Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Parker about to sign for another 3 years

[QUOTE=ernie koala;617806]Out of the list coming off contract.

I would think the keepers, if at all possible, are:

Mumford
    AJ
    Smith
    Lamb

I hope we get the signature of these 4 players, especially Mumford. I believe his last few weeks have been very good and will only get better.

I think Lamb will sign on and even if did leave, we can quite easily cover him.

I have a bad feeling about AJ and Smooch. Both are very good players and should demand an increased salary. I just hope we have room in our cap to keep them both.

I think AJ is in a woeful bargaining position.

His spot has been more than covered (by a guy on 30K no less) and he's currently broken.
    -

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post

His spot has been more than covered (by a guy on 30K no less) and he's currently broken.
    I reckon the club will offer AJ a fair deal - I'd suggest they've done a lot this year to help getting him back on the park bigger and better next year and hopefully he repays the faith. He could be very important for us over the next few years, playing an LRT-style swingman role. I hope we keep him.

I hope we keep Smith too as he plays such an important and underestimated role - and the way he applies himself to the role would not be easily replaced.

We are stacked for midfielders at the moment, so if anyone is traded over the next few years, and I hope they aren't, we should be moving on some of our midfield depth, and leaving the rest alone.

It's basically impossible to speculate because we don't know who's contracts were front loaded and who's were back loaded. If Goodes was front loaded to the point where his last year is basically free... (poor example I know, because he's a veteran, but even then the spare money probably covers Morton and Everitt)

- - - Updated - - -

Despite that, I still like speculate as much as the next person. Keep in mind Jesse was apparently on big bucks, to the point where Adelaide wanted us to pay the last year of his contract, so that will free up some cash because he will take a pay cut. I personally would let mummy go before cutting too much of our depth. I'm imagining a trade that saw Mumford to GWS for an early pick, then that early pick on traded to GC for one of their surplus young talented rucks. Would free up a heap of space in the salary cap, and would see our midfield set up for 10 years of Mitchell, Parker etc working in tandem with a talented Ruckman.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I would keep Smith ahead if Parker, Mummy, Everitt no question. Critical to our back line and so dependable. Has had a few ordinary weeks this year which have been so notable as a contrast to his usual form. Indispensable player.

AJ is the heir apparent to Teddy and Reg's spot. He was sensational in his role last year as a 2nd year defender, but a few more years in the gym building upper body strength will see him start to match up on the oppositions key forwards, not the 3rd or 4th tall as he did last year.

I don't see too many other guys who will be able to fill that role from our current list, so short of going out and buying/trading for one, AJ looks the logical choice to me. Hence, I have no doubt he will be fairly compensated.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I would keep Smith ahead if Parker, Mummy, Everitt no question. Critical to our back line and so dependable. Has had a few ordinary weeks this year which have been so notable as a contrast to his usual form. Indispensable player.
    He was incredible on the weekend. He cut off WCE almost every time they looked dangerous and was also handy on the rebound. I'm not sure what else could be expected of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Veteran Site Admin
    There's a piece in today's SMH about Parker, including confirmation of his re-signing yesterday. I've just read it in the hard copy while buying my morning coffee. Not sure if the article is online. It wasn't on the Age this morning.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

That may be right, but there is no way the club won't want to keep him. You don't find many players that were as good as him in his 1st year of senior footy (Rampe is an obvious exception, but at least he had a few years senior footy behind him as well). AJ is class and as said earlier, will be an heir apparent to Teddy or Reg given time to bulk up.

Anyone that could possibly suggest we shouldn't be doing everything possible to sign up Nick Smith must have rocks in their head! The guy is class, end of story.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

agree
    agree
    agree !!!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Never been against keeping AJ - just that we can get him on the cheap. Now he's even more broken.

Delist and rookie list?

It's not Show Friends, it's Show Business.
    -

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast