Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Morton calls time on AFL career

Maybe he's 'done a Bjorn Borg'

Done all he wants so time to move on...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Good luck Mitch, and thanks for the memories!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Well there is a surprise we didn't see coming.
    Without trying to psychoanalyse Mitch, I suspect that he is both an intelligent and insecure man, who feels the need even at the age of 26 to focus his long term future referrable to a formal education. I also felt that he was anxious about participating in senior AFL.

Good luck Mitch. I hope you succeed in your life's pursuits. You will always be a Premiership player.

Happy and I know it
    That's fabulous that he has a plan for his life and the skills and education to implement it. More power to him.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Well this opens up a bit more in the salary cap to re sign Mummy.
    I wonder if this has something to do with Jesse's new found ability?
    I don't think Jesse would have figured in the clubs plans post Tippetts arrival and Jesse's form has caused some re-thinking and perhaps poor old Mitch has been told that he will not be required next season and he has decided to pull the plug rather then face delisting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I wonder if this has something to do with Jesse's new found ability?
    I don't think Jesse would have figured in the clubs plans post Tippetts arrival and Jesse's form has caused some re-thinking and perhaps poor old Mitch has been told that he will not be required next season and he has decided to pull the plug rather then face delisting.
    Or maybe he realises the clubs in a pickle and he's doing it out of the kindness of his heart? Who knows! Nice going Mitch! Good luck! Hope we get to see you out there again before you're gone!

I suspect it's a combination of him seeing the writing on the wall, with our forward line dominated by talls and midfielders, and losing a bit of desire. Goodes, Jetta, McGlynn,LRT and Reid out and he still can't get a game.

Anyway, I'll be replaying the Grand Final second quarter for years to come. I think when Morton kicked his second goal my head hit the delirium zone, so thanks for the memories Mitch.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

The Swans are full of good blokes aren't they? Mitch is no exception. Here is a guy with a good head on his shoulders. Buckets of talent, but shelved personal ambitions for team ethos.

Will be missed.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    A big surprise, but not a surprise, if you know what I mean.

The vast improvement of the next breed has made it hard for Mitch to get back into the team, and it's only going to get harder.

Will we see him again? I don't know, but he will always be in the history books as a Premiership Legend of the greatest club of all, and nobody can ever take that away from him.

Congratulations Mitch, enjoy knowing just how much of a difference you made and just how much you mean to the Red And White Family.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

It makes me wonder (although not important) if Mitch did his quad a few weeks back when he was a real late withdrawal or was it his anxiety? I can't imagine going through that before each game.

All the best Mitch. Premiership legend and always a decent bloke to chat to at the functions. Can't knock a GF Winner!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Without trying to psychoanalyse Mitch, I suspect that he is both an intelligent and insecure man, who feels the need even at the age of 26 to focus his long term future referrable to a formal education. I also felt that he was anxious about participating in senior AFL.

Good luck Mitch. I hope you succeed in your life's pursuits. You will always be a Premiership player.
    I would say he is the opposite to insecure. From his decision he appears as someone who has the courage to move on regardless of the rewards of AFL. He has broken out from who he has been to go onto create a new life for himself.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I would say he is the opposite to insecure. From his decision he appears as someone who has the courage to move on regardless of the rewards of AFL. He has broken out from who he has been to go onto create a new life for himself.
    When I heard the news today I thought of WCE's Tom Swift, who retired at a young age last year so he could go and study medicine. I know, shock horror, some people see a life and a future outside of AFL.... Someone like Mitch probably just doesn't want to continue with the struggle of making the grade, and he most likely already has some pretty strong ideas of where his next career will take him. Good on him.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast