Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: team lineup V Doggies

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    I understand that for this game, which is little more than a practice match, but as part of a premiership-seeking outfit, where would you play Shaw if one of McGlynn, Morton, Rohan and Jetta came back as forwards?
    I hope the team isn't thinking like this - Doggies have improved a bit the last few weeks and are playing some half-decent footy. Yes we are miles better than them but this week is not the week for complacency....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    He's also had the odd game as a run with player over the years, although struggling with match fitness would see that as a tough ask at the minute. It could quite feasibly be an option going forward, particularly if the current Mal McVeigh show keeps rating thru the roof...
    Yes, definitely not fit enough for a run with role, and probably not needed in the D50, unless things go awry.

I understand that for this game, which is little more than a practice match, but as part of a premiership-seeking outfit, where would you play Shaw if one of McGlynn, Morton, Rohan and Jetta came back as forwards?
    This game last year the dogs gave us a bit of a hiding in the 1st qtr, before we got on top and won easily.
    They are a much better unit than last year and will have some confidence after last weeks game against the eagles.

If one of the above are ready to come back in then Shaw could be used off the bench in rotation until he is fit enough to fulfill he's usual role down back.
    I was only thinking of this game as it is the one the thread is about.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Dear me. I hoped that the Port experience might cure us of this sort of thinking.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Horse and his Merry men would certainly Not be taking this approach, gotta pay respect to every outfit at this level.
    HP

WT? - after the NM/Geel match, TAB odds WB $1.85 : Syd $1.95??? 3rd v 15th ... HUH??

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    WT? - after the NM/Geel match, TAB odds WB $1.85 : Syd $1.95??? 3rd v 15th ... HUH??
    That would be the odds at the line, (or with the points start factored in for the non punters). There has been a fair bit of interest in the doggies 'at the line' with the start at around 44.5 points and the opening quote of 1.90 each of two has been adjusted to reflect that weight of money.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

We selected Rhyce, which I think at this stage is a mistake due to his lack of match fitness. Butr now he is there he would either play sub or play the first half and a bit and be subbed. I can't see him playing a full AFL match if he was blowing after 80mins of NEAFL.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    We selected Rhyce, which I think at this stage is a mistake due to his lack of match fitness. Butr now he is there he would either play sub or play the first half and a bit and be subbed. I can't see him playing a full AFL match if he was blowing after 80mins of NEAFL.
    Would you have preferred he be brought in against The Pies next week? We hopefully will have so many players returning from injury over the next few weeks that I would have thought this the perfect game to try him out.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Dear me. I hoped that the Port experience might cure us of this sort of thinking.
    My thinking is irrelevant to how the Swans perform. Just saying that a super-elite club should be able to roll a struggling club and the focus should be on getting 4 points and avoiding further injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Would you have preferred he be brought in against The Pies next week? We hopefully will have so many players returning from injury over the next few weeks that I would have thought this the perfect game to try him out.
    Week after against the Saints would have been better Jewels. What ever happened to the consensus here a few weeks ago that players should earn their spot because of our depth. I do not give a @@@@ for his previous reputation or his heroics in the GF. Now is the hour of reckoning not last year or previous years. If a player is match fit, playing well for at least 90mins in the Twos, not spent, then sure bring him in. But my problem with him coming in is he only played 80mins and was blowing or spent before the end of the Twos match. this match like all Twos matches is played at a lower tempo than AFL. This shows a definite lack of match fitness and I don't believe with our depth we need to play non match fit players no matter their previous reputation nor their seniority.

The Upshot: I would have waited until the Saints game. By the way Jetts, LRT & Goodsie are only now on the treadmill. Sammy is running outside so he will probably return to training in the next couple of weeks. But I can't see the others being ready until just before the finals.

Week after against the Saints would have been better Jewels..

The Upshot: I would have waited until the Saints game. By the way Jetts, LRT & Goodsie are only now on the treadmill. Sammy is running outside so he will probably return to training in the next couple of weeks. But I can't see the others being ready until just before the finals.
    I think the backlog of recovering players is a reason to bring Shaw in sooner rather than later, so it is only one or two changes a game, Shaw, then Rohan, then Sammy etc.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

I understand what you are saying but my point is that better to introduce Shaw against the Dogs and perhaps Rohan against the Saints then either bringing in two players lacking match fitness in the one game or bringing them in for the higher pressure games.
    On your other point re earning their spots, I agree the likes of Rampe and Mitchell should certainly hold their places but I have no problem with the likes of Cunningham and B Jack being replaced with more experienced campaigners at this time of the season.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast