Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Swans Vs Bulldogs Game Day Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    On another point, can anyone enlighten me to the exact rules about deliberate out of bounds. There was an incident in the 1st quarter where Hanners (I think) was herding a Doggie inside the defensive 50. The pressure was unrelenting and eventually the player just handballed OOB. I would have thought that was a definite free to Hanners but it wasn't paid (although later in the game the opposite happened and Dogs did get a free).

Was this a bad decision or do I just not understand the rules
    Rates with the Malceski 'rushed' as the worst decision of the year. It was Griffen and there is just no way that was not deliberate. Of course, as you say, fast forward a quarter and they manage to ping Mitchell for a deliberate which was only half as obvious..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    By the way Reg was responsible for the Dogs first 3 goals. ...
    I note you had a few mates who agreed with your assessment in earlier posts, but I saw the first goal as 100% Teddy's fault and from the look on Reg's face, he would agree. Reg was acutely aware that Teddy was coming across in support and rightly made no attempt to spoil himself, all he had to do was engage Campbell(?) and keep him from attacking the ball and marking out in front, buying time to allow Teddy to make the easy spoil.

Unfortunately, Ted had an air swing...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Warming the Bench
    Took my nephew to his very 1st Swans game and it was a brilliant atmosphere. He would've have thought we were the home team!
    We were sitting behind the cheer squad. Special mention to Richard Colless who came and sat with us. Provided a highlight (not to a 7yo)

On the game i thought Rampe was brilliant to watch live. His reading of the play and field kicking was exceptional.
    People get to strung up on ladder positions too often. Bulldogs played brilliantly and deserved to be in the game to 3qtr time.
    Swans just need to keep getting the away wins.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Rates with the Malceski 'rushed' as the worst decision of the year. It was Griffen and there is just no way that was not deliberate. Of course, as you say, fast forward a quarter and they manage to ping Mitchell for a deliberate which was only half as obvious..
    The commentary on the Smith OOB was laughable too. He clearly tried to hit up a leading target along the boundary and shanked the kick off his right boot. The commentary was "I know he didnt mean to kick that out, but for me..thats deliberate"

WTF?
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    The commentary on the Smith OOB was laughable too. He clearly tried to hit up a leading target along the boundary and shanked the kick off his right boot. The commentary was "I know he didnt mean to kick that out, but for me..thats deliberate"

WTF?
    Agree totally. He 'didn't mean to do it', but that's 'deliberate'. Do they actually get paid to make such non-sensical comments???

Plenty of people, fans, umpires and commentators included, seem to overlook the very word 'deliberate' when assessing these things. How could Smooch's kick be construed as anything other than a poor kick? You can argue that being on your wrong side should make no difference, but whether he's a lefty, righty, both or neither, that was just a poorly executed kick and not a deliberate attempt to find the boundary.

I'm still dirty on Ted's deliberate in the GF last year. McVeigh was a few metres clear of his opponent and clearly in the best position to gather any ball kept in bounds, so it made no sense that Ted would 'deliberately' try and kick it out. I know others don't share my view tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Agree totally. He 'didn't mean to do it', but that's 'deliberate'. Do they actually get paid to make such non-sensical comments???

Plenty of people, fans, umpires and commentators included, seem to overlook the very word 'deliberate' when assessing these things. How could Smooch's kick be construed as anything other than a poor kick? You can argue that being on your wrong side should make no difference, but whether he's a lefty, righty, both or neither, that was just a poorly executed kick and not a deliberate attempt to find the boundary.

I'm still dirty on Ted's deliberate in the GF last year. McVeigh was a few metres clear of his opponent and clearly in the best position to gather any ball kept in bounds, so it made no sense that Ted would 'deliberately' try and kick it out. I know others don't share my view tho...
    Totally agree. Ted's 'deliberate' came to mind for me too yesterday. The Griffen handball was comically blatant - I can't imagine how any umpire could've missed it.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What I enjoyed most about the Smith miskick and the absurdity of the commentary team's response was that on the reverse angle you clearly see White is leading towards him and has made a few metres on his man. Ignoring it was just a dodgy kick on the run on his wrong side whilst under pressure, so reasonable to miskick, they were clearly suggesting that he had made the calculated decision to go for a boundary throw in (against a team with a dominant ruckman, no less) as opposed to an uncontested mark 15 metres further up the ground.

Maybe somebody pulled Dwayne's red, white and blue beanie over his eyes at the crucial moment. Have you ever heard such obvious barracking?? I realise the commentators like to talk up the underdog when they are having a dip, but it was getting to absurd levels yesterday.

Haven't heard such blatant barracking since the last time Roos did a Swans game...

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Totally agree. Ted's 'deliberate' came to mind for me too yesterday. The Griffen handball was comically blatant - I can't imagine how any umpire could've missed it.
    Make no mistake people - the umpires did all they could possibly do to help the Bulldogs. That's just what they do vs the Swans - ensure the opposition gets every chance to win the game. When the momentum is with Sydney, there's almost always a BS umpire free kick turnover just to help the opposition on it's way, along with turning a blind eye to many other infringements. Tippett gets infringed upon ALL THE TIME, and gets nothing. Also, throws are illegal for the Swans, but not so much for the opposition. I could go on forever.

I am not being biased - I honestly see it all the time. The AFL knows what makes good football stories, and right now that involves the Swans losing to whoever they're playing. There's an awareness of this, for sure.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    I guess that means Griffen gets the 3 votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    Make no mistake people - the umpires did all they could possibly do to help the Bulldogs. That's just what they do vs the Swans - ensure the opposition gets every chance to win the game. When the momentum is with Sydney, there's almost always a BS umpire free kick turnover just to help the opposition on it's way, along with turning a blind eye to many other infringements. Tippett gets infringed upon ALL THE TIME, and gets nothing. Also, throws are illegal for the Swans, but not so much for the opposition. I could go on forever.

I am not being biased - I honestly see it all the time. The AFL knows what makes good football stories, and right now that involves the Swans losing to whoever they're playing. There's an awareness of this, for sure.
    And there's another story that the AFL is doing everything it can to make the Swans winners in order to build the Sydney market. That's why they give the Sydney teams a COLA and just love when the Swans go deep into finals.

So which story is right?

Personally, I don't think the umps favour the opposition, but there may be a natural tendency to give a break to the weaker side, which is usually the side we are playing against.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    And there's another story that the AFL is doing everything it can to make the Swans winners in order to build the Sydney market. That's why they give the Sydney teams a COLA and just love when the Swans go deep into finals.

So which story is right?

Personally, I don't think the umps favour the opposition, but there may be a natural tendency to give a break to the weaker side, which is usually the side we are playing against.
    Well we agree that there is plausibly an unfair influence that can creep into the umpire's minds, whatever it may be. Whether it's sympathy for the underdog, crowd pressure or an awareness of what makes a good AFL story or simply the old Victorian attitude......it exists.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I like going through the Plays of the Day, and this particularly took my eye. If we can afford to leave this young bloke out of the green vest, we must have a frighteningly good playing group. Perhaps the cheekiest goal I have seen, pinching the ball from a Brownlow medallist and fine player and running away with it.

SwansTV: Brandon the super sub: Plays of the Day R19 - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast