Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 17 - West Coast

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Changes for Round 17 - West Coast

There'll be at least one change with McGlynn just charged by the MRP - 4 weeks to 3 with an early plea. Sentence seems excessive but I think the best the Swans could do is to try to downgrade the intentional grading but he'll still miss a few games.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Bizarre.

This is the MRP that said the McKernan hit last week that everyone in footy damned was not intentional.

Based on that, how they could rule this intentional is beyond me.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    Methinks all the uproar over the past few weeks abut the MRP means they have now decided to come down hard. The AFL is a joke absolutely o consistency whatsoever. It will be interesting to see how weak they end up being over the Essendon issue.

Link: McGlynn offered three weeks by MRP - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au

If only we could get a review system that worked really well. Like the DRS.

Cometh the hour, cometh Cunningham?
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Veterans List
    Do you think they thought "he'll be out for a couple with the hammy so we'll add a week or two on top"? Whether we fight will give us a good idea of the extent of the injury. Stake is out for WCE too. And Pav for the Dockers v Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Stake is out for WCE too.
    I'll take a guess and say you're talking about the punching bag that plays for Brisbane??
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't look great on the replay, I don't think there's any way they can legitimately argue he was trying to punch for the ball so it will come down to trying to lay a tackle, but he has a clenched fist. At best he was trying to give him a fair whack to the arm/chest disguised as a legitimate attempt at a tackle- probably okay if he collects him around the arm, but not at all on if you get someone around the ear.

He hit him pretty hard, we'd be unhappy if it was one of our players. That Benny's a great teammate and he just happened to do it to someone who was effectively tagging one of his buddies does make you wonder (again, I think he tried to make him wear one but not particularly hit him in the head).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I'll take a guess and say you're talking about the punching bag that plays for Brisbane??
    I think he means Embley.

Out: McGlynn
    In: Cunningham

Dang - I never saw what happened. Someone at the game mentioned it, but I didn't see any follow-up. I did see KJ going a little OTT on a couple of occasions so maybe the Giants were a bit niggly.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    It doesn't look great on the replay, I don't think there's any way they can legitimately argue he was trying to punch for the ball so it will come down to trying to lay a tackle, but he has a clenched fist. At best he was trying to give him a fair whack to the arm/chest disguised as a legitimate attempt at a tackle- probably okay if he collects him around the arm, but not at all on if you get someone around the ear.

He hit him pretty hard, we'd be unhappy if it was one of our players. That Benny's a great teammate and he just happened to do it to someone who was effectively tagging one of his buddies does make you wonder (again, I think he tried to make him wear one but not particularly hit him in the head).
    All very sensible and no doubt a suspension is in order. The fact is he made contact with his head and he was concussed. But . . .

Compared to the McKernan one, is it really possible to say Ben's effort to strike him in the head was any more obviously intentional?

No. Hence the different gradings, and severity of sentence, are absurd.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    All very sensible and no doubt a suspension is in order. The fact is he made contact with his head and he was concussed. But . . .

Compared to the McKernan one, is it really possible to say Ben's effort to strike him in the head was any more obviously intentional?

No. Hence the different gradings, and severity of sentence, are absurd.
    Oh, completely agree with you there- it's become a farce. If there was even remote consistency with it fans (and I'm sure players and coaches) would be much happier with the findings.

What I don't particularly get here is intentional, I get that you need to be responsible for your own actions but in this case I don't think the intention was to deliver the resultant blow to the head. I imagine it's a massive can of worms if they start wavering on intent in regards to swinging your arm versus where you made contact (or can you get that altered?).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

How far away is Jetta?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast