Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rampe (the Great Dane)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    No but he just signed a two year deal!

Rampe reaps the reward for seizing his Swans chance
    Great news! His improvement has been staggering - a joy to watch that raking left foot out of the back line, growing in confidence every week - he's this year's AJ!

Time to revive this thread!

I've gone on record and said that Dane is my favourite player from the current playing group (although there are so many to choose from!). Just want to collect and post a few bits fanboy memorabilia here:

Love this article and, especially, video with Dane before his debut: Rookie Rampe-d up for debut - sydneyswans.com.au - to me he radiates joy, confidence and maturity. Akin to the passion and determination he continues to embody.

Here's a recent article from Fairfax - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/he-...08-p51vss.html - where Macca says that after Rampe found out he was being appointed captain, the first person he called was Macca to say thanks for helping him on his journey and teaching him a few things. Macca says that it was "one of the top moments of my career when he did that". He also discloses a couple of interesting tidbits like Rampe has OCD and a neat freak at home despite getting around the place barefoot and that he plays the piano. (This last factoid made me wonder about a reference to Teddy Richards talking about Rampe and panpipes - anyone know what this was about?)

There was the interesting discussion on this board in Rampe's early days about whether he was better or not than Heath Campbell who we had just let walk to Port Adelaide: Rampe v Heath. Then there was the thread where there seemed to be a consensus that Rampe was better than Armstrong but Ludwig threw a cat among the pigeons when he suggested he might drop Mattner in favour of Rampe if need be (back in 2013 when Mattner was just months past his flag saving tackle in the 2012 granny no less): Rampe > Armstrong. History will judge Ludwig kindly in this instance for his prescience. Actually, it was interesting reading a few of Ludwig's posts in this thread, where he was quite deferential towards Horse and before he developed his latter day insouciance.

On 8 April 2015 Doctor answered the question about how many games Rampe would play thusly: "As long as he keeps his head, and doesn't start buying into the hype, he should play 150. " Notwithstanding the incident with the chain fence at Moore Park, Rampe made it! Well done, Doctor.

Rampe's fans have included Alex Rance and Brad Scott.

I want to conclude this gallimaufry of Rampe miscellania with a link to his video to his passionate captain's address ahead of our season this year: Rampe's passionate address - sydneyswans.com.au.

To add to bloodspirit’s gallimaufry on Rampe, also good listening on ‘Conversations with Cal’ podcast included at this link:

‎Conversations with Cal on Apple Podcasts

Ps: All Cal’s interviews are really interesting for learning a bit more about Swans players.

Pps: ‘gallimaufry’ - bs, you are the first person I’ve known to use this wonderful word!

Thanks Meg - I'm listening to the podcast now. A pleasure to get to know Dane a bit more. I look forward to listening to more of Cal's interviews too.

There's a bunch of unusual words similar to gallimaufry - salmagundi is another that does the same job. I like words. It's good to find an excuse to bring out some of the less hackneyed ones. I enjoyed your descriptions of art and museums in Madrid and thereabouts a while back.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Isn't gallimaufry the planet where Doctor Who came from? Possibly the same planet you might think Rampe also comes from given some of his recent antics.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Isn't gallimaufry the planet where Doctor Who came from? Possibly the same planet you might think Rampe also comes from given some of his recent antics.
    He's certainly not from Krypton (as his leap onto the goalpost showed).

Brain explosions obscure Rampe's role in Swans' climb up AFL ranks

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...20-p51zpj.html

Sydney's return to their miserly ways in defence has provided the impetus for the Swans' climb back up the ladder after their horror start to the season - and captain Dane Rampe has played a big part despite his strange behaviour.
    Last edited by liz; 21st June 2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Please don't repost in full content from another site. Just a paragraph or two, plus a link, is fine

Can we please stop referring to Rampe’s brain explosions plural?

I’ve said this before but - Rampe had ONE brain explosion - climbing the goal post was a bit inexplicable.

But going over the mark while trying to distract the player kicking for goal is an error of execution - you know, like tackling a player too high in the goal circle in the last 30 seconds. Would you call that a brain explosion? Or an error/mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Can we please stop referring to Rampe’s brain explosions plural?

I’ve said this before but - Rampe had ONE brain explosion - climbing the goal post was a bit inexplicable.

But going over the mark while trying to distract the player kicking for goal is an error of execution - you know, like tackling a player too high in the goal circle in the last 30 seconds. Would you call that a brain explosion? Or an error/mistake?
    That is a quote from Fairfax. Dane also called the umpire a little girl, which could be considered another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    That is a quote from Fairfax. Dane also called the umpire a little girl, which could be considered another one.
    No he didn't. He said he spoke like a little girl, i.e. too softly to be heard at a footy match.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    No he didn't. He said he spoke like a little girl, i.e. too softly to be heard at a footy match.
    You are correct "talks like a little girl"
    My point, grammar aside, was this could be considered another brain explosion.

The Great Dane

Yes or No

Best FB in the Comp ?

Defensively he dominates his opponent week in week out

Then his counter attack is absolutely elite this year

His intensity and leadership has been on the razors edge ie 110% every week..... but so so willing and his backline is shaping up better and better for a new mob
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast