Thread: Todays Swans team... V... 2012 GF Swans team.

Regular in the Side PerthSwannie's Avatar

Todays Swans team... V... 2012 GF Swans team.

Thought I`d have a footy night last night. Rolled a smoke or two and a few beers and layed down on the lounge and watched 2 games. The first was last Sundays Richmond game and then the GF from last year. MAN, I tell ya. the team as we speak are awesome. It was really strange watching the GF with the players like Shaw, Mattner, AJ, Jetta, Reid, Goodes, LRT, Morton not in the team now and the new young guns, Rampe, White, Lamb, Tippett, Jack 2, Mitchell, ripping it. I was shaking my head with excitement on our future.

Question?? How would last weeks Swannies team go against Hawthorn if they were plonked into last years GF?
    Even Santa follows the Swannies.

Warming the Bench
    I'd say under the pressure of the biggest stage in the year the current team would drop a few %. Just enough for the GF team to win by 10 points. Ohh wait that was Hawthorn....

Blog Entries
    I reckon Mitchell and Rampe may be OK, but the others may not cope with the pressure of the big game.
    That whole new group you have mentioned v the older group lose a LOT of experience.

Senior Player
    Yeah there'd be a big enough drop off not to be able to withstand Hawks dominance for long enough to change the momentum.

Regardless, you don't get to a GF with out some finals experience being acquired first. If we make it they will have played Geelong and Hawthorn in two late season 8 point games. And played at least 2 high pressure all or nothing finals. Character will be revealed and tested!

I think they would of struggled to be honest. The experience we are still missing is very important when it comes to those big games. But, we are so good at moulding players into our team seamlessly that who knows? I sure can wait to see how we go in September, I've got the same good feeling I had about last year to be honest
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Maybe , just maybe , the current 22 are also our best 22. I look forward to the day the selectors are forced to work out our best team , without injuries as a deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    Maybe , just maybe , the current 22 are also our best 22. I look forward to the day the selectors are forced to work out our best team , without injuries as a deciding factor.
    On current fitness, yes. But no way in the world is the current 22 our best 22 if everyone is fit. For starters Goodes would still get a Guernsey. Be hard to leave out McGlynn. Be very hard to leave out Jetta or Rohan. Be very hard to leave out AJ. You get the picture of what I'm getting at Im sure.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I reckon Mitchell and Rampe may be OK, but the others may not cope with the pressure of the big game.
    That whole new group you have mentioned v the older group lose a LOT of experience.
    It was interesting that the two players that I think really turned the GF from a defence to attack point of view were relative newcomers in Smith and AJ. I also want to point out that Jetts, Parker (when he came on) Sammy etc were all very good. Yes the experience made a difference but the Hawks side is less experienced this year too. Durea, Simpkin (even though on Cats list played very few AFL games, Hill & Ceglar are all novices.

Mattner will not be back at all. Morton will probably not get picked now he has announced his retirement. AJ won't be back until next season. We also have to constantly ask the question: Who IS in our BEST 22? Unlike previous years when this was quite clear cut to within 2-3 players, this year we have unwrapped a great deal of talent. Talent like who like Luke Parker have all played in finals or GF's at junior level or played representative footy at Junior level. Representative footy does step up a level as you are playing against the best from each state. I don't believe our best 22 is at all clear cut. There could be any number of combinations to make up our best 22 and this would also depend on the opponent on the day.

We tend to draft players who have experienced success at junior level. This is not an accident as players who have experienced success often crave more of that success and the adulation that comes with it.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 3rd August 2013 at 02:36 PM.

Something to consider: some say the second premiership is harder to get because the players don't have the same hunger. Would this new crop bring that hunger with them? At worst, they're driving high standards with the pressure they're putting on for spots in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    It was interesting that the two players that I think really turned the GF from a defence to attack point of view were relative newcomers in Smith and AJ. I also want to point out that Jetts, Parker (when he came on) Sammy etc were all very good. Yes the experience made a difference but the Hawks side is less experienced this year too. Durea, Simpkin (even though on Cats list played very few AFL games, Hill & Ceglar are all novices.

Mattner will not be back at all. Morton will probably not get picked now he has announced his retirement. AJ won't be back until next season. We also have to constantly ask the question: Who IS in our BEST 22? Unlike previous years when this was quite clear cut to within 2-3 players, this year we have unwrapped a great deal of talent. Talent like who like Luke Parker have all played in finals or GF's at junior level or played representative footy at Junior level. Representative footy does step up a level as you are playing against the best from each state. I don't believe our best 22 is at all clear cut. There could be any number of combinations to make up our best 22 and this would also depend on the opponent on the day.

We tend to draft players who have experienced success at junior level. This is not an accident as players who have experienced success often crave more of that success and the adulation that comes with it.
    I'd hardly argue that we 'unearthed' Parker this season. We've all known how good he will be, just injury has slowed him down before this year. I'd also hardly call nick Smith a newcomer, been playing since 08 and also in the leadership group.

I still think our best 22 with everyone fit (i.e. assuming those that will get back in 2013 get back) doesn't go far off choosing itself. But when you have lots of injuries, it makes decisions much harder, especially when those coming in have done exceptionally well.

The old bottom 6 rule would see the GF team holding it over the current team.

Parker was sub and 22nd player in the GF. He isn't near it in the current team. There are players that despite their performance will go straight out when the injured return.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    The old bottom 6 rule would see the GF team holding it over the current team.

Parker was sub and 22nd player in the GF. He isn't near it in the current team. There are players that despite their performance will go straight out when the injured return.
    I've been thinking about the stand-in players v the injured players a lot, and this thread has helped me make my mind up a little bit more. The highly experienced, cool heads would be an important injection into the side, so it's probably good that at least Shaw is on his way back. There are a couple of guys who I believe we'll do fine without due to their replacements (LRT & Reid), but I gotta say, based on experience (and one high-draft x-factor), Shaw, Goodes, McGlynn, Jetta and Rohan would bring this experience and proven class. This doesn't change the fitness or form argument, but I definitely think that to make it all the way to the GF and then win it this year, we need to bring back experience for experience's sake.