Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft bombs

I remember seeing LJ play at the state carnival leading up to the draft for South Australia. He was a very good junior key position forward and I thought an excellent choice when we got him but its amazing how things work out.

Just shows how difficult it is to make it at the highest level.

We were all pretty enthusiastic about him at the time he was drafted too. It does show that despite how good our list management has been for the most part, even we are not immune to drafts or trades that don't work out. I think we as a club have been much quicker than most other clubs to realise that if we have a system that is lifted straight from the American one, that trading as well as drafting is the key to staying competitive. We are now lucky that we are a desirable club to come to in the free agency era as it's going to be harder for bottom clubs to make headway in the future (Gold Coast & GWS aside as they have talent to trade).
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Reckon Dan O'Keefe was the true definition of a draft bomb. Overreached with a first round pick in the superdraft for a player that never looked like he was going to make it. Interesting to note that one K Tippett was picked up approx 16 selections later!

As others have noted, LJ was rated highly and a KPF was required at the time

If I remember correctly, Hanners wasn't even on the recruiting radar. Roosey saw him play school footy and set a watch on him. Pounced before the other clubs knew what was in the wind and we got him while he was still at school.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Reckon Dan O'Keefe was the true definition of a draft bomb. Overreached with a first round pick in the superdraft for a player that never looked like he was going to make it. Interesting to note that one K Tippett was picked up approx 16 selections later!

As others have noted, LJ was rated highly and a KPF was required at the time
    Does anyone know where Dan O'Keefe is now?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Does anyone know where Dan O'Keefe is now?
    Playing golf now apparently - which makes our selection look even worse!!

Senior Player
    For some reason I remember looking at our options in that draft very closely. We definitely needed a Key Forward at the time and there were several good ones on offer including Trengrove, Schoenmakers, LJ and McKernan. Having watched the championships closely I liked the look of Shoenmakers because he was younger and had more potential to grow than LJ, he was also the one that was delivering the ball beautifully to LJ on a regular basis. I though that he would be a "Shoe-in"
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    For some reason I remember looking at our options in that draft very closely. We definitely needed a Key Forward at the time and there were several good ones on offer including Trengrove, Schoenmakers, LJ and McKernan. Having watched the championships closely I liked the look of Shoenmakers because he was younger and had more potential to grow than LJ, he was also the one that was delivering the ball beautifully to LJ on a regular basis. I though that he would be a "Shoe-in"
    LJ was the younger one (1991 birth-Schoenmakers 1990), Scottee. I would have thought we went for him on that same reasoning you gave. They were the 2 key forwards for SA that year and were both very good players.
    I think that draft year was the last one for 17 year olds. hence we went for 2 of them with our first 2 picks.

As for Hannebery he was always on the radar it was just a matter of where he went.
    I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Theres probably a parrallel universe somewhere where we did draft Sho-ey instead of LJ . . . . . . . and the posters on the parallel version of RWO are at this very moment bemoaning the way we wasted a choice on Sho-ey who was clearly obsessed with his mother. Keen viewers of under age football KNEW he was going to run back home after 2 seasons at the Swans, long before the unfortunate incident in that public lavatory.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge.maverick View Post
    LJ was the younger one (1991 birth-Schoenmakers 1990), Scottee. I would have thought we went for him on that same reasoning you gave. They were the 2 key forwards for SA that year and were both very good players.
    I think that draft year was the last one for 17 year olds. hence we went for 2 of them with our first 2 picks.

As for Hannebery he was always on the radar it was just a matter of where he went.
    Thanks for the correction wedgy, however my reason for favoring Schoenmkaers was the fact that he came from a parallel universe where younger is older.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Towers.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Towers.
    Haha

Still to early to call at this stage DA but I agree that it's disappointing that a mature age recruit presumably bought in for an immediate impact has failed to show much at NEAFL level even.

In contrast the Pies picked up Sam Dwyer and Kyle Martin in the rookie draft and they have both looked good at senior level

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast