Thread: Brothers playing in the same team

Veterans List

Brothers playing in the same team

So when was the last time 2 sets of brothers played in the same team on the same day.

I guess it has happened so can the smarties on here get their minds to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    So when was the last time 2 sets of brothers played in the same team on the same day.

I guess it has happened so can the smarties on here get their minds to work.
    According to the Daily Telegraph: Paul Morwood, Tony Morwood, Michael Wright and Stephen Wright all played alongside each other for the Swans in 1980.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Just my guess, but some sort of combination of the Shaws (Heath and Rhyce) and the Clokes (Jason, Cameron and Travis)?

BUt if we play Collingwood we ould see 4 sets of brothers
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

There is a difference between the two examples given so far that makes our current effort pretty special.
    The Wright/Morwood combination was as a result of recruiting zones meaning it was more likely that brothers were recruited to the same team (often unavoidable) & the lists were bigger meaning fringe players had a better chance of being retained).
    The Cloke/Shaw combo occurred because of father/son picks, again enabling brothers to join each other.
    Ours is a quirk of fate to a degree. Teddy coming via Essendon, Xav via the Rookie draft (many of those kids never get a senior game ... & all the more remarkable for the decade age difference ... in reality, far chance they might never have played together because of the sheer age disparity alone!). The Jacks were probably more likely to play together, but for all 4 to do it in today's game is remarkable.
    This doesn't even consider the massive run of injuries ... 9 premiership players stood between Xav and the other 3 playing together. I'd have happily put $10 at the start of the season on the odds of that not happening
    Need to get Ben Reid & Heath Shaw into our side to select the quinella!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Need to get Ben Reid & Heath Shaw into our side to select the quinella!
    There are other options. We could lure either Mark McVeigh or Peter Everitt out of retirement, or trade for Brett Goodes at the end of the year. Or possibly more plausibly, Tippett and Marsh each have a brother likely to spark interest in this year's draft, though with Tippett it will depend on whether he wants another shot at AFL or if he is happy continuing to ply his trade in the SANFL.

Swans have a rich sense of family connections. Danihers began with us.

Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    Swans have a rich sense of family connections. Danihers began with us.
    Only half of the Danihers did

Graham & Neil Cordy (& they played in the same team ... the rest are just the "rich sense of family - brotherly - connections")
    Glenn & Brett Page
    Kevin & Pat Hogan
    Robert & Neville Stibbard

& I'm not sure about the Ahmats ... I think they were cousins
    Last edited by goswannies; 2nd July 2013 at 08:34 AM.