Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 20: Brisbane Lions Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves

ugg, I was under the impression that all finals are played in Canberra. Has there been a change for this year and home finals are on the table, or am I mistaken?
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I just realised that there is only 2 weeks left for ressies normal season. This will restrict some of the injured players getting a run before the finals except they have Cats and hawks as warm up matches!!!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    ugg, I was under the impression that all finals are played in Canberra. Has there been a change for this year and home finals are on the table, or am I mistaken?
    We had a home final last year where we smashed Ainslie (albeit at our second 'home' Blacktown).

Reserves Qualifying Final 2012 - RWOwiki

I think the change occurred when the AFL Canberra was subsumed by the new NEAFL as part of the incentives for the new non-reserves Sydney based teams came into the comp. The Eastern conf. GF is the only game that is guaranteed for Canberra, although now that I think about it I'm sure I read somewhere earlier in the year that this is no longer going to be true either.

Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    I just realised that there is only 2 weeks left for ressies normal season. This will restrict some of the injured players getting a run before the finals except they have Cats and hawks as warm up matches!!!
    This is going to be a huge problem for Goodes, Jetta and Reid as they will not have played enough games in the regular season to qualify for the reserves post season. Even Gary Rohan may be touch and go as I'm not sure of the numerical requirements. Everitt missed out on last year's finals series for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    This is going to be a huge problem for Goodes, Jetta and Reid as they will not have played enough games in the regular season to qualify for the reserves post season. Even Gary Rohan may be touch and go as I'm not sure of the numerical requirements. Everitt missed out on last year's finals series for this reason.
    Pretty poor rule. By all means put a restriction on if the seniors have a week off, but if the seniors are playing the same weekend then all players should be available for selection.

The Swans have shown previously they wouldn't abuse the rule because they won't compromise whats best for the seniors under any circumstances. So much so they have gone into reserves GF's with 2 or 3 eligible players sitting in the stands in case they are needed for seniors finals.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

You may be right, I'm trying to find the NEAFL document that explains this in detail.

Okay I found this document, but it's from 2012.

http://neafl.com.au/fileadmin/user_u..._NEAFL2012.pdf

16.3.3 FINALS ELIGIBILITY
    (a) Subject to Rule 15.5.5 (c) and (d) above, a Sydney Swans listed player must have played a minimum of three (3) Competition home and away Matches to qualify to play in the Competition finals series.
    (b) In the event a Sydney Swans listed player has played five (5) matches or more in the AFL, he must have played at least nine (9) Competition home and away Matches to qualify to play in the Competition finals series.

and Rule 15.5.5 is
    (c) Notwithstanding anything within these Rules, Under 18 AFL Club Academy players need not to have first played a Competition home and away Match with a Club to qualify to play for that club in a Competition final Match, unless otherwise approved by the AFL.
    (d) Notwithstanding anything with these Rules, should an AFL Club listed player not be selected to play for his AFL Club in an AFL finals series match, that player will be eligible to play in the Competition finals series Match with the AFL Club Reserves team that same weekend, irrespective of whether or not he has played in a Competition Match that season,

so it's not as strict as I first thought but if the Swans win the Qualifying Final and have the week off, those 3 possible returnees won't be eligible to play if the Swans Reserves are playing that weekend (which would be the NEAFL prelim I think)

Report on the game now on the club site - here
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Veteran Site Admin
    The rule in most 'reserves' comps (or comps in which some teams are reserves teams) is that anyone can play for as long as the senior team is still in its competition. Once the senior team is out, only true reserves players can continue to play in the reserves team.

The objective is clear - to stop teams artifically inflating the ability of their reserves level team by stacking it with players used to playing at a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The rule in most 'reserves' comps (or comps in which some teams are reserves teams) is that anyone can play for as long as the senior team is still in its competition. Once the senior team is out, only true reserves players can continue to play in the reserves team.
    And that is what 15.5.5(d) effectively says, so no problem.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

But if the seniors are knocked out, there's really no point playing senior players (returning from injury or otherwise) in the reserves any more. Anyway, the other point to consider is we are limited to 12 listed players in the whole squad which meant last year players such as McNeil and Lynch who had played all or most of the games were unluckily left out of finals game(s).

This is a really important matter, since several key players are scheduled to return around the end of the H&A season and will need a week or 2 to get some game time into them.
    Despite playing a bit in the reserves, I thought Shaw looked very rusty in the seniors. He didn't take the ball cleanly on several occasions and had a couple of miskicks. It's very questionable how well Goodes, Jetta and Reid will play without at least a game or 2 in the reserves. They all have missed so many games.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast