Thread: Round 17: Sydney Swans Reserves v UWS Giants

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Round 17: Sydney Swans Reserves v UWS Giants

The Long and Winding Road
    NEAFL Round 17

Sydney Swans Reserves v UWS Giants
    Sunday 14th July 2013 9.30am
    Sydney Cricket Ground

Usually in a clash such as this I would highlight the return to form of the Reserves with their win against Eastlake in Newcastle last week and the challenging task they face against a confident Giants team who belted Tuggeranong to the tune of 186 points in their fixture, but in reality the result of this game pales into comparison with the big and wonderful news that long term injury victim Gary Rohan is set to play his first game of footy in almost 15 months. More on Gaz in the team list below.

The Swans have steadied the ship and remained atop of the Eastern Conference ladder but they know with tough games on the horizon against the Suns and Lions Reserves as well as another game against the Giants to finish off the year they can't afford to slip up today. Conversely, the Giants will want to take advantage of their relatively light injury list and hope to take away the precious 4 points to consolidate their position in the Top 5.

The Swans have beaten the Giants in both their meetings this year, continuing their great record against the fledgling club, having dropped only one of their eight matches against the Giants since the inauguration the NEAFL. They were somewhat lucky in Round 1 when a dominant but inaccurate Giants outfit couldn't capitalise on the scoreboard allowing the dead-eye dicks of the Ressies to hang on in a tight finish. The following clash in Round 8 was less of a contest with a depleted Giants side succumbing to the experience of the Swans.

Eastern Conference Ladder
    TeamPlayedWinsLossesDrawsByesForAgainstPercentagePoints
    Sydney Swans Reserves1394031499967155.02%36
    Belconnen13940315541208128.64%36
    Ainslie14860213631296105.17%32
    UWS Giants13760315101186127.32%28
    Eastlake1376031050115990.60%28
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Queanbeyan1266041088120490.37%24
    Hills Eagles1358031179137186.00%20
    Sydney Uni1349031151129588.88%16
    Tuggeranong1321103674157042.93%8

Past Meetings
    R2 UWS Giants 14.18 (102) defeated by Reserves 17.5 (107) @ ANZ Stadium

Goals: Morton 3, Membrey 3, Everitt 3, Weir, Jack, Head, Lloyd, White, Cunningham, Brown, Lamb
    Best: Everitt, Bird, White, Morton, Lloyd, Cunningham

R8 UWS Giants 11.12 (78) defeated by Reserves 19.13 (127) @ Blacktown International Sportspark

Goals: Membrey 5, Morton 3, Everitt 3, Walsh 2, Lloyd, Robinson, Mitchell, Wray, Kilpatrick, Brown
    Best: Walsh, Everitt, Biggs, Membrey, Lloyd, Mitchell

R1 UWS Giants 4.9 (33) defeated by Reserves 23.13 (151) @ ANZ Stadium
    The Swans began their NEAFL season with a bang kicking 8 goals in the first quarter and keeping the hapless and undermanned Giants scoreless. The rout continued throughout the game, with Mark Seaby, Jarred Moore and Dylan McNeil dominating the clearances, and Trent Dennis-Lane and Jesse White finishing off their teammates' good work with 10 goals between them.

Goals: Dennis-Lane 6, White 4, Seaby 2, Lamb 2, Pyke 2, Moore 2, Cass 2, Biggs, McNeil, Morton
    Best: Seaby, Dennis-Lane, Moore, White, Lynch, McNeil

R14 Reserves 18.21 (129) defeated UWS 6.6 (42) @ ANZ Stadium
    Poor conversion in front of goal didn't cost the Reserves anything but a bigger victory as they were too strong for the youngsters from UWS. Nick Malceski was in fine form, rebounding from half back in a dynamic display with ex-West Coast rookie Lewis Broome setting the stadium alight with 5 well taken goals.

Goals: Broome 5, Dennis-Lane 4, Gordon 2, Biggs, Mitchell, Spangher, McNeil, Moody, Potter, Moore
    Best: Malceski, McNeil, Meredith, Broome, Dennis-Lane, Potter

R19 UWS Giants 9.10 (64) defeated by Reserves 18.18 (126) @ Skoda Stadium
    The Giants jumped the Swans early to kick the first 3 goals of the match before the Swans clawed their way back in the contest to trail by only a goal. The 2nd half was a completely different story as the Swans caused the Giants to continually turn the ball over and hurt them on the rebound through their hard running and classy forwards. Morton led the goalkicking again but it was the key defenders in Heath and Lynch who were the real heroes keeping the Giants to just 2 goals after half time.

Goals: Morton 5, Lamb 4, Spangher 2, Crawford, Everitt, Heeney, Thurgarland, Roos, McNeil, Broome
    Best: Heath, White, Lynch, Moore, Lamb, Thurgarland

Recent Form
    Reserves
    RoundTeamVenueResultFA
    R1BYE    
    R2UWSAwayWIN107102
    R3Gold CoastHomeWIN11065
    R4TuggeranongAwayWIN23740
    R5Hills EaglesHomeWIN14886
    R6BYE    
    R7BrisbaneHomeLOSS81104
    R8UWSAwayWIN12778
    R9QueanbeyanHomeWIN15138
    R10AinslieAwayWIN12349
    R11BelconnenHomeWIN14049
    R12Gold CoastAwayLOSS5070
    R13BYE    
    R14NT ThunderAwayLOSS59112
    R15BrisbaneHomeLOSS57125
    R16EastlakeAwayWIN10949

UWS Giants
    RoundTeamVenueResultFA
    R1BYE    
    R2Sydney SwansHomeLOSS102107
    R3BrisbaneAwayLOSS62101
    R4AinslieHomeWIN14164
    R5BelconnenAwayWIN137127
    R6EastlakeHomeWIN15867
    R7BYE    
    R8SydneyHomeLOSS78127
    R9BrisbaneAwayLOSS48136
    R10Gold CoastHomeLOSS91120
    R11Hills EaglesAwayWIN10889
    R12NT ThunderAwayWIN12074
    R13Gold CoastHomeLOSS88109
    R14BYE    
    R15QueanbeyanAwayWIN18761
    R16TuggeranongHomeWIN1904

Last Round
    Eastlake 7.7 (49) defeated by Reserves 15.19 (109) @ Newcastle Sports Ground No 1
    Goals:
    Membrey 5, Towers 3, Fleming, Mumford, Cunningham, Lloyd, Delahunty, White, Webster
    Best: Lloyd, White, Biggs, Cunningham, Towers, Membrey

UWS 28.22 (190) defeated Tuggeranong 0.4 (4) @ Star Track Oval

Goals: Thornton 4, Redfern 3, Edwards 2, Ugle 2, Bugg 2, Wilson 2, Jaksch 2, Sumner 2, Whiley 2, Aylett, Growden, Golds, Tyson, Williams, Greene, Davis
    Best: Downie, Edwards, Bugg, Tyson, Whiley, Greene

Team List
    Listed players
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    1Tim MEMBREY10244(seniors emergency)
    7Harry CUNNINGHAM8717(seniors emergency) His great form in the midfield recognised with a emergency listing.
    10Mitch MORTON52613Unlucky series of events where he pulled out during the warmup of the Carlton game and then was the traveling emergency last week meaning he needs game time this week.
    16Gary ROHAN000The Rooster is back! Will only play a portion of the game, most likely coming on in the 2nd half to replace one of the emergencies resting for the senior game.
    19Tony ARMSTRONG706Quietly slipped out of the emergencies list this week and will find it hard to get back once other senior player return from injury.
    22Dean TOWERS12152Getting continuity playing as a key forward and looked lively in the highlights.
    23Jordan LOCKYER1313After flirting with being a flanker, has knuckled down into a key defensive role.
    27Daniel ROBINSON1293Form has slowed since a bright start to the year.
    28Matthew DICK920Has been playing in defence but with Richards back, Crouch has the option of switching him forward as he did so successfully against the Thunder a few weeks ago.
    31Harrison MARSH1260More time in the midfield beckons due to lack of other options.
    36Alex BROWN13312With topup Thomas Head back (see topups list below), should no longer be required as a backup ruckman.
    42Xavier RICHARDS10010(seniors emergency) Quad injury prevented him contributing last week, but will have plenty of choices in the tall Giants forwards. (no pun intended)
    44Jake LLOYD13935Has been polling well during the year and earnt his first BOG last week.
    46Shane BIGGS13119A flurry of votes, polling in 4 of the last 5 games.
    Changes
    In: Morton (traveling emergency), Rohan (injury), Richards (injury)
    Out: Jesse WHITE (seniors)

Morton will replace Membrey as the main goal threat while White has shown the capability of sneaking forward and kicking goals despite spending most of his time in the ruck. Towers has shown promising signs in the forward line and I hope he remains there in order to boost his confidence as well as give our side some potency.

Richards will rejoin the defensive group and along with Lockyer, Brown, Dick, Armstrong and Biggs will have their hands full against a very tall looking UWS team.

Cunningham, Lloyd, Robinson and Marsh will lead the midfield as they have done since the promotions of Tom Mitchell and Jed Lamb.

It will be interesting to see where Rohan plays, he of course was playing as a forward when he was hurt against North Melbourne last year. He may well initially resume as a deep lying forward to minimise the amount of running required but once he is up and going I wouldn't be surprised to see him coming off a wing or half back flank.

Academy Players/Topups
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    47Lloyd PERRIS210 
    50Stephen WRAY921 
    51James DUNN420 
    52Thomas GREEN100 
    53Jack HISCOX000Swans Academy and Rams U18 squad member
    54Dylan ROOS000 
    58Thomas HEAD450 
    59Jeremy KIEL100 
    60Jordan WEIR1151 

In: Dunn, Green, Head, Hiscox, Kiel, Perris, Roos, Weir, Wray
    Out:
    Josh AVIS, Ryan COUGHLAN, Jacob DAWES, Will DELAHUNTY, Jeremy EDDY, Blake ERICKSON, Kurt FLEMING, Jay LEWIS, Daniel LLOYD, Max MUMFORD, Josh POLGLASE, Matt SPINKS, James WEBSTER

1 to be omitted.

Head returns after an injury and RAMS duty, he was quite impressive as a tall forward/relief ruck. He will offer much needed height in the forward line. Weir had been filling in as a tall forward in Head's absence but may return to his more natural defensive post. Perris also returns after a great U18 carnival winning the NSW-ACT MVP award and All-Australian selection on the interchange. Hadden has played well both as a small forward and on the wing, Dunn also across half-forward this year as well as last year while Wray, the most experienced of the topups can slot in the midfield or one of the flanks.

Reserves leading goalkickers
    • Mitch Morton 26 (5)
    • Tim Membrey 24 (10)
    • Jesse White 23 (9)

For full list: 2013 Goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters
    • Jake Lloyd 35 (13)
    • Jed Lamb 24 (7)
    • Jesse White 24 (9)

For full list: 2013 Best Votes - RWOwiki

UWS Giants Squad

B:40. Adam KENNEDY36. James STEWART21. Matt BUNTINE
    HB:47. Josh BRUCE46. Bret THORNTON20. Adam TOMLINSON
    C:15. Tim GOLDS42. Mark WHILEY43. Kurt AYLETT
    HF:34. Kristian JAKSCH51. Zac WILLIAMS45. Sam SCHULZ
    F:16.Nathan WILSON44. Tom DOWNIE48. Sam FROST
    Foll:50. Dean BROGAN28. Liam SUMNER31. Jacob TOWNSEND
    Int:41. Josh GROWDEN49. Joe REDFERN32. Gerald UGLE
     30. Lachlan PLOWMAN 

In: Brogan, Kennedy, Plowman, Schulz, Tomlinson, Townsend
    Out: Tomas BUGG, Sam DARLEY, Phil DAVIS, Shaun EDWARDS, Toby GREENE, Jonathan O'ROURKE, Dom TYSON

All 23 players are listed and as they showed against Tuggeranong last week form a mighty fine side. They have two genuine ruckmen in Brogan and Downie and also a part-timer in Tomlinson who was their 2nd ruck in the seniors against the Bulldogs in Canberra. Dyson the number 3 pick from 2 drafts ago hasn't played a senior game in 2013 thus far, and this will be his 7th match in a row for their reserves. Jaksch caused our defenders trouble in Round 1 kicking 4 goals and has 20 for the season from 8 matches.
    Last edited by ugg; 12th July 2013 at 06:15 PM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Another great rundown Ugg. Greatly look forward to reports from you and other ressie watchers about the form of Gary Rohan!

Regular in the Side
    Ugg How is it Saturday 14th July? Either Sunday or the 13th I would guess.

Senior Player
    Cunningham, White and Richards all named here. Does this mean Membrey's debut is confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Ugg How is it Saturday 14th July? Either Sunday or the 13th I would guess.
    Sorry Sunday 14th. Bad cut and paste job

Keep an eye on Harrison Green as a toppie. He had a very good U18 Championships as well as Lloyd Perris.
    I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!

I'm in Sydney and staying for the game on Sunday. Will definitely get out to the ground early for a bit of ressies watching.

I hope Gaz does play his 40 or so minutes in the 2nd half as Ugg suggested because I am unlikely to see the first half (will keep an eye on the @swansreserves Twitter account though).

I am also keen to see how young Lloyd Perris goes from the toppies. I just read that he was included in the U18 All Australian team after the national championships (SA, Vic Metro reps head U18s All Australian team - AFL.com.au).

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I'm in Sydney and staying for the game on Sunday. Will definitely get out to the ground early for a bit of ressies watching.

I hope Gaz does play his 40 or so minutes in the 2nd half as Ugg suggested because I am unlikely to see the first half (will keep an eye on the @swansreserves Twitter account though).

I am also keen to see how young Lloyd Perris goes from the toppies. I just read that he was included in the U18 All Australian team after the national championships (SA, Vic Metro reps head U18s All Australian team - AFL.com.au).
    He is a pretty impressive kid. Good to see Thomas Head back to join Jordan Weir. Jesse and Thomas will ruck and that leave Jordan to either go back on a tall or provide a tall target himself. hadden, Wray & Dunn have all played quite a bit of footy with us and are more than competent. I know giants are a very talented side but look who was in their side last week. Bugg, Davis & Greene are all quality players. They have replaced them with some other talented players, some of whom I am a bit nonplussed about losing their spots in the seniors. I can't understand Sheeds, against Melbourne he had the chance to really sock it to 'em and played the most inexperienced unit al year.

Changes to the original team

In White
    Out Membrey
    In Dylan Roos
    Out Doug Hadden, Daniel Cox

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I can't understand Sheeds, against Melbourne he had the chance to really sock it to 'em and played the most inexperienced unit al year.
    You suggesting he was trying to out tank the tankers?

They were leading by 3 goals at 3 quarter time. I don't think they were tanking for one second, just forgot how to close out a game.

Veterans List
    Stacks of talent in the UWS side, noted there are ND picks - two x 3, 5, 9, 10, 12. We hardly have anyone under a pick 12 on our whole list!

I like others am a bit mystified about the changes GWS make each week other than to think it's a strict rotation policy to get experience into the whole squad.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast