Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Roos to Coach Demons in 2014

If Roos takes the Melbourne job it will just be for the money. It's a very long and difficult road ahead. At least at Brisbane he has a bit more to work with. The players do give it a go, not like the Dees. Vossy has made a lot of mistakes, but he would have instilled a pretty good work ethic I would imagine.

The rumour is the job is between Rocket and Mark Williams. Roos has always said he won't take an interstate job until his kids finish school. Tyler was 16 twelve months ago so he is 17 now. Dylan would be 19 now. Depends on whether Tyler does his HSC at 17 or 18 as to when he finishes school. It could be this year or next. In other words he might not be coaching again until 2015. But Roos has to have the passion to coach and I don't know that he has. The position he has now as head of the Swans Academy is much less demanding than a Senior Coaching position and he actually gets to spend time with wife Tami and his sons.

In other words he gets to go home at night and sleep well knowing he doesn't have the worry of coaching another win every weekend.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    One million a year would change anyone's mind. That's double the Prime Ministers Salary. He's sold his house, the boys can go study on campus anywhere. He's taking the call.
    HP

Why would he take a pay cut?

Goes up to 11
    Roosy can take the job, or he can decline it; either way I'll still love him because he's Roosy.

Anyway I reckon he's a much better chance of taking the Brisbane job when it invariably comes up...

I seem to remember Roos saying that the family would head to the USA for a couple of years when the boys finished school
    Can't remember where I read that though

You'd have to be dead keen to take that job on and Roosy clearly isn't. I'd be inclined to think Rocket will get the nod, but this is Melbourne we're talking about.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Paul Roos has gone from saying that he'll never coach again to saying the following in a recent Herald Sun article...

"Look, I will take a call," Roos said.

"I am happy to talk if they want me to talk now that Neeld has gone.

"If (Melbourne) did want to have a chat, well we'd see what would happen then," he said.

"The thought of coaching Melbourne doesn't scare me, not the club itself or any other club," he said.

"In some ways it's the great coaching challenge, but you have got to be thinking like a coach to take it on if you are going to do that role."

"I think money is the wrong reason to do it," he said. "Everyone needs money, but you have to have more of a motivation to want to coach."

But he said the "goal-to-goal line of (James) Frawley, (Colin) Garland, (Chris) Dawes and (Mitch) Clark with (Nathan) Jones is solid".

"Their lack of depth and run through the midfield is the most significant problem they need to overcome, but they have some talented players."

...I think he kept saying 'No' whilst Neeld was officially coach, but now that he's not...Roos is throwing his hat in the ring!

Paul Roos to be coach of the Melbourne Demons in 2014!!! Bookmark it.

Just wild about Harry
    The 1 million dollar call is a furphy. Journalists are not involved in those sort of discussions, particularly when the board has probably only just decided on a figure. The amount of rubbish that is printed just to sell papers is mind-boggling. It takes me back to the good old days of when the Swans used to be the big bogey club up north who would offer 'big dollars' to any player who was negotiating their contracts at their own club. Surprisingly, all of these players got a better deal with their own club while the Swans hierarchy never seemed to know of any offers being made at the time. I imagine that there are a few clubs who have now started behind-the-scenes discussion with a few to offering contract extensions to their current coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    The 1 million dollar call is a furphy. Journalists are not involved in those sort of discussions, particularly when the board has probably only just decided on a figure. The amount of rubbish that is printed just to sell papers is mind-boggling. It takes me back to the good old days of when the Swans used to be the big bogey club up north who would offer 'big dollars' to any player who was negotiating their contracts at their own club. Surprisingly, all of these players got a better deal with their own club while the Swans hierarchy never seemed to know of any offers being made at the time. I imagine that there are a few clubs who have now started behind-the-scenes discussion with a few to offering contract extensions to their current coaches.
    I would also suspect that if Roos' hat is in fact out there and in the ring that there might be a few other clubs that would like to make a call to him.

Senior Player
    Roos has been linked to every available coaching position, and some that weren't, ever since the Longmire hand-over. If he puts pen to paper with a club, I'll pay it some attention at that point. Until then...

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Roos has been linked to every available coaching position, and some that weren't, ever since the Longmire hand-over. If he puts pen to paper with a club, I'll pay it some attention at that point. Until then...
    Yep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast