Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games that you'll always remember but others probably forget

Games that you'll always remember but others probably forget

Just wondering what some memorable games are for other swans supporters rather than the more famous ones (Ie. Grand Final 2012, 2005 Preliminary Final 2012, 2005, Semi-Final 2005). Just realized despite the terrific season we had in 2005, I can't seem to recall any regular season games in that season besides the eagles at Subiaco, probably due to the fact I was so blown away by the Finals games.

For me:

1995 Round 5 v Adelaide - The first victory we had against Adelaide I can recall. The biggest winning margin I had seen the swans win by. At the time, the swans were regularly thrashed, so it was a big deal to me.

1995 Round 22 v Collingwood - Always remember this game as it was Barrassi's last game as coach and we managed to keep the pies out of the finals and give their spot to Brisbane. The rendition of the club song after the game was also funny as hell.

1996 Round 11 v North Melbourne - Possibly overshadowed by the game against Carlton and Geelong a few weeks later. We absolutely annihilated Wayne Carey and North Melbourne. Roos's 300th. Carey had his shirt ripped apart. Tony Lockett handballed to Shannon Grant in the goalsquare and goaled. Shannon Grant returned the favour, handballing to Lockett alone in the square goaling -- was pretty funny at the time.

2000 Round 21 v Richmond - Pretty bad year for the swans. One season highlight for me. Attended the game. Won by a point.

Over to you.

1996 - Round 4 vs Richmond - Game we came of age
    1996 - Round 22 vs WCE - Finished on top of the ladder
    1997 - Round 15 vs Essendon - Kept our home ground streak intact
    1999 - Round 4 vs Kangaroos - Amazing comeback against Roos in very emotional game
    2001 - Round 19 vs Essendon - For about seven different reasons all combining at once, most painful home and away loss I have ever experienced.

15th June 1970. Lakeside oval. We came from 4 goals down in time on to beat Collingwood by a point.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    15th June 1970. Lakeside oval. We came from 4 goals down in time on to beat Collingwood by a point.
    Wiping tears from my eyes as I remember a South Melbourne classic! Stevie Hoffman kicked the winning goal if my memory serves me right!

Also, for me, beating Melbourne at the MCG in 1999. It was my first son's first game -one of the proudest days of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Also, for me, beating Melbourne at the MCG in 1999. It was my first son's first game -one of the proudest days of my life!
    Wow, that would be something else. I only had daughters, but just shooting a goal at club netball made me proud. Can't imagine how proud you and your spouse must have been...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

1987. Rounds 16-18. 30+ goals each week. The downside was that I was on student exchange in NZ at the time and had to watch them on replay when I got home later in August. I bought the Essendon game for my Dad on VHS a few years back. May have to get it for him on DVD now!

1994 Round 9 vs Melbourne. Swans kicked 7 goals in the final quarter to pull back a 23 point deficit. I think it was the first time I saw the Swans dominate a quarter of football like that. Derek Kickett had a good day and I loved watching that guy.

I dont know what round or even the year to be precise (it was either 97 or 98) saw the swans lose to the doggies at waverley park by less than a goal - but what makes me remember that day was that i saw adam goodes play ressies for the first time and i was shocked at how good he looked.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I dont know what round or even the year to be precise (it was either 97 or 98) saw the swans lose to the doggies at waverley park by less than a goal - but what makes me remember that day was that i saw adam goodes play ressies for the first time and i was shocked at how good he looked.
    Must have been 1998 because Goodsey was only drafted at the end of 1997. Played the entire 1998 season in the reserves, and I don't think he's been required for "the early match" ever since.

Senior Player
    Plenty ! Plugger breaking the record v Pies , for example .
    But apart from GFs , there's only one where I remember the exact score , sans internet checking:

R20 , 1999 : Swans 25.9 - 159 beat Crows 5.11 - 41.
    Round 20 1999 Sydney v Adelaide - FinalSiren.com

Plugger's last home game , I think - kicked eight in a vintage display. Fine game by Greg Stafford , too.

Others ?

*Beating North after the siren - Cressa's milked free kick .

*SMASHING North when they tried , surreptitiously , to be the 2nd team in NSW - and we all sang "There's only one team in Sydney!" Chants of "Carey's a wanker!" after he blew an easy set shot.

*Goodesy bagging EIGHT v Freo - and me , sadly , the only one in the Bay standing up and asking everyone , in stunned disbelief at the lack of reaction , "What the hell does that man have to do , to get you lot on your feet??"
    Round 19 2008 Sydney v Fremantle - FinalSiren.com

*Goodesy giving a young tagger , Brad Sewell , an absolute bath when we beat Hawthorn by 12 goals :
    Round 22 2007 Sydney v Hawthorn - FinalSiren.com
    Never thought the poor lad would recover , but of course , he did.

*Swans v Lions at ANZ - Tadhg's "pirouette" goal in a crushing win:
    Round 20 2005 Sydney v Brisbane Lions - FinalSiren.com
    Jason Akermanis was one of the Lions' best - never told Lethal about his injury and in a fine game for the losers , got 15 kicks - all on his non-preferred foot ! I loved Aker - legend !

*Luffy marking the ball (on the wing , not I50 , unfortunately !) in his (and Dale Lewis's) last game , right on the siren .
    There was thunder , there was lightning , Nicksy kicked 6 goal 7 behinds (!) and we won by 87.

On the tragic side - the game when we blew a 6-goal 3QT lead v North ...and many of us did not know why, until well after.

And even though we lost , who can forget Matthew Richardson taking 10 marks and booting 7 on a wet day ?
    Tall forwards are not supposed to do that !
    Round 7 2004 Sydney v Richmond - FinalSiren.com

Geez , BB - if you want to talk about all the memorable games , we should do it over a beer . We'd need somewhere with a 24-hr licence , mind you !

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    Jason Akermanis was one of the Lions' best - got 15 kicks - all on his non-preferred foot !
    He actually had a non-preferred foot?
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

On the Rookie List
    On the tragic side - the game when we blew a 6-goal 3QT lead v North ...and many of us did not know why, until well after.

What did we learn "well after"?

I was at our last game at Lakeside oval prior to the move.

I also remember going to a Tigers game @ Docklands with two Tiger fans and we won by 118 points...think that was 2004???? not too sure come to think of it,

I also watched us defeat the Dockers by 5 points @ Subi very late in the season in 09 or 10,

The win in last years QF against the Crows was sterling stuff. We earned a great deal of respect that day shut a few Crows fans up too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast