Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Team for Round 18 v Richmond: Rohan 'in the mix'

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Tigers have got lots of small runners, so I suspect BJ and Harry will get full games and our newest favourite, Jesse White, will get the vest. Rohan and Shaw are about as much chance as me, for this week.
    Alternatively, the strategy might be to go very tall in the forward line to stretch their defence. The need to cover lots of smaller runners is less important on the SCG than it might be on the MCG, particularly as the smaller players we do have are officially members of the hardest two-way running midfield in the AFL.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Alternatively, the strategy might be to go very tall in the forward line to stretch their defence. The need to cover lots of smaller runners is less important on the SCG than it might be on the MCG, particularly as the smaller players we do have are officially members of the hardest two-way running midfield in the AFL.
    All very fair points.

And your selection, Liz?

Given the way Cloke tore them a new one earlier in the season, and Tarrant and Black took them apart a few weeks ago, I reckon Horse will be looking at ways to fit another tall in our lineup!

My bet's on a swap between BJ and Cunningham, with an outside chance of BJ for Rohan.

Then again, my record on these things closely matches GWS win-loss ledger...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DK_ View Post
    Download the AFL app on your phone, go to the match centre and select 'live audio' in the top right-hand corner. Then you can choose which radio station calling the match that you want to listen to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    This
    I used this in Italy last year to listen to the Adelaide final. Worked a treat . Happy memories

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    All very fair points.

And your selection, Liz?
    Unless there is rain forecast, I'd leave the team as is, with possible consideration to swapping BJ and Cunningham, depending on how BJ is holding up physically.

We need to remember that Jack was initially selected as a short term replacement for Jetta, who had what was touted to be a short term injury. I reckon the coaches thought they might get a quarter or so to see how Jack performed at this level, and that would be the end of things for this year at senior level. Circumstances mean that Jack has had far more opportunity than the coaches would have imagined. At the time Cunningham was injured, or I suspect he would have been chosen instead. I was very surprised to see Jack get his chance so soon but he has well and truly out-performed my expectations. He makes mistakes due to inexperience, and there are times that you can tell he knows what he is trying to do but doesn't yet have the physical strength and/or skill to pull them off. But he's done lots of little things in traffic that haven't got as much attention as the goals he kicked against Melbourne but which show how quickly he is learning. He appears to have a real ability to learn things quickly. At some stage he will almost certainly return to the reserves but I expect him to put all he has learned to effect. I wouldn't be the least surprised if he emerged as an almost automatic first team selection next year if he gets a good pre-season into him.

So while Harry might be better equipped physically at the moment, while the team can continue to "carry" Jack and give him a chance to make small but important contributions, his football education continues to be fast-tracked.

I'm a fan of Harry too and would love to see him get a chance to play a full match or two before he is squeezed out by the likes of Shaw, Goodes (fingers crossed) and McGlynn returning to the side.

The Tigs are vulnerable to a tall forward line, especially on the small SCG. They, themselves usually only go with 2 tall forwards, so someone like Dre could wander forward as well and take a few marks inside 50. Why not have Dre tag Delidio. Force him to cover a taller player when the Swans have the ball. If Lids goes forward, no problem. Dre can cover it.

I wonder if the Tigers will bring in another tall or 2. I don't think their other tall players are much in favour these days.

I expect the Tigers to put up a good fight. I'm sure they want to challenge themselves against us and the Hawks, to see where they are. They also have a very deep midfield, only a bit less in experience and quality, but quite capable of playing 2 way football to a high level.

Unless there is rain forecast, I'd leave the team as is, with possible consideration to swapping BJ and Cunningham, depending on how BJ is holding up physically.
    I agree, Cunningham showed plenty of dash in his short stint last week. And a sub role for BJ at this stage, would see him come on full of confidence....A win, win.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I wouldn't be surprised to see Towers given a go this week. The stronger body etc. BJ looked a little tired last week in some of his efforts, a little scrappy and that is not unusual for a kid learning the caper. I have a feeling they might give him a rest to freshen him up and put the vest on deano. I might be wrong though. Between 6.30 tonight and 5pm tomorrow we will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Towers given a go this week. The stronger body etc. BJ looked a little tired last week in some of his efforts, a little scrappy and that is not unusual for a kid learning the caper. I have a feeling they might give him a rest to freshen him up and put the vest on deano. I might be wrong though. Between 6.30 tonight and 5pm tomorrow we will find out.
    I agree, BJ hs done extremely well and beyond everyones expectations but playing at this level would be extremely demanding on a body that hasnt had many afl preseasons. I would take him back to ressies, give cunningham a game (tippet would love it based on his kicking tohim last week) and that would leave the vest for a someone like towers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    This
    I used this in Italy last year to listen to the Adelaide final. Worked a treat . Happy memories
    Yeah might need to send you there again. Understand we are now certain to lose to C/wood

Just wild about Harry
    I dont know if anyone else has noticed, but our forwards dont dare drop the ball in the forward line, or one BJ will run off with it. It is amusing to watch as he is like one of those sparrows at an outdoor cafe that waits until your head is turned then jumps on the table and flies away with your chips. I have noticed that he does it particularly when a free kick is paid to someone like Tippett and he is off and running while the umpire is calling him back - a good attribute to have.

It would appear that Biggs is set to be named as an emergency at least.

Biggs elevated to senior list - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast