Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Morton calls time on AFL career

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    When I heard the news today I thought of WCE's Tom Swift, who retired at a young age last year so he could go and study medicine. I know, shock horror, some people see a life and a future outside of AFL.... Someone like Mitch probably just doesn't want to continue with the struggle of making the grade, and he most likely already has some pretty strong ideas of where his next career will take him. Good on him.
    I was close to posting almost exactly the same thoughts jono. He is a young man who has taken stock, and decided he has done the best he could, given his unusual 'handicap', and called time on the footy side of his life so that he can get on with the next phase. In his statement he is obviously happy with his decision, and happy to stay around and be involved on another level while he gets on with things, without the inevitable footy stress issues he has. Smart man. Many could learn from him.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Pushing for Selection poundpuppy's Avatar
    I was so looking forward to watching Mitch thrive as a regular senior player this year and it was disappointing to see him overlooked so often. I wonder if he was told his contract would not be renewed next year and he didn't want to start afresh with a new club when he now thought of himself as a Swan for life. I will never forget Mitch's contribution to our premiership victory and wish him all the best for the future ....
    Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
    And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!

www.paws.com.au

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Of all the players who take to the field in our great game, few indeed get to play in a grand final and of those only half will experience the joy of victory. Mitch Morton will always be able to say that, not only did he play on the biggest stage of all, but that, when his unexpected moment came, he was one of that rarest breed - the ones who stand taller than anyone thought possible and turned the tide of the game. There are others one could say this of too, but it is no exaggeration to say that without Mitch Morton there would be no 2012 Premiership. His role was crucial. As far as I am concerned, he lives in the Pantheon. Thank you Mitch. The two goals were great but the two-on-one was greater still. I am saddened by your leaving but will be forever happy that you joined our club. I hope you enjoy many reunion dinners with your 2012 teammates and that the future is kind to you.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Of all the players who take to the field in our great game, few indeed get to play in a grand final and of those only half will experience the joy of victory. Mitch Morton will always be able to say that, not only did he play on the biggest stage of all, but that, when his unexpected moment came, he was one of that rarest breed - the ones who stand taller than anyone thought possible and turned the tide of the game. There are others one could say this of too, but it is no exaggeration to say that without Mitch Morton there would be no 2012 Premiership. His role was crucial. As far as I am concerned, he lives in the Pantheon. Thank you Mitch. The two goals were great but the two-on-one was greater still. I am saddened by your leaving but will be forever happy that you joined our club. I hope you enjoy many reunion dinners with your 2012 teammates and that the future is kind to you.
    Beautifully put. Wouldn't change a word.

That's what I meant to say

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Beautifully put. Wouldn't change a word. +1

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Worthy of an old-fashioned "illuminated address".
    Last edited by dimelb; 4th August 2013 at 10:30 AM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Exactly so. Just what I was trying to say.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Yep, totally agree with this statement. Well, done, Mitch and all the best in the future!

6 goals yesterday against a quality opposition....Come on Horse....

Would love to see him given a run against the Wobbles.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Lamb or bj would be the ones in trouble if morton returns.

Probably better to give bj a full game in the 2's. But lamb should be worried

Really hoping Longmire brings him in against either the Pies or Saints so we get a chance to give him a last cheer at home.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345