Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Morton calls time on AFL career

Will always have a little slice of history to call his own. Can't ask for much more.

Thank you Mitch.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    When I heard the news today I thought of WCE's Tom Swift, who retired at a young age last year so he could go and study medicine.
    With all due respect to both you & Mitch, Med is somewhat different to Mitch's chosen post-retirement career. Very limited opportunities to be accepted into the medical course, limited ability to defer it once accrpted, very rigorous time commitment to study it once commenced & potential debilitating injuries sustained playing footy can severely hinder career path opportunities. Also the remuneration after graduating med will be likely more akin to his footballers wage ... but for his working lifetime which will be significantly longer than his playing lifetime. Sure, some people have combined footy & Med ... but sometimes one has to be chosen above the other for a greater chance of success.

Reminds me more of Nathan Ablett. Won a premiership, achieved the ultimate goal (something Skilts would've given his 3 Brownlows for) & perhaps lost the desire to keep going at that level with all the emotional cost (or for Ablett the intrusive scrutiny). & he/they now have other challenges that are higher priorities ... but like so many other retired footballers, really love the game so want to remain involved.

Best of luck Mitch. Who knows ... many players including Ablett) have left the game, only to return ... regardless, you will always be a Blood with a premiership medal ... & there aren't too many who can claim that distinction.
    Last edited by 0918330512; 3rd August 2013 at 08:11 AM.

On the Rookie List
    Perhaps, Scotty, we should offer him some sort of honorary membership to RWO? He could be our number one ticket holder and his posts could make for some interesting reading too. We could even run a competition to choose his call sign? How about "Mighty Mitch"?

Great story. Not a gun, will long be remembered for the 2012 gf. Will have watched him get that ball out to Kieran Jack 50 times

Just like how he played on the big occasions...and how he is perceived by footy fans...

He's surprised us all, done it his way.

Seems ,from the outside, like a strong minded pragmatic decision...

His Swans career was brief, sporadic, spectacular ..... and a premiership to boot...Well played Mitch! And best of luck.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Best of luck Mitch. You will never be forgotten for your part in our Premiership in 2012 - and I do hope he tells his grandkids over and over one day about the moment leading up to Jack's goal. Probably the most important moment in his footy career and he did it so well!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

On the Rookie List
    He came into the team around finals time last year, and was an x-factor that had a lot to do with us winning the Premiership. It is ridiculous that 1/3 of our team can be injured and he still doesn't get a game. There is no way anyone can say that players are treated equally in terms of work/performance - reward. We've carried notable passengers in recent times when they weren't performing. But there was zero-tolerance for Mitch (like Jesse had), even if the ball was being bombed mindlessly to the forward lines for these 'poor' games of his.

I try not to get too caught up in the lives of people I don't know, but I am really saddened that his career has ended, for whatever reason. He's a natural, instinctive forward who worked on his game - and to see him play in recent times, he looked like a man on a mission. I was looking forward to him cementing a spot, but unfortunately not to be.

I wonder if he'd be considered a deserter if he hadn't been a part of a premiership team?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Thanks Mitch. You will always be remembered as our Ted Hopkins
    You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The Age story is done sympathetically and highlights the anxiety as a possible factor:

Swans' Morton stepping down
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Opti-pessi-misti
    I too feel sad that Mitch wasn't given the opportunity to cement a place in the side this year, we really don't know how good he could have been with a secure spot. However last year he came in when Benny was out but with Benny back in and playing well, and with the rotation of the 'excess' mids through the forward line plus giving games to the youngies there has not been a spot for him but it is a bit strange that he couldn't get a game after his great contribution in the finals and on the Big Day. However, looking in from the outside we don't see the whole picture, all the factors leading to the decisions made.

As has been said he will always have a special place as one of the heroes of the Swans' Grand Final victory and I too wish him well for the future.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Great story. Not a gun, will long be remembered for the 2012 gf. Will have watched him get that ball out to Kieran Jack 50 times
    Yep agree wholeheartedly, I have no hesitation in saying we would not of won the GF without him, those couple of goals plus the Jack assist were massively crucial. Onya Mitch all the best for the future.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast