Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans v Saints

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    Just saying that if you wanted to experiment to find a more effective set-up, then the Saints game is the time to do it. Longmire drops people all the time to try different things.

People are overrating BJ. Yes he will probably be a really good player in the future, and he has done well to-date, but he is raw. I don't know why people are obsessed with the future when we have a 2013 flag to win. We've done enough investing that sets us in good stead. We need to win in September now.

Someone give me one good reason why a fit and in-form Morton is not good enough to play in the side....?
    Mitch spoke at the post match Chairmans Club function last night. Was very earnest in his comments, and clearly spoke from the heart about his love for the Club. Re his fitness-still has sore knees, which really played up after playing on the 'concrete like surface' at the Gabba last week. He's hoping to spend the next 2-3 weeks getting back to full match fitness, to give himself a chance of selection for the Finals. Spoke like a man who deep down knew he'd played his last Senior game...
    Regards,

Boro Boy

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of Lamb in for Everitt.
    I think Lamb offers higher level of Skill than Everitt. he got shown up a bit last night.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I think Lamb offers higher level of Skill than Everitt. he got shown up a bit last night.
    Everitt has to stay. We can't match up Hawthorn (Buddy, Roughhead, Gunston, Hall) without him. Difficult enough with Everitt in the team.

The last play of the 3rd qtr when Reid took a mark on Rampe, I was wondering why Reg wasn't playing on him. It showed that as good as Rampe has been, you can't play someone several inches taller and a dozen kgs heavier on him.

But I do agree that Lamb should come into the side, but rather in place of one of our tired midfielders. I'd give Mitchell a rest, or have him as the Sub. I would also bring Armstrong back, who has been playing well in the Ressies. Also play Jude and Benny in the midfield more next week and give ROK and Joey a bit of a breather. It's all about freshening up for the final run home which will start with the Cats game. We really need to win one of those last 2 games.

We weren't terrible against the Pies. We missed a number of opportunities, especially in the first half. They just were able to apply more pressure down the stretch. We missed a lot of important tackles in the 2nd half. The Pies were able to break away from several tight situations to run the field and kick a goal. But we weren't really smashed, just beaten by enough. There were 2 good midfields out there, but one had more energy to run out the game, and it wasn't us.

Blog Entries
    Our backs did OK, with the amount of ball coming in, The bigger issue was why the ball was coming in so easily, it was not the backs it was the mids.
    Then we had no one to run the ball out.
    Rhyce will soon take over that role.
    Lamb could help out, and release McVeigh up forward again. Or Vice versa.

Draft Scout
    Might be a chance to rest a few this week for two tough games to come...
    Concerns on injury and form of Kennedy over last couple of weeks.
    Out: hanners Kennedy Mitchell bj
    In: towers lamb biggs rohan(sub)

P.s. this is a one off, because saints are no chance

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by boroboy View Post
    Mitch spoke at the post match Chairmans Club function last night. Was very earnest in his comments, and clearly spoke from the heart about his love for the Club. Re his fitness-still has sore knees, which really played up after playing on the 'concrete like surface' at the Gabba last week. He's hoping to spend the next 2-3 weeks getting back to full match fitness, to give himself a chance of selection for the Finals. Spoke like a man who deep down knew he'd played his last Senior game...

Platers who have demonstrated great Grand Final form are rare birds; and team managers and coaches remember them. No matter what happens between now and selection time for this year's Grandy, and assuming we are there, the memory of Mitch's goals and terrific pressure acts last September will be raised.
    Some guys grow another leg in huge games..LRT is another model, and if has even 90% fitness, I bet his name will be tossed around ..It may be a long selection meeting.
    I just hope the meeting happens.

Senior Player
    I back JL and the rest to pick the right team. I am calling a win for us by 5-6 goals - as long as Riewoldt does not find his kicking boots ,which could affect the magin , but not the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    I back JL and the rest to pick the right team.
    I'm sure Jed would probably pick himself........

- - - Updated - - -

Jed Lamb into the mids. White into the reserves and Josh Kennedy into the forward line. BJ Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    But Lamb can't be expected to take a tall forward surely, which is what everitt can do when needed? Especially considering that Lamb has spent his time mainly up forward when playing in the top team this season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ajn View Post
    Might be a chance to rest a few this week for two tough games to come...
    Concerns on injury and form of Kennedy over last couple of weeks.
    Out: hanners Kennedy Mitchell bj
    In: towers lamb biggs rohan(sub)

P.s. this is a one off, because saints are no chance
    Whilst the point is fair, I'm not sure dropping 3 of our best midfieders and bringing in two debutants, plus another that hasn't played a seniors game for 18 months would be a particularly wise idea. St Kilda might be a shadow of their former self, but no game is a 'gimme', and one thing we can't afford is to drop the game this week. If anything, we have to try and absolutely smack St Kilda - you never know what might happen - Freo could drop a game to Port and suddenly percentage is all important again.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    No change, maybe Hanners can have week off, his body could probably do with a break.
    Over the last two weeks we have re-introduced a couple of footballers, and over the last two weeks we haven't seemed as dominate as previous weeks with Shaw and McGlynn getting back up to speed. It also had a bit to do with the quality of the opposition.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I think Sat against the Pies was a case of a mentally tired team. We've had a very good run of wins, some of which really stretched us. We came up against a Pies team on the up and got stunned by their midfield hardness - which wasn't there in the last swans-Pies match at the G. We no doubt also have a few tired bodies.

BUT ...

IMO, we have our structure as good as possible at the moment when I consider the injured. In the absence of LRT/AJ, the backline must include Dre as the extra tall. In the absence of Goodes/Reid, the forward line must include White for his size and athleticism. And we must get as much game time into Shaw and McGlynn before the finals. Horse will know what to do with the team this week ... look after the tired bodies but get into their heads about how we got out-Swanned.

No changes barring injury.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Bj should go out.... he's had a great taste of it and will only get better over the next few years.....but.....

He's a cross between, a bunny in the spotlights, and a greyhound with no bunny to chase....ie:. To put it mildly, he lacks composure.

Lamb back in.

White was back to his drift out form, needs a big one this week.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast