Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEAFL and the immediate future of AFL Sydney

NEAFL and the immediate future of AFL Sydney

Big changes announced this week to the structure of NEAFL going forward. It's going to have a major impact on Hills Eagles and Sydney Uni, and that will flow on to their PD teams, and all our PD clubs.
    The AFL is wanting to improve the 'pathway' for the elite, and to reward clubs that are well run and financially viable.

I think the world is going to change for us all.

The news release is full of corporate double speak but what do you think will be the impacts on Uni and Hills and how is that going to affect all PD clubs?

The AFL is to create a "SUPER NEAFL" next season or the one after, based around the 4 AFL teams, a new team plus some existing teams - there seems to be no place in it for SHEagles or Sydney Uni.
    So those two Sydney teams might dissolve and be absorbed back into their PD clubs (which would be so overwhelming as to be unworkable for us all). And all the semi-professional structures that they have put in place would be lost. Plus most of the players I'm guessing.
    Or else some other lesser elite competition is created that could carry them, and require some other of the best and brightest from other PD clubs. I can't see how that would be done, but it might be.
    Whichever, I can't imagine that SHEagles and Syd Uni would be totally hung out to dry like that (I understand that they have three year contracts with the AFL), and I'm betting that something will emerge that will impact on us all. And I'm also betting that SHEagles are totally across all this and will be positioning themselves even as we speak.

Tuggeranong have already withdrawn so it will be interesting to see what comes of this. Next year is to be an eight team comp according to the Canberra Times but in the future? Potentially there might be two teams from the ACT and two from Sydney in the future but who knows whether they would be composite sides or what. You'd have to assume so. No idea what this means for Uni and SH but it will be interesting to see how it shakes out!

Good!!!

The NEAFL was always a dumb idea in respect of SFL clubs stepping up to the AFL Reserves level. It has completely demeaned the local comp and apart from a few elite players it has had no great benefit.

Sooner ECE and Sydney Uni get back to where they belong in the SFL the better. An 8 team SFL, properly funded by the AFL, with promotion and relegation should now be a priority.

Tom Harley seems like an absolute talking head.....

Be very interesting how it pans out. Press release wish wash really. Adds no comfort for syd teams imo. Id dare say end of season clubs would be told exactly what is going on, so from now until then there will be plenty of stories and rumours.

Give Blacktown a licence in NEAFL and sign up the remaining couple of players who aren't employed by the AFL.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Press release on the Neafl site says that the conferences will be no longer

If that means the AFL are going to cover travel costs for the clubs to travel north/south every second week, it will be an awesome improvement in week to week standard and must be helpful to not only the Swans, but the two expansion clubs as well, which of course would make the AFL extremely happy...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Warming the Bench
    We can all take a few deep breathes. Confirmation that the Eagles & Sydney Uni will be in the new NEAFL competition. Therefore it shouldn't impact the Sydney AFL too much if at all.

Almost Football Legend
    The concept of the NEAFL had been talked about in various forms in here and elsewhere for many years before it came into being. I was skeptical that it would ever happen because of the travel costs. The idea of conferences was intended to reduce that expense - although there are inter-conference games, there's less than would otherwise have been the case.
    If they get rid of conferences and have the one NEAFL competition, the travel expenses will be enormous.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast