Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans v Umpires

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by sidswan View Post
    Conspiracy theories?.........I'm hearing from my pals in Geelong, that their players are being unfairly pinged because the AFL dosen't want them to win another flag for a while.
    There is no doubt in my mind that the AFL would love to see Hawthorn lift the premiership cup this year. Interstate teams winning it should be regarded as a 'sometimes' thing, but the old Victorian attitude creeps in eventually.

I am convinced the umpires are fair, skilled and do their best on the field. However, I have had it up to here with all the tinkering being done with the rules. It is the players on the field who are the custodians of the game, not the umpire's or their boss, or the AFL organisation for that matter.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Interesting that it coincides with Razor being injured for most of the last 2 years
    The coincidence had occurred to me too...

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I just think it illustrates the way the Swans play the game -the antithesis of 'bruise free football'.

I also think we, on the whole, lack players who duck their heads or use other illegitimate methods to draw high contact frees. We have many who attack the ball head first and win their share that way - Jude, for instance - but no Selwoods or Thomases or the like. Benny McGlynn comes the closest, aided by the fact he's short, but even most of his are where he is genuinely going for the ball and cops unfair high contact from an opponent.

Goodes is probably the worst (or best) we currently have for trying to draw attention to frees he thinks he deserves, but he doesn't go out of his way to create high contact, and most of those he appeals for are just about there.
    And isn't there a heap of whinging by players for frees after the umpire has made a decision. A waste of breath. Jack Riewolt never stops but we don't do it that much. As you said Liz, Goodes is our culprit and surely umpires know the serial offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Slight factual error there. The free against Leo Barry was the worst decision of all time, not just 2005. Cost us the game and meant we had to win three tough games instead of two to get the flag. A lesser team would not have gone on to to win the Premiership.
    I agree with you here. Shocker that still rankles. One good thing came out of it though. That ump was dropped from contention for the Granny. Didn't get another gig in the finals either. Small minded of me of course, but that was sweet to know.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player
    And then they let a few infringements go in the Barry mark pack. So it's all swings and roundabouts.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by alt_mattr View Post
    I am convinced the umpires are fair, skilled and do their best on the field. However, I have had it up to here with all the tinkering being done with the rules. It is the players on the field who are the custodians of the game, not the umpires or their boss, or the AFL organisation for that matter.
    I agree with every word of this, especially the bit in bold. And I wonder how keen the umpires are on all the changes; in a lot of cases, not very, I would think.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Where and how

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    And then they let a few infringements go in the Barry mark pack. So it's all swings and roundabouts.
    Can someone tell me what this guy is talking about???I watched the video about ten times and all I seen was a lot of pushing and shoving that could have gone either way. The basis of this thread is the obvious absolute howlers of decisions are always against the Swans and never in favour of the Swans. According to averages it should just about even it's self out over a ten year period, but this is not the case. If we are talking about minor infringments that go unnoticed then I can show you videos of Kieran Jack being tackled head high at least three time in last year's GF and no free kicks were given, yet they say there is nothing wrong with giving one side 26 frees and the other 10 frees on GF day. I can assure you if this happened to a Collingwood, Essendon or a Hawthorn, it would be all over the Victorian papers.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Can someone tell me what this guy is talking about???I watched the video about ten times and all I seen was a lot of pushing and shoving that could have gone either way.
    Don't get me wrong, you let that go in that situation and time of a GF. Correct decision was made for the circumstances.

But you have to take your blinkers off if you are in a thread complaining about umpiring. There was some contact both ways. It was a brutal pack.

But there was some blatant 1 sided infringements on our part.

see TK:
    447415-leo-barry.jpg

LRT took his eyes off the ball and crunched the pack/Judd:
    gf_win3_gallery__261x400.jpg
    1.52min mark:

As for the rest of your post I agree

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    What about the decision against Hawthorn in our game with the Rampe "rushed behind"?

That was attrocious. Probably not quite as bad as the Mal rushed behind, but horrible nonetheless.

We dont have a mortgage on crap umpiring.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Don't get me wrong, you let that go in that situation and time of a GF. Correct decision was made for the circumstances.

But you have to take your blinkers off if you are in a thread complaining about umpiring. There was some contact both ways. It was a brutal pack.

But there was some blatant 1 sided infringements on our part.

see TK:
    447415-leo-barry.jpg

LRT took his eyes off the ball and crunched the pack/Judd:
    gf_win3_gallery__261x400.jpg
    1.52min mark:

As for the rest of your post I agree
    Haven't watched that for a while but seeing as we are talking umpiring decisions, Massive ITB by Cox for the mark that sent the ball inbound to Leo Barry. Last angle right at the end shows that, yes, LRT could well have been pinged.

Senior Player
    Yeah the cox one was a howler, regardless of the situation I believe that free 1 vs 1 coming from behind should have been against cox. The pack of 7 following you let go. (I do think Sampi has a right to feel mugged he was front and center and held down by his jumper).

Again it's all swings and roundabouts, yes we may be on the negative side all the time on avg. But if you are good enough for long enough it doesn't cost you games unless it's in the dying seconds (Friday arvo blank, but none are coming to mind in recent history).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast