Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sydney v Melbourne

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Reid could have been injured in the Magoos as well. Horse said he had lots of scans. Surely he ran hard in training without any ill effects. The Meds must have thought he was okay to go. It turned out not to be right. Now they will likely keep him out until the finals. Would not be surprised if he doesn't play again this year.
    I agree he could have been injured in the magoos, but at least he can also go in being told he's only playing 10 minutes a quarter and only to run in straight lines. I honestly don't get why he was brought straight into the seniors.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Sure, we were far from our best but I can live with a 5 goal win away from home, no matter who the opposition is.

Go Bloods!

Veterans List
    I think we should give Melbourne some credit. They had a crack all game. If we had not missed so many set shots then it may have been a blowout. We had 39 clangers and can't wait for tomorrows paper to see how many of these are attributable to Reg. Just about the worst game I have seen by a footballer and McGlynn wasn't too far behind him.
    Thought we over possessed at times even to the point of lairising.
    Last edited by Nico; 7th July 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    My mother always told us liarising would bring us undone .
    HP

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    My mother always told us liarising would bring us undone .
    HP
    I really don't think that was the problem today. Melbourne's tackling was good, not quite PA good when we played them but enough to ensure that we weren't allowed to be clean as we would have liked or would have expected (Melb were the worst tackling team coming into this game)

Veterans List
    The free against Pyke in the last quarter was because he patted his opponent on the back lightly before the umpire threw the ball in. New rule says you can't make contact before the ball is thrown back in. Talk about taking the rule to the nth degree. It looked like a friendly touch and certainly wasn't forceful, and didn't affect the opponent at all.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The free against Pyke in the last quarter was because he patted his opponent on the back lightly before the umpire threw the ball in. New rule says you can't make contact before the ball is thrown back in. Talk about taking the rule to the nth degree. It looked like a friendly touch and certainly wasn't forceful, and didn't affect the opponent at all.
    It was a pretty strange free, but I did love hearing Mike lecturing the umpires on the rules- it sounded for all the world like a guy who'd been given a rule book and told to study it to learn the game.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    Won 3 of our last 4 at the mcg!

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    It was a pretty strange free, but I did love hearing Mike lecturing the umpires on the rules- it sounded for all the world like a guy who'd been given a rule book and told to study it to learn the game.
    I think you have stumbled up on the solution. If we give the rule book to Canadian Rugby players and put three on the field at a time we might get some week-to-week consistency.

I really feel like the umpiring is going off the rails. I don't blame the individual umpires, who do a thankless job as best they can, but something has to be done. Whoever is giving them their instructions is a clown.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I think we should give Melbourne some credit. They had a crack all game. If we had not missed so many set shots then it may have been a blowout. We had 39 clangers and can't wait for tomorrows paper to see how many of these are attributable to Reg. Just about the worst game I have seen by a footballer and McGlynn wasn't too far behind him.
    Thought we over possessed at times even to the point of lairising.
    You can see them on the AFL site. Grundy 4 along with Mitchell and Pyke. Malceski had 6.

Senior Player
    That free was ridiculous. The rule isn't that you can't make contact - it's that the ruckmen can't be within a metre of eachother before the ball is thrown in. Pyke held his place and his opponent walked into the restricted area. By the letter of the law, it should have been a free to Pyke.

Goes up to 11
    The umpiring was fairly poor but I reckon the Demons got shafted by the umps more than we did. We benefited from some pretty poor decisions a few times.

I'm normally a Reg fan and I appreciate the hard work he usually does but today was a shocker for him. 4 clangers seem a few less than the stuff-ups he had - hopefully it was just an off day for him and he'll bounce back at home next week.

I'm glad we got out of there with the 4 points and kudos to the Dees for having a go. We certainly didn't have it all our own way and hopefully we'll smarten up for the Jaffas next week...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast