Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEAFL and the immediate future of AFL Sydney

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The NT News understand the league will feature 14 teams with AFL reserve sides Brisbane, Gold Coast, GWS and Sydney, NT Thunder, and a new North Queensland team automatic inclusions.

The remaining suburban clubs from Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Sydney and Canberra will need to apply and meet strict criteria.
    Thunder excited over new league | Australian Football | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au

The NEAFL will only accept two out of the four Brisbane-based clubs (Aspley, Redland, Morningside and Mt Gravatt), and one of the three Gold Coast-based clubs (Southport, Labrador and Broadbeach) from the Northern Conference.

The Eastern Conference representatives will be made up of four of the five Canberra-based club (Ainslie, Belconnen, Eastlake and Queanbeyan) after Tuggeranong confirmed it will not re-apply for its licence, and one of the two Sydney-based clubs (Sydney University and the Sydney Hills Eagles).
    Sorry, the bloody edit button doesn't work for me.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    The concept of the NEAFL had been talked about in various forms in here and elsewhere for many years before it came into being.
    Was there ever a greater visionary than this bloke herehttp://www.redandwhiteonline.com/for...l=1#post333858?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Was there ever a greater visionary than this bloke herehttp://www.redandwhiteonline.com/for...l=1#post333858?
    And modest too!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    And modest too!

In all seriousness, when they named it NEAFL I actually went and searched on RWO thinking "I'm certain I read somewhere that somebody basically explained to do exactly that at some point!" and honestly had no idea who it was.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    We can all take a few deep breathes. Confirmation that the Eagles & Sydney Uni will be in the new NEAFL competition. Therefore it shouldn't impact the Sydney AFL too much if at all.
    Like I said on Saturday morning, TIM FREEDMAN's mob would be totally across it all and positioning themselves even as we speak.
    Never in doubt really !!

Can't wait to see how they magic their way through this one.

I think u will find nothing is confirmed until seasons end. Clubs will still need to demonstrate they can SUSTAIN and be financially viable in this comp. Clubs with leagues clubs backing and afl senior clubs u can see, any other club well that remains to be seen.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post

In all seriousness, when they named it NEAFL I actually went and searched on RWO thinking "I'm certain I read somewhere that somebody basically explained to do exactly that at some point!" and honestly had no idea who it was.
    It's true - sometimes we surprise ourselves!
    I've decided I like the concept anyway. If they can cover the costs it will give the game a lift by providing further stepping stones to the top, despite short term pain in some instances.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Like I said on Saturday morning, TIM FREEDMAN's mob would be totally across it all and positioning themselves even as we speak.
    Never in doubt really !!

Can't wait to see how they magic their way through this one.
    Can't wait to see who "magic" their way through and what magic is required? No magic required by the Eagles or Sydney Uni. They are simply continuing along their journeys in the NEAFL. Both have long term visions and I would think that both are very committed to the next step in the NEAFL comp. It will give players more of an opportunity to test themselves against AFL listed players and further enhance their chances of being drafted IF they are good enough. It certainly won't hurt to get 30+ touches and kick 2 goals off a HBF as an 18-20 year old against listed players that is for sure.

And Chatova, I can guarantee you that the Eagles AND Uni are in the new NEAFL combined competition in 2014. There are no concerns at the Eagles and if it wasn't for a poorly worded press release by the AFL then it wouldn't be in question. That press release has created more issues for them coming from all angles.

Is this the poorly worded part?

and one of the two Sydney-based clubs (Sydney University and the Sydney Hills Eagles).

Warming the Bench
    Negative Pekay. The actual release FROM the AFL on the NEAFL website is very grey and doesn't outline the actual changes communicated already to clubs. The only club not going into the new comp is Tuggeranong (unless clubs decide to pull out of own accord) which is outlined in their release. However they should have said ALL other clubs will enter.

The article in the NT News is totally inaccurate which is unusual for a newspaper to have incorrect information. The AFL weren't happy with it according to my sources. However, as my grandfather always said, you can only believe 2 things in the newspaper. The date and the price!

Aaaah, I copy now.

Very exciting though, 14 team comp. Saves the Thunder from persuing the SANFL option they were shopping around previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Aaaah, I copy now.

Very exciting though, 14 team comp. Saves the Thunder from persuing the SANFL option they were shopping around previously.
    Hope they don't fly Jetstar for the away games, they'll never make their games.

One less club in Canberra would see some movement, so I guess the other Canberra clubs will be circling Tugg's players as we speak. Still looks a tough ask for the two Sydney clubs but good luck to them having a crack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast