and had a terrific game to stick it up the club who said he's a dud. Full credit to Whitey. He's been from one game in the seniors and the scapegoat after a loss and came in and given his all. He's been dropped and given his all at reserves. Whatever is asked of Whitey he cops it on the chin and works hard. No sulking. No being gifted games. A great team player with a wonderful attitude. Will probably move on at the year's end but whatever he does, he'll always have a soft spot as one of my favourite swannies.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I d

I love the big galloot, can't help it. So proud of him. Hope he keeps a spot, Mummy's injury will possibly help?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I don't think anyone's ever questioned his talent, in fact his manifest talent is probably the cause of much of the frustration expressed on this site. The problem is that this talent has never seemed to have been matched by intent/determination/desire (cal it what you will).
    I suspect that the fact that his best game in several years came against a team which so comprehensively and publicly rejected him will be seen by many as a unique circumstance. And as such unlikely to sway many people's attitude on RWO . . . . . unless he backs it up against Port.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Hope springs eternal ...
    and sometimes pays off.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

That's the first time i have seen him look like he knows what he's doing. It needs to happen a few more times before I become a believer.

Just wild about Harry
    His skill and ability is undoubted. The problem is that he STILL cannot use his body to outmanouvre and opponent. I love watching him play his best and was cheering him on during the game. His problem is that when one-on-one with a defender, he chooses to try to reach around the defender to mark the ball, rather than use that massive frame of his to move the defender out of the way. It drives me crazy because he could be anything!
    By the way, I think he always plays his best games just before his contract is up...

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    That's the first time i have seen him look like he knows what he's doing.
    Spot on. And I loved it

Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    I just want to congratulate one of my favourite Bloods on his performance on saturday. Worked hard all day, lead, tackled, kicked a few goals and had a terrific game to stick it up the club who said he's a dud. Full credit to Whitey. He's been from one game in the seniors and the scapegoat after a loss and came in and given his all. He's been dropped and given his all at reserves. Whatever is asked of Whitey he cops it on the chin and works hard. No sulking. No being gifted games. A great team player with a wonderful attitude. Will probably move on at the year's end but whatever he does, he'll always have a soft spot as one of my favourite swannies.
    I had a tear in my eye when he kicked that goal on the run and the stupid commentators called it a fluke. He does that sort of thing in the Twos all the time. He is really respected and loved by the kids in the Twos. He encourages them and gives them confidence all the time. He also protects them. Jesse is a real team man but the problem has been his confidence and the fact he is not a natural at some things, like game awareness. He has worked very hard on all his game and he does what the coaches ask every time. I hope he can continue at this standard because if anyone deserves success it is this bloke. He is very well liked at the club too.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think at some point you have to acknowledge that it shows a bit of heart to bust a gut week in, week out in the reserves knowing that you're a fair way down the pecking order. Point to prove game or not, when the team needed him he was ready and he delivered. I know some will disagree, but I thought he did the same in his previous run for the year when he was brought in to ruck.

He pulled off some big plays that that would have meant a lot to him personally, but I loved that he stayed true to form and saved his biggest grins and celebrations for his teammates' goals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    The problem is that he STILL cannot use his body to outmanouvre and opponent.
    I must admit, I don't really recall seeing that in this game; I'm pretty sure he took a couple of marks that were that type of contest (the mark he ended up kicking a behind from in front and the mark to turn over from an Adelaide kick-in that ended up in a goal to McGlynn), I don't recall him really being outmarked in a contest like that?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

i too think he has been - in my view unfairly - seen as the scapegoat for a couple of our worse games over the past two seasons. i am really pleased for him and hope he gets another couple of games.

i would expect he will be first player out again but there remains a lot of love for him amongst swans fans and i will always be one of those who hopes he continues to do well.

whenever you hear that someone is consistently too good at neafl level they come up and do well enough. it has been the case that jesse has done more than well enough to deserve a run and in the face of a coaching staff that seem to take him on as the last player on first player off, his commitment has been very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I think at some point you have to acknowledge that it shows a bit of heart to bust a gut week in, week out in the reserves knowing that you're a fair way down the pecking order. Point to prove game or not, when the team needed him he was ready and he delivered. I know some will disagree, but I thought he did the same in his previous run for the year when he was brought in to ruck.

He pulled off some big plays that that would have meant a lot to him personally, but I loved that he stayed true to form and saved his biggest grins and celebrations for his teammates' goals.

- - - Updated - - -

I must admit, I don't really recall seeing that in this game; I'm pretty sure he took a couple of marks that were that type of contest (the mark he ended up kicking a behind from in front and the mark to turn over from an Adelaide kick-in that ended up in a goal to McGlynn), I don't recall him really being outmarked in a contest like that?
    just on this point - big bad barry really outmarked someone using his body. reid certainly doesnt outmark using his body. are they failures - many here say the critical thing is that they are not being outmarked themselves - and that really hasnt happened in the two games he has played this year.

anyway i am just pleased for him that he has shown that he can play at this level again

Jesse took two very good contested marks Saturday, look at the replay folks, he also nearly took a screamer. I am sad that he has become the whipping boy due to his own under-confidence. It seems to me that what we and others have done to him could only erode his confidence even more. I also think that he has battled and come out the other side and seems to have the will to make it now. The problem as I see it is that he never really believed before. I will remind you of Teddy in 2010, he was at the crossroads, it could have been the end, down on confidence, playing like crap. But after going back to the Twos and getting some confidence back, helped I have no doubt by a Sports Professional, he is now in the All Australian team.

Confidence is a funny thing it can desert us when we need it most. All too often I have seen people of great ability fall by the way because nobody took the time to say you are a really great person you really deserve this. Just to say that can inspire a person. Jesse YOU are a really GREAT person and YOU really DESERVE to PLAY AFL.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast