Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 21: Sydney Swans Reserves v UWS Giants

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Swans 3.5 9.6 12.16 15.20 (110)
    Giants 1.3 3.4 4.7 6.9 (45)

SYDNEY SWANS
    Goal Kickers: D. Towers 3, G. Rohan 2, T. Membrey 2, D. Cox 2, B. Plug , J. Lloyd , H. Cunningham , T. Armstrong , Y. Jaffer-Williams , T. Head
    Best Players: S. Biggs, A. Brown, J. Lockyer, J. Lloyd, H. Cunningham, X. Richards
    UWS GIANTS
    Goal Kickers: L. Sumner 2, B. Thornton , S. Reid , S. Frost , S. Edwards
    Best Players: M. Buntine, S. Gilham, L. Sumner, D. Tyson, S. Frost

Goes up to 11
    Well the Ressies was so much more enjoyable than the Firsts. It was a very strong performance across the ground, although GWS/UWS/Canberra or whatever the hell they are were a bit disappointing as well. I thought we had a lot of solid contributors ( I pointed out Lockyer and Biggs earlier) - Robinson and Jake Lloyd were pretty strong, Towers was impressive in patches (and physically quite a specimen), and Harry Cunningham looked to me to be a class above. Hopefully he gets a few more opportunities next year as he is developing into a smart footballer.

Even the toppies played well tonight , including the two indigenous fellas Jaffer-Williams and Cox, who didn't look out of place and added a bit of spark.

I think I'll just forget that there was another match after that one tonight...

I love that spread of goal kickers.

It has taken far too long for Dean Towers to make his presence felt. Didn't do a bad job. To be honest, I initially wondered why he was on the books in the first place. Finally the talent is showing up.
    I loved Yarren Jaffer-Williams and D. Cox. So inventive in their approach and quick. Skinny as.....what are they feeding on!
    Defense was terrific. Liked young Alex Brown's effort to touch a goal through even though we were up by a motza. Freakily weird to see X in action sometimes. Not a struck match between him and Ted when it comes to body movement.
    Lloyd Perris is worth a second look.
    Lockyer, Biggs, Harry, class above. Need a bit of beef yet, but things could get to be interesting in the future. They know its around the corner.
    I couldn't see any passengers out there. Looks like Crouchy has them jumping out of their skins.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I love that spread of goal kickers.

It has taken far too long for Dean Towers to make his presence felt. Didn't do a bad job. To be honest, I initially wondered why he was on the books in the first place. Finally the talent is showing up.
    I loved Yarren Jaffer-Williams and D. Cox. So inventive in their approach and quick. Skinny as.....what are they feeding on!
    Defense was terrific. Liked young Alex Brown's effort to touch a goal through even though we were up by a motza. Freakily weird to see X in action sometimes. Not a struck match between him and Ted when it comes to body movement.
    Lloyd Perris is worth a second look.
    Lockyer, Biggs, Harry, class above. Need a bit of beef yet, but things could get to be interesting in the future. They know its around the corner.
    I couldn't see any passengers out there. Looks like Crouchy has them jumping out of their skins.
    Perhaps he could have a word with Horse?
    And thanks again ugg, great work.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Happy to see Lockyer stepping up in recent games. He started out so positively.

It was disappointing (in a strange way) how poorly some of GWS's high draft picks played, especially Kristen Jaksch (pick #12), who I believe wants out. I thought we could poach one of their KPPs, but except for Plowman, who I doubt they would trade, there wasn't much to like. Frost, who played in the ruck, but is really a tall utility is perhaps worth a look.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'm going to echo many of the comments made by others.

Crouch has his team playing very disciplined, hard working football. I've thought this before earlier in the season when we've played Gold Coast and GWS that many of their players seem to want to get by on talent rather than application. There have been games against each where the Swans have just been too undermanned to stay competitive for the whole game. But with 12-13 listed players and a decent sprinkling of the regular top-ups, they can match it with those teams crammed full of high draft picks. I would love to be stuck in a lift with Crouchy for an hour so I can grill him about exactly how the top-ups are prepared. No doubt the fact that they train together under the academy staff helps but he must have limited time with them and the rest of the reserves team each week.

Cox and YJW were huge fun to watch. They seemed to play tag team - ie one of other was on the ground, up forward, for most of the game, but not the two of them together. I'd have loved to watch them in tandem for a while. Both were guilty of lacking a bit of composure in front of goal, especially Jaffer-Williams. He should have had three or four goals to his name. But they have pace, agility and some skills. One of them (can't remember which) took a great juggling mark off balance.

One of my absolute favourite regular toppies is Doug Hadden and he didn't disappoint yesterday. He's been playing with the reserves for a couple of years so he must be 18-19 by now, yet I note he wasn't one of the names who nominated for the draft. Maybe he doesn't want an AFL career, and to be fair, he may be slightly too small to make it. But he's a fiercely determined, livewire hard nut and he had another good game yesterday.

I hope the Swans are looking at Head for a rookie spot this year. I note his name, too, wasn't on the list of nominated academy players. He may not qualify as he was a Freo scholarship holder until last year. Maybe he's still tied to them. He's probably undersized to be an AFL ruckman but could possibly pinch hit at that level. He moves well for a big lad and has some skill to match.

I really enjoyed Armstrong's game. It looks like he's now realised that the best way to shine in the reserves (and hence have a chance at a senior recall) is not to try and shine, but just to play within the team structures. He was lively and tried to create through the middle, but not to the detriment of what the team was trying to do.

Membrey was one of the few who struggled to get into the game. There were lots of "nearly" moments, when he just let a mark slip through his fingers. He was playing deeper than probably suits him, due to a lack of any really tall key forward targets. He did kick two goals, within a minute or so of each other. The first was an excellent shot under pressure from tight on the boundary. Here's hoping he can take his endurance to another level in the off-season so he can push for a half-forward spot in the senior team next year.

All the defence played very well. Seeing Lockyer with some confidence back is great. He is finally starting to look like he could become a senior player, not as a key defender but as a "3rd tall" type. If AJ can make the transition into a true key defender and X can stack some weight on, our junior defensive stocks are not looking so bad after all, with the likes of Brown, Lockyer (and of course, Rampe) looking capable of that "third tall" role moving forward.

Agree liz with Head (who is no longer watching the game instead of playing it), and Armstrong's different approach which looks like a bit of maturity. Wondering if Tim M's self belief is taking a bit of pounding. I thought he did some good things, and you can see the talent is in him. I think I will keep my faith with him though. Didn't watch to see if he was actually tagged this game.

One thing I forgot to tell you about - watching Rohan twist and turn and speed off on those legs made me grin like a loon. He gave his ability to spin out of trouble at angle and pace a real work out and it is all good people. We will see him back before too long, even if it is 2014. Just as an aside, he is one of those kids who has grown into his features and he has gone from being a nice looking kid to quite a good looking bloke with amazing hair.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Queanbeyan just beat Belconnen so we have for all intents and purposes clinched the minor premiership. I had the dates wrong in my post from last night.

The Sydney UNI game is the curtain raiser to the St Kilda game. The following week against Geelong is the first week of the NEAFL finals and will be the week's break for the ressies which may not be what the club actually prefers to happen. Then for the following week the Reserves have earned the right to host a final and let's hope it's the curtain raiser for the Hawks game at ANZ

Veteran Site Admin
    Wondering if Tim M's self belief is taking a bit of pounding. I thought he did some good things, and you can see the talent is in him. I think I will keep my faith with him though. Didn't watch to see if he was actually tagged this game.
    He had a defender on his tail all afternoon, and one a little taller than Tim. I didn't look to see who it was, but given we were playing the Giants, it would have been a high draftee, no doubt. Tim isn't really quick enough or tall enough to play as a fast leading forward, one out against a decent forward. He's going to need to develop a game playing further up the ground, where he can run players around. And for the most part, that's the role he's been playing in the reserves.

Just as an aside, he is one of those kids who has grown into his features and he has gone from being a nice looking kid to quite a good looking bloke with amazing hair.
    I must admit I spent a fair bit of time yesterday admiring his hair!

It was Gilham first half and Plowman 2nd half

I thought Rohan's hair was in need of a wash!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I must admit I spent a fair bit of time yesterday admiring his hair!
    I didn't recognise him when i first got there, the flame looks to have deepened.
    Whatever, it's certainly better then Hannebery, he must have lost a bet!

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The defence was the standout for me - there were long periods where UWS just couldn't get anywhere near their forward 50.

I'll echo the thought that it was Lockyer's best game - he looked so assured and confident down back. Brown also played well got in many spoils while Richards continues to impress with an attacking brand of defence. Biggs went well too, playing a bit further up the ground than usual, more of a wingman today. Lloyd had a intriguing matchup on Tyson both were impressive for their respective teams so we might call it a draw there. Towers had plenty of opportunities but fluffed a few shots and finished with 3 goals 6 behinds. Some of the toppies also played well, including some exciting goals from Jaffer-Williams and Cox.

We play easybeats Sydney Uni to finish the season next week so if Belconnen lose either this week (Queanbeyan - a chance but the defending premiers have been hit by injuries and are a shadow of last year's champion outfit) or next (Tuggeranong - very unlikely as the Hawjs are easily the worst team in the comp and have already been omitted from next year's revamped NEAFL) we will claim the minor premiership and a week off. If we finish 2nd we will host a final but since the seniors play away at Geelong that week it will probably be at Blacktown.
    Zac Williams kicked one of the goals of the day mate. He looks a good kid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Well the Ressies was so much more enjoyable than the Firsts. It was a very strong performance across the ground, although GWS/UWS/Canberra or whatever the hell they are were a bit disappointing as well. I thought we had a lot of solid contributors ( I pointed out Lockyer and Biggs earlier) - Robinson and Jake Lloyd were pretty strong, Towers was impressive in patches (and physically quite a specimen), and Harry Cunningham looked to me to be a class above. Hopefully he gets a few more opportunities next year as he is developing into a smart footballer.

Even the toppies played well tonight , including the two indigenous fellas Jaffer-Williams and Cox, who didn't look out of place and added a bit of spark.

I think I'll just forget that there was another match after that one tonight...
    You forgot Zac Williams he was great

- - - Updated - - -

Agree liz with Head (who is no longer watching the game instead of playing it), and Armstrong's different approach which looks like a bit of maturity. Wondering if Tim M's self belief is taking a bit of pounding. I thought he did some good things, and you can see the talent is in him. I think I will keep my faith with him though. Didn't watch to see if he was actually tagged this game.

One thing I forgot to tell you about - watching Rohan twist and turn and speed off on those legs made me grin like a loon. He gave his ability to spin out of trouble at angle and pace a real work out and it is all good people. We will see him back before too long, even if it is 2014. Just as an aside, he is one of those kids who has grown into his features and he has gone from being a nice looking kid to quite a good looking bloke with amazing hair.
    The problem I had with the delivery was it was too wide on occasions for Timbo to get hold of. So often the ball was so close to the boundary or to his disadvantage that he really had to work very hard to make the play.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast