Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injury update please!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Injury update please!

I've gone through the season thinking that we're in great shape - in the top 4 and so many players out injured. What will we be like when we get the injured players back?

All of a sudden, we're up to Round 16 and we're losing more to injury than we're getting back.

Can anyone with a bit more medical understanding than me give a realistic appraisal of where our injured players stand?

It seems LRT is out for the season.

Reid's "at least 6 week" sounds like "out for the season" to me.

Goodesy's "six weeks" also sounds ominous.

How close are Rhyce and Jetta to returning?

Considering the injuries to so many top players, I think we've been absolutely sensational this year but the fact that some players don't seem close to returning puts a serious dent in our finals chances.

On the Rookie List
    Yeah I've never felt so frustrated. We got Tippett to play alongside our players, not replace them. Winning 3-4 finals matches against the other top 4 teams sporting less key injuries than us is wishful thinking.

Veterans List
    The competition is fierce come finals and usually teams with small injury lists are the ones that get to the last Saturday.

We've had a good previous years but been hit badly this year.
    In Defence AJ is probably the biggest blow and that has been magnified by Mattners retirement and Shaws long absence.
    In attack Tippett hasn't so far been the topping on the cake because we've lost LRT, Reid and Goodes for long periods.
    Midfield has only had Jetta missing recently, although his form was patchy leading up to that.

Reading this mornings injury report, I think we can add LRT to the won't play in 2013 list. Shaw does seem close to resuming but has missed a huge amount of the season and therefore fitness base. Reid becomes problematic now I reckon, but Goodes will appear late in the season, on one leg if necessary!

What the long injury list does is make us extremely vulnerable to further injuries as the critical mass of senior players is right on the cusp at present. We really need to get some back in the next few weeks without losing any. Top four could very easily slip out of our grasp, we may come to rue the draw with Freo and the loss to Port.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    The competition is fierce come finals and usually teams with small injury lists are the ones that get to the last Saturday.
    Alternatively, you could say the teams which are able to make the most of the players brought into the team will do best. Reference the popular conclusion that our bottom six won us the premiership last year. Jared Crouch is doing a fine job of keeping us in the race in this respect.

However, I agree with your conclusion - we're toeing a very fine line to losing a critical mass of senior players.

Quote Originally Posted by DK_ View Post
    Reference the popular conclusion that our bottom six won us the premiership last year.
    Problem is, our bottom six in the GF last year were probably 19, 20 , 21, 22, 23 and 24th best on our list. This year we look to be going into the business end of the season with our bottom six being 25 thru 30, if that.

I still hold hope tho, this club just doesn't roll over and die anymore....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by DK_ View Post
    Alternatively, you could say the teams which are able to make the most of the players brought into the team will do best. Reference the popular conclusion that our bottom six won us the premiership last year. Jared Crouch is doing a fine job of keeping us in the race in this respect.

However, I agree with your conclusion - we're toeing a very fine line to losing a critical mass of senior players.
    Completely agree with this point. I fear we are one or two players (especially should we lose good quality midfielders) from really struggling and a promising season being completely ruined by injury.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Problem is, our bottom six in the GF last year were probably 19, 20 , 21, 22, 23 and 24th best on our list. This year we look to be going into the business end of the season with our bottom six being 25 thru 30, if that.

I still hold hope tho, this club just doesn't roll over and die anymore....
    That's what I love about our club, we don't ever know when we are beaten anymore. I know its unlikely, but even if not one of our missing stars came back, I'd still give us a genuine chance of winning the flag if we finish top 4. But we are sooo close to having lost a critical mass that we probably can't recover from.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

So it would seem....

Out for the season : Definitely

1) Alex Johnson (gone)
    2) Marty Mattner (gone)
    3) Lewis Roberts -Thompson (very nearly gone... medicos don't sound at all confident he'll be back this year)

Out for the season ; Probably

4) Sam Reid (6-8 weeks, means 3 months on the sidelines, returning on the eve of finals....unlikely)
    5) Gary Rohan ( Can't see them risking him after so long out...seems to me they are setting him up for next year)

Out for the season : Possibly

6) Adam Goodes (6-8 weeks takes him to the eve of the finals...if all goes well he should play)
    7) Ryce Shaw ( 4 months out, needs match and general fitness....and no recurrence!)
    8) Lewis Jetta ( After 5 weeks .."injury is 50% better"...doesn't sound to good to me)

Hmm...Agree with others, we'll need a lot of luck injury wise, and every thing to go right for those rehabbing, to have a decent shot at September glory...

There is certainly no margin for error.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 9th July 2013 at 05:17 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I actually don't mind if we don't win a premiership this year. I want to follow a team which has a good shot at the title every year and the injuries are hurting our chances this year, but helping them for next year because the younger players get good game time.

I'm unwilling to write off 2013 as a development year and so are the Swans. It may require a bit of luck, all premierships do, but a grand final win with what we have will be one for the ages. Our club, whatever the team's composition, can do this.

We are the Bloods.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That's what I love about our club, we don't ever know when we are beaten anymore. I know its unlikely, but even if not one of our missing stars came back, I'd still give us a genuine chance of winning the flag if we finish top 4. But we are sooo close to having lost a critical mass that we probably can't recover from.
    If we can avoid any more injuries, I think we are definitely capable of taking it out. From the team which took apart Adelaide with a near-perfect game of footy, only Goodes is missing, replaced by Tippett. Since then, our youngsters have gained match experience and are starting to have a real influence. Witness BJ's four goal haul and Mitchell's incredible continuing dominance.

I've got faith in Goodes returning. Saying a mere knee injury will keep Goodes out of the finals is like saying a paper cut would have made the Terminator give up on Sarah Connor. In all seriousness, his commitment and professionalism in managing injuries is legendary. If anyone can come back, it's Goodes.

Quote Originally Posted by swanwolf View Post
    I'm unwilling to write off 2013 as a development year and so are the Swans. It may require a bit of luck, all premierships do, but a grand final win with what we have will be one for the ages. Our club, whatever the team's composition, can do this.

We are the Bloods.
    F.. Yeah!!

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    So it would seem....

Out for the season : Definitely

1) Alex Johnson (gone)
    2) Marty Mattner (gone)
    3) Lewis Roberts -Thompson (very nearly gone... medicos don't sound at all confident he'll be back this year)

Out for the season ; Probably

4) Sam Reid (6-8 weeks, means 3 months on the sidelines, returning on the eve of finals....unlikely)
    5) Gary Rohan ( Can't see them risking him after so long out...seems to me they are setting him up for next year)

Out for the season : Possibly

6) Adam Goodes (6-8 weeks takes him to the eve of the finals...if all goes well he should play)
    7) Ryce Shaw ( 4 months out, needs match and general fitness....and no recurrence!)
    8) Lewis Jetta ( After 5 weeks .."injury is 50% better"...doesn't sound to good to me)

Hmm...Agree with others, we'll need a lot of luck injury wise, and every thing to go right for those rehabbing, to have a decent shot at September glory...

There is certainly no margin for error.
    Ernie Rohan plays his first game for the reserves this week. It is week 16 and there are still 7 games after this week to go. Rooster will play 30 mins this week, 60 mins next week and a full game the week after. That still leaves 5 games to get match fit for finals time. I think he will be in the mix in the last 3 weeks at the very least.

Goodes is only 5 weeks not 6-8 look on the Swans website.

Shaw is training now and wants to be back this week but the medicos are probably going to make him wait one more week. He will play reserves, nobody gets an automatic call up now.

Jetts had a scan and there was no damage so he has just got stress soreness. This will fix within a few weeks normally but he has taken a little longer but is quite near probably 2-3 according to the website and Matt Cameron. Remember 8 games still to go.

Reid may make it by finals time maybe not. LRT will not play by the looks of it.

Good things to happen Morto is fit.

Xav Richards is fit

Jesse is in hot form

Membrey is worth a try

Towers is starting to show why he was a no 1 draft pick

The form of the seniors is not too bad, we are not losing too many and there have been some beaut shocks.
    Brandon Jack has made the transition really well. Any kid of 19 and a few days that can kick 4 goals in an AFL game is a pretty hot kid and he will only get better.

Lambie is almost there and once he gets the one touch right he will be a star. That run to goal where he lost the bounce but he was never completely out of control is just a start and after BJ got another goal out of it. We need a few weeks of good weather to see just how good.

Luke Parker is starting to show just how brilliant he could be, some of his twists and turns have been sensational in the last few weeks.

Tippett is going mammoth. He is really doing his preseason.

Rampe is really good and so cool

Dre is a very good link man and long goal kick

Hannas, Joey & Kizza continually win ball and deliver

All the younger brigade have been pretty good

There are some older blokes who need to pick up the pace a bit. Reg, Bolts, even Teddy has been a bit scrappy on occasions, Mal (his kicking to advantage on Sunday about 40%), Ryano who gets so much of it and wastes at least 30% of what he gets every week and last week more. I wish he would lift his eyes, Benny so good most of the time but the last few weeks really down and his delivery has been atrocious. He had a similar patch last year.

Yes injuries are going to impact big time and a premiership may be beyond us this year but never say never. These young blokes are very determined and what's more bloody scarily talented. Let's see what transpires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast