Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaping Leo is still kicking goals...or flying high...or grabbing the headlines

Merchant Bankers are not called Merchant Wankers for nothing and Stockbrokers are called 'Dollar High rollers' which means they make millions one minute and lose it again the next. The stockmarket is the most accepted form of gambling in our society.

On the Rookie List
    The problem is that people just pass through educational structures which are designed to make people think a certain way, get a piece of paper, and hey presto, they're an expert and must be right about everything because they are repeating was was told to them. Stockbrokers, doctors, lawyers - their opinions and thoughts are moulded for them during their studies, and then they are bought afterwards. We have to stop assuming that people in these professions are automatically the smartest and most knowledgeable people in society, because that is simply not true. We should recognise that it is the people who think for themselves and question these trillion-dollar structures that are to be lauded.

Whenever the people at the SCG try to give me those cardboard goal clappers to win $1000, I just say (to my friends only - 'cos don't want to be rude to the person) that Rockefeller can go shove his blood money up his ugly @@@. Then I head straight to the bar.

Aside from that, I love going to the SCG to see the Swans. I always have the best time.

Goes up to 11
    Oooh awesome - instead of celebrating a former Swan legend who is making something of his life after footy, lets do a bit of capitalist bashing! Yay....

Well done Leo for excelling in your second career. It's good to hear, instead of the old 'broken down ex-footballer rues how awful his life now is' storyline.....

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Oooh awesome - instead of celebrating a former Swan legend who is making something of his life after footy, lets do a bit of capitalist bashing! Yay....

Well done Leo for excelling in your second career. It's good to hear, instead of the old 'broken down ex-footballer rues how awful his life now is' storyline.....
    I'm not 'capitalist-bashing', couldn't care less what labels people want to use. I just understand how these things really work and find it highly ironic how much it contradicts the Bloods culture.

So, I guess you get your cancer treated by the homeopath. Stockbrokers didn't need to go to Uni a few years ago. I suspect they still don't. Playing Rugby for Australia or going to a GPS school were more important quals. Unfair to lump doctors in with stockbrokers. A good Uni education is supposed to teach you how to think, not what to think.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    I'm not 'capitalist-bashing', couldn't care less what labels people want to use. I just understand how these things really work and find it highly ironic how much it contradicts the Bloods culture.
    Aiming high, working hard and succeeding contradict the Bloods culture?

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Bloodthirsty = Nassim Taleb?

I don't think he's necessarily knocking Leo, who I have no doubt has put in the hard work and deserves the accolade. It's more an observation on the funds management / investment banking industry in general, and those who profit from playing with other people's money, as they get the upside but no downside. That said, not all stockbrokers are bad (my grandfather was one himself).

But now we are getting off topic. Leo Barry You Star, again!!

To be honest it is very, very rare for a sportsman of any ilk to veer to the left.....PGA tour said that 99.1% of the golfers voted Republican. Sportsmen = don't think deeply = vote Conservative. Artists the exact opposite :-)
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Leo is so leftsided. Not many people know his real name was Barikov.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Aiming high, working hard and succeeding contradict the Bloods culture?
    Stockbrokers and Merchant Bankers are the scum of the Earth...people like Mitt Romney and John Key who make half a Billion dollars for themselves whilst destroying companies and taking away people's jobs...they are the absolute antithesis of the "Bloods" Culture which prioritises team work and an equal share for an equal effort.

You are confusing "aiming high" with standing on the heads of others as you ruthlessly grasp whatever you can for yourself

You are confusing making money with "succeeding.

You are confusing being a Stockbroker with actually working for a living.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    So, I guess you get your cancer treated by the homeopath. Stockbrokers didn't need to go to Uni a few years ago. I suspect they still don't. Playing Rugby for Australia or going to a GPS school were more important quals. Unfair to lump doctors in with stockbrokers. A good Uni education is supposed to teach you how to think, not what to think.
    Cancer. Don't get me started on that. Happy to have informed private conversations with people who are happy to spend the time doing genuine research, who understand the sources of their information.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Stockbrokers and Merchant Bankers are the scum of the Earth...people like Mitt Romney and John Key who make half a Billion dollars for themselves whilst destroying companies and taking away people's jobs...they are the absolute antithesis of the "Bloods" Culture which prioritises team work and an equal share for an equal effort.

You are confusing "aiming high" with standing on the heads of others as you ruthlessly grasp whatever you can for yourself

+1.

It really is the antithesis of the Bloods culture - looking out for your fellow man; rewarding good and positive things; playing a role that had inherent value and contributes to the whole.

I love the Swans but when people start thinking that everything footballers do is heroic, that's when things become a bit sad. Footballers are nothing more than entertainment figures. I do really like professional organisational structures in football, especially the Swans. A lot can be learned from this - I find this aspect fascinating and useful. Who footballers are as men though is no diffferent to the rest of society.

Someone said something about uni teaching you how to think - I personally think that is completely wrong. You don't place retired ex-Federal Reserve powerbrokers as Ivy League Deans and expect free thinking graduates.

BTW, not having a go at Leo Barry at all. Just general observations about the irony. That's all my comments were really relating to, this being a Swans forum. If I'm rubbing some people the wrong way I'll just cease adding to this thread.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post

I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge of stockbrokers and merchant bankers - I don't have enough money to use their services and am not employed in the "business sector". Doesn't mean that I resent people who do have money, however. You seem to have an axe to grind - perhaps other forums are more appropriate for you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast