Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games that you'll always remember but others probably forget

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    On the tragic side - the game when we blew a 6-goal 3QT lead v North ...and many of us did not know why, until well after.

What did we learn "well after"?
    That was the game head trainer Wally Jackson passed away on the interchange bench during the last quarter. They worked on him for 30 minutes solid trying to revive him as players came on and off the field and our lead just frittered away as the situation became unbearable for the players who were obviously quite distressed. Terrible, terrible night.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Yeah, I remember standing in the Noble Stand with binoculars and seeing what was happening. The next game at I think Etihad we won and his sons came on to walk the guys off.

Memorable? 1996 Round 11 v North Melbourne, the first time I ever saw Plugger smile after a one two with the shaven headed (erk - really awful look) Shagga. Dunks doing over Carey......alllll that red in the crowd

Enjoyed game against Brissy in I think 1998 or 1999? up north, Roosy's 350th, giving instructions to younger players. Someone in crowd yelling "get him a shovel" when Nicksy' was on his hands and knees after being winded, Plugger enjoying himself.

1996, Round 22, against West Coast, first time the chant went up, and the BEST one of all.

2002 Round 22, against Richmond, Roosy chant and the long walk around the ground by Dunks and Kell. Dunks took a mark and the boys all but put their hands behind their backs, compelling Dunks to actually kick the bloody ball, and the crowd in the know (he could not kick, his action was appalling) cheering him on.

Game against Adelaide maybe 2000 when the commentators were appalled that Bruce said that Kell was being given a bath, then he put the burners on and made him eat his words.
    Last edited by Primmy; 6th August 2013 at 08:43 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by alt_mattr View Post
    1994 Round 9 vs Melbourne. Swans kicked 7 goals in the final quarter to pull back a 23 point deficit. I think it was the first time I saw the Swans dominate a quarter of football like that. Derek Kickett had a good day and I loved watching that guy.
    There was another one in the late 90's where again we were behind against Melbourne and we kicked 10 goals in the last quarter. Matty Nicks was a star that day, kicked something like 6.7.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    He actually had a non-preferred foot?
    Which ever one wasn't in his mouth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    ...*Luffy marking the ball (on the wing , not I50 , unfortunately !) in his (and Dale Lewis's) last game , right on the siren .
    There was thunder , there was lightning , Nicksy kicked 6 goal 7 behinds (!) and we won by 87.
    Maybe I am getting my games crossed over.

Yep, definitely confused the Nicks game. It was 2001 against the Aints. Round 21 2001 Sydney v St Kilda - FinalSiren.com

Speaking of thunder and lightning what about the game against the Weagles at ANZ, Elimination final 2004!
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 6th August 2013 at 10:23 AM.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Speaking of thunder and lightning what about the game against the Weagles at ANZ, Elimination final 2004!
    Oh yeah, forgot that one! how could I? Don't know what was better. Being there and seeing the kids belt onto the ground for Ozkick in pelting rain before being headed off back into the rooms by the officials, or watching the replay afterwards with all the commentators going off about the lightning.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Great thread.

Most of the ones that stick in my mind have been mentioned but here are a few others:

1993 vs Melbourne - Osborne kicked 10. Only win of the season.
    1993 vs North - One for the wrong reasons, my second ever Swans game. Out at Princes Park, McAdam and Longmire kicked 19 between them to absolutely destroy us.
    1994 vs Carlton - Upset of the season at the SCG. Scotty Direen played a blinder and Diesel stormed off the ground.
    1995 vs North Melbourne - Dunkley beat Carey and we beat North. Great win and probably showed that we'd be a force in '96. I was a kid myself but saw Shannon Grant in the pub after the game. How times have changed.
    1996 vs Essendon - Came from the clouds to get a draw. Justin Crawford put us in front in the last quarter before a point to Hird. Grant and Lockett had massive last quarters.
    1997 vs Essendon - Great comeback in the wet to win by a point. Bayes pivotal in the comeback.
    1998 vs Port Adelaide - Lockett kicked a dozen in what was quite a tight game. 6 in the third quarter, including a couple of massive goals outside 50 sank the Power.
    1999 vs North - The comeback from about 7 goals down. Kelly broke a couple of tackles and kicked a beauty. Maxfield played a blinder and kicked the winning goal.
    2000 vs Essendon - They were unbeaten and we were in front for most of the day. Ran out of puff late and they won by about 3 goals.
    2001 vs Essendon - Alessio. Shattering day.
    2003 vs Collingwood - Beat Collingwood as underdogs at Docklands. Davo kicked the sealer against his old side. Great night at the footy.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I dont know what round or even the year to be precise (it was either 97 or 98) saw the swans lose to the doggies at waverley park by less than a goal - but what makes me remember that day was that i saw adam goodes play ressies for the first time and i was shocked at how good he looked.
    I'll never forget that one. Paul Hudson ripped my heart out. Plugger put us in front very late in the game (must have been his 7th or 8th for the day) and we thought we were home.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Blog Entries
    Rd 7, 2006 Paul Williams 300th @ Docklands
    Destroyed the Tigers by over 100 points.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Rd 7, 2006 Paul Williams 300th @ Docklands
    Destroyed the Tigers by over 100 points.
    Classic tigers supporter in front of us said "try playing this style on the MCG" comebacks were priceless

A few standouts...but unsure of the dates:
    Swans vrs Geelong. Watched Gary Ablet kick 12 goals & setting the SCG record. About 200 people at the game. I walked in at the bounce for free - no-one on the gate - after parking right outside the ground
    Swans vrs Saints. Lockett almost decapitated our CHB, tried to kick the ball into Ken's head (Kenny who leads team song) saints kicked like 7 goals in the last quarter to win game
    1996 - Round 22 vs WCE - Finished on top of the ladder: went with my wife, her first game. Pouring rain, Kickett mucking about until he goaled. People around me crying with joy.
    1996 - Lockett kicking that point to put us in the Preliminary final. Crowd went mad. Stormed the field, and ripped out a point post. Watched a man on the back of a guy in wheel chair riding along the Barongal concourse waving our flag like his life depended on it. I still get goose pumps.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    ....1996 - Lockett kicking that point to put us in the Preliminary final. Crowd went mad. Stormed the field, and ripped out a point post. Watched a man on the back of a guy in wheel chair riding along the Barongal concourse waving our flag like his life depended on it. I still get goose pumps.
    I don't think this one fits the "but others probably forget"
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Also, for me, beating Melbourne at the MCG in 1999. It was my first son's first game -one of the proudest days of my life!
    Your son's first game as a player or spectator?

82 Night Grand Final vs North

87 final vs Hawks at VFL Park watching Capper take the mark of the century, in the crook of his elbow, horizontal on Lanford's & also kicking his 100th. They lost the game but it was the first time I'd been in the Swans change rooms after a final. Will never forget that day.

I will never forget the overcast evening at Victoria Park when Barry Mitchell kicked the winning goal over the previously thought unbeatable Pies (1986 I think). The joy of victory was tempered by the hail of spit from the monochrome bogan hordes and the realisation the umpires were not going to get off the field alive. From memory a police horse was injured and one of the umpires did get a bit roughed up. I loved the win but my main memory is walking out as quick as possible, avoiding all eye contact and only pulling out the scarf and beanie when I was far enough away to be sure I could survive a bit of celebration.
    Another intense memory is the damn Alessio game that others have mentioned (2001). It took three years until I could enter Etihad without feeling nauseated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast