Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 17: Sydney Swans Reserves v UWS Giants

Regular in the Side
    I did say Biggs aside. He has been going well but I am concerned for the other three. We are going to need to make some space for a swag of rookie promotions and these three would seem to be vulnerable and Biggs as well as I have him at number five in the rookie queue behind Rampe, B Jack, X Richards and Lloyd who seem to be all certainties for promotion.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Apologies for not reading your posts correctly. Rampe is the only certainty for mine. Jack and especially Richards are still quite raw and it wouldn't be out of the question to leave them on the rookie list for another year for them to develop, especially if spots on the senior list are at a premium. Lloyd has been really good but we've had plenty of onballers dominate NEAFL/AFL Canberra before and not make it at senior level. He is definitely someone worth persisting with but I wouldn't say he's a certainty just yet.

Biggs is too vanilla for me, in his current position anyway. I think when last year he looked and played better but playing on the wing is a luxury that not many players can be afforded at AFL level. I have severe doubts whether his defensive skills are sufficiently strong enough to make it as a half back flanker and without significant pace or size he won't make it in the midfield either.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Apologies for not reading your posts correctly. Rampe is the only certainty for mine. Jack and especially Richards are still quite raw and it wouldn't be out of the question to leave them on the rookie list for another year for them to develop, especially if spots on the senior list are at a premium. Lloyd has been really good but we've had plenty of onballers dominate NEAFL/AFL Canberra before and not make it at senior level. He is definitely someone worth persisting with but I wouldn't say he's a certainty just yet.

Biggs is too vanilla for me, in his current position anyway. I think when last year he looked and played better but playing on the wing is a luxury that not many players can be afforded at AFL level. I have severe doubts whether his defensive skills are sufficiently strong enough to make it as a half back flanker and without significant pace or size he won't make it in the midfield either.
    Biggs compares with Mal & Macca for size. I think he has been quite effective on the flank this year. his run & carry have been good and generally his kick ins are accurate. I have your doubts about his hardness though.

Wouldn't Lockyer & brown be running out of contract at the end of the year? Tony A too I should think. I was not impressed with Jordan in the Twos this week, too much sloppy delivery. He gets the ball ok and is good at avoiding the tackle but it is what he does after that I worry about. He looked to have very good delivery in the few games we saw of him last year but this year he hasn't come on.

Brown is probably worth persevering with I think but might be a victim of the draft push.

Definite Upgrades; Rampe, BJ, Xav

Maybe: Lloydy

Opti-pessi-misti
    Are Jake Lloyd and L Perris similar position/types of mid, from what you have seen? If they are, would the fact that we will most likely/should pick up Perris be a factor in whether Lloyd gets promoted?

Just quietly, I rate Lloyd Perris as high as any of them. I watched him with amusement then approbation as he organised the others, calmed down a situation, lead the way and played out the whole game. Academy player, and probably too young yet at 17 years of age.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Lloyd Perris gets the NEAFL Rising Star nomination. First time a Swan has received one from memory

YYAAAYYY they should pay me.

I mean approval, not approbation......must use more coffee.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Lloyd Perris gets the NEAFL Rising Star nomination. First time a Swan has received one from memory
    Can't wait to add this guy to our senior list A friend of mine knows a guy that has gone to school with Perris for quite a number of years, and he says that he is absolutely nailed on to be a star in the AFL one day.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Can't wait to add this guy to our senior list A friend of mine knows a guy that has gone to school with Perris for quite a number of years, and he says that he is absolutely nailed on to be a star in the AFL one day.
    He's definitely available to us for free isn't he? Have to nominate him on the Senior list though as other clubs would snaffle him if we waited till Rookie Draft.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow.....just checked out the Reserves votes and Jake Lloyd has polled in the top 5 (sometimes 6) in 11 out of 14 games!!!!....1 BOG. Man for a smallish (180 x 76) long distance running (15.3 beep) vanilla midfielder that is really impressive. Says a hell of a lot about work-rate and determination and a good footy brain. Club called him a "neat" midfielder......to my mind the neatest player in the AFL is Sam Mitchell - pretty much perfect delivery to 30 metres by hand or foot left or right.... yes please :-)

To put the votes in perspective, our 2 fast tall flankers from the Senior Draft (Marsh and Dick) have totaled 23 games for not a single vote!
    Mitchell 7 games for 4 vote efforts....2 BOGs
    Lamb 7 games for 5 vote efforts....3 BOGs
    Craig Bird 2 games for 2 BOGs :-)

The percentage of "in the votes" makes interesting reading

Bird 100%
    Walsh 83%
    Lloyd 78%
    Everitt 75%
    Lamb 71%
    Cunningham 67%
    Mitchell 57%
    Morton 50%
    Rampe 50%
    Armstrong 37%
    Biggs 35%
    Brown 28%
    Richards 27%
    Membrey 20%
    Jack 20%
    Towers 7%
    Lockyer 7%
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Hate to say to other watchers, but the Towers voting percentage does not surprise me. Sometimes I wonder if he is even playing that day and he should be hard to miss given the size of him.

Some of the others which appear low don't worry me. I see them doing stuff off the ball etc, and some of them are still built from pencils.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    The percentage of "in the votes" makes interesting reading

Bird 100%
    Walsh 83%
    Lloyd 78%
    Everitt 75%
    Lamb 71%
    Cunningham 67%
    Mitchell 57%
    Morton 50%
    Rampe 50%
    Armstrong 37%
    Biggs 35%
    Brown 28%
    Richards 27%
    Membrey 20%
    Jack 20%
    Towers 7%
    Lockyer 7%
    Great piece of research, very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Wouldn't Lockyer & brown be running out of contract at the end of the year? Tony A too I should think.
    Take a look at this wolftone.
    2013 - RWOwiki

Mumford
    Johnson
    Smith
    Parker
    Lamb
    Everitt
    Morton

All out of contract at the end of this year!!! Not to mention B. Jack, of course
    Rampe got 2 years a couple of weeks ago (presumably as a Senior Player seeing as he was elevated earlier in the season)
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast