Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Team for Round 18 v Richmond: Rohan 'in the mix'

I'd switch BJ to sub, or drop him. He has looked a bit out of his depth , which is completely understandable. The only issue with dropping him is I have no idea who to replace him

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I can only presume that this is what you see happening in a few weeks. I think both will have their game time managed until they are both playing about 80-95% of a ressies game and then they'll be right to be picked.

I suspect still two weeks away for them both.
    No reserves game this weekend. The temptation may be too much for the selectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I'd switch BJ to sub, or drop him. He has looked a bit out of his depth , which is completely understandable. The only issue with dropping him is I have no idea who to replace him
    Fully agree. I think Harry would have been the one to come in when BJ did if Harry had been fit. Give Harry a full game. There are many possibilities for the sub, including Shaw or even Gaz. Membrey, Towers, Morton and Tony are all fully fit possibilities; it probably doesn't matter all that much. I would be tempted to give Membrey or Towers a taste.

BJ to sub and Cunningham for a full game or maybe Morton in for BJ

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Talk about misleading, what he actually said in the press conference was that he 'hoped' to get those players back 'over the coming weeks'. Rohan played 40 minutes last week, 70 minutes on Saturday in a reserves match, it's still a long way off from an AFL game. Even if we named him as the sub there is always the risk that he may be called into action early in case of an injury to a teammate. Not sure how much Shaw played.
    Shaw played 80 mins and pulled up blowing. He is not ready nor is Rohan. Both were sore after, which is normal as the muscles get used to match play. But maybe a couple of weeks yet. Another run with the Two's next week as we have a bye this week.

While Shaw returning is great news, does he return straight back to the half back role that Malceski and McVeigh are currently filling, as both of these players are outstanding at this rebound role, do we really want to tamper with it? Does McVeigh go back to being an outside mid or does Shaw change his role to play more wing or forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I can only presume that this is what you see happening in a few weeks. I think both will have their game time managed until they are both playing about 80-95% of a ressies game and then they'll be right to be picked.

I suspect still two weeks away for them both.
    Agree Hammer. If they are pulling up sore and puffed after a game they are not ready for AFL yet, NEAFL for 2 more I think.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Richmond will fancy their chances this Sunday, especially has they have (good) form against The Swans, but I'm pretty confident the current Tsumami footy Sydney are playing will bamboozle em. Am taking a Rugby League mate, who is undergoing a conversion (to AFL and The Swans) to his first game, so that's what I'm hoping.
    HP

4-Monster Offense

I was thinking about our current Ruck/forward setup with 4 'monster' players that can play both ruck and forward. At first it would seem that we are too top heavy, but now I am beginning to feel that this could be the killer strategy for 2013. The fact that no other team plays with this kind of setup makes us different and not the kind of offense that other teams get to play on during the season. Last game Richmond played only 2 tall defenders, Rance and Carlisle. These 2 would have enough trouble handling Tippo and Pyke. But who takes White and what happens when Mummy goes forward? I think they will have to bring in at least one additional tall defender.

Another possibility is to send Everitt forward at times, since Richmond only have 2 tall forwards.

We can also use a strategy to run Ivan Maric into exhaustion, so he can hardly function by the time the 4th quarter comes along. Mummy's got a big tank and can run him ragged, especially with help from other 3 monsters.

The WCE game shows that dealing with the 4 big men will have to be a focus for opposition teams. And that might make them forget that we have the best midfield in the comp.

I'm feeling confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I was thinking about our current Ruck/forward setup with 4 'monster' players that can play both ruck and forward. At first it would seem that we are too top heavy, but now I am beginning to feel that this could be the killer strategy for 2013. The fact that no other team plays with this kind of setup makes us different and not the kind of offense that other teams get to play on during the season. Last game Richmond played only 2 tall defenders, Rance and Carlisle. These 2 would have enough trouble handling Tippo and Pyke. But who takes White and what happens when Mummy goes forward? I think they will have to bring in at least one additional tall defender.
    The WCE game shows that dealing with the 4 big men will have to be a focus for opposition teams. And that might make them forget that we have the best midfield in the comp.

I'm feeling confident.
    One team that would really struggle to match up against the quad-monster offence is the Swans - good job we got the easiest draw in the AFL this year and don't have to play them.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

I suspect our most chequered recent history is against the Tigers. We've lost our last three matches against them at the G, but have a great record at the SCG.

Sydney v Richmond: Past 10 matches
    Overall: Sydney 7 Richmond 3
    SCG: Sydney 5-0
    MCG: Richmond 3-2

Rd 7, MCG. Richmond 13.13 (91) d Sydney 8.14 (62)

Rd 12, SCG Sydney 9.21 (75) d Richmond 9.11 (65)
    Rd 21, MCG Richmond 14.15 (99) d Sydney 7.14 (56)

Rd 3, SCG Sydney 16.15 (111) d Richmond 7.14 (56)
    Rd 14, MCG Richmond 14.5 (89) d Sydney 12.13 (85)

Rd 6, SCG Sydney 14.10 (104) d Richmond 11.9 (75)
    Rd 14, MCG Sydney 18.15 (123) d Richmond 10.8 (68)

Rd 10, SCG Sydney 21.13 (139) d Richmond 8.9 (57)

Rd 2, MCG Sydney 13.10 (88) d Richmond 11.6 (72)
    Rd 17, SCG Sydney 21.12 (138) d Richmond 10.12 (72)
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Towers in for BJ.

Cunningham to get a full game.

Towers the sub.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast