Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2013 Finals team

Opti-pessi-misti
    Our defence is interesting. Macca, Mal and Rampe have been doing a great job, Teddy, Grundy and Smith have remained as the backbone and Everitt hasn't been too bad but I have the impression that it is not quite as dependable as last year. Teddy and Smithy have been solid all year but Teddy was outstanding last year. Maybe Mattner is the missing link and the role he played is being missed more than is realised and while Macca has been killing it in Shaw's place they have different strengths and weaknesses. Likewise Rampe's strengths are not the same as AJ's. I think it is the synergy thing, and time needed to gel together. Makes you realise how advantageous it was for us last year to have had a backline that had been working together for years, with the exception of AJ.

I don't think the suggestion of putting Sam Reid in the backline at this stage, if he makes it back, would work. It would have to be at the expense of Everitt and not Reg. Its one thing to throw LRT from the forward line to the back line and have him slot in but he is a player with loads of experience, especially with the backline defensive strategies. Maybe next year?

We've had a lot of changes in the backline this year. I think we move the ball out quite well, thanks to the efficiency of Mal, Macca, Smith (has stepped up to a new level this year IMO), Dre and Rampe (who I see as more a replacement for Mattner than AJ, and doing a better job already). Smith and Rampe are turning into offensive weapons as the season progresses.

But the Ted-Reg combo is just not working as well as last year. I've been (perhaps unfairly) blaming Reg for this, but maybe it's just how the whole backline gels, and they haven't worked out the new system yet.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    I don't know where all this doubt over the back 6 is coming from. They're arguably the best defence in the comp.

I'm glad not to be the one to have to make the team decisions come finals time. Although I'm of the opinion that an underdone or injured player will almost always get exposed in a final, proven finals class like Goodes, LRT and Jetta would be hard to resist. I'm also a massive Rohan fan and wouldn't complain if he's given his chance this year.

Senior Player
    I think the nice thing of having Sam available for finals (assuming LRT is cooked) is to be able to throw him back if Teddy or Reg are struggling on an opposition key forward which has happened on a few occassions this year. Jarrad Grant was playing VFL reserves a few weeks back and even he made us look bad on Sunday

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    ... Jarrad Grant was playing VFL reserves a few weeks back and even he made us look bad on Sunday
    Due in no small part to the Doggies midfield playing very good footy.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Let's assume for a minute that LRT is gone for the year (the implication) but Reid, Goodes, Jetta and Rohan come along on the timeline suggested yesterday. My take is this:

* Reid only gets a game if we decide we need an extra tall down back for say, the Hawks. Otherwise, we have the height we need down front.
    * Jetta is a month away and that means 12-14 weeks out. He needs to be fit to have value with his run. So I think he'll be scratched for the year.
    * If Rohan shows any semblance of fitness, he's the wildcard - and may be slipped back into the team for the Saints game for an extended run prior to the finals. If not, they may decide it's too late.
    * Goodes is the one they may gamble on at any stage. He usually is slow to regain his touch, but even throwing him up forward or a subs vest could be the option as he knows how to make a contribution in a limited role.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Let's assume for a minute that LRT is gone for the year (the implication) but Reid, Goodes, Jetta and Rohan come along on the timeline suggested yesterday. My take is this:

* Reid only gets a game if we decide we need an extra tall down back for say, the Hawks. Otherwise, we have the height we need down front.
    * Jetta is a month away and that means 12-14 weeks out. He needs to be fit to have value with his run. So I think he'll be scratched for the year.
    * If Rohan shows any semblance of fitness, he's the wildcard - and may be slipped back into the team for the Saints game for an extended run prior to the finals. If not, they may decide it's too late.
    * Goodes is the one they may gamble on at any stage. He usually is slow to regain his touch, but even throwing him up forward or a subs vest could be the option as he knows how to make a contribution in a limited role.
    I basically agree. Draw a line through LRT.

I wouldn't assume those timelines are exact, but in any case Goodes will come straight back in whenever he's ready.

Jetta and Reid are confidence players - you'd want them to give them a run in the seconds. So they're just about out of time.

Rohan could be our X-factor, but he's still only played two and half games.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    I basically agree. Draw a line through LRT.

I wouldn't assume those timelines are exact, but in any case Goodes will come straight back in whenever he's ready.

Jetta and Reid are confidence players - you'd want them to give them a run in the seconds. So they're just about out of time.

Rohan could be our X-factor, but he's still only played two and half games.
    I suspect the answer to a lot of these issues will rest largely on the results of the next few weeks. Convincing wins over Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn would put a clear case to retaining the current lineup, while a tight result, or losses in one or more of these, would push Longmire to making some changes. It's a great situation really, because it puts the players' fates in their own hands!

Of course, Goodes is above all this. He comes in no matter what. I also suspect Rohan will get a run if he's deemed ready, but at least he can be tested against St Kilda.

If we do make changes, you'd almost think a qualifying final loss could be a good thing for us. It would give the team longer to gel with new players in a game environment and quite a few if them will be fresh and won't need the break.

For mine we have what we have plus McGlynn. Goodes will play when fit, even if only as a sub in the finals (what an option to have on the bench). I'd still be saving Rohan for next year but I know lots of fans are bullish about his chances.

I don't think we'll see Reid, Jetta or Mr Football (LRT) again this year.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Horse just made it very clear on 7's pregame show he would love to have Rohan back in seniors and there's every chance we will see him before the finals

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12