Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans v Saints

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Bj should go out.... he's had a great taste of it and will only get better over the next few years.....but.....

He's a cross between, a bunny in the spotlights, and a greyhound with no bunny to chase....ie:. To put it mildly, he lacks composure.

Lamb back in.

White was back to his drift out form, needs a big one this week.
    Yep

Bj should go out.... he's had a great taste of it and will only get better over the next few years.....but.....

He's a cross between, a bunny in the spotlights, and a greyhound with no bunny to chase....ie:. To put it mildly, he lacks composure.

Lamb back in.

White was back to his drift out form, needs a big one this week.
    I think White is being unfairly singled out. Better to look at the numerous missed tackles from our elite midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think White is being unfairly singled out. Better to look at the numerous missed tackles from our elite midfielders.
    I'm not meaning to single him out, rather, we have a top heavy side at present and you'd think if they want to make a change, other than BJ, it will be a tall going out...

It won't be Pyke, Mummy or Tippett....White would be first cab off the rank, you'd think. Therefore, IMO, he needs a big game this week to hold his place.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I must say I am as worried about pyke as i am about white. Pyke seems to have lost his ability to take marks in the forward half since the arrival of tippett, and to be honest he just doesnt contribute as much around the ground as mummy. unless we work out how to use him more he becomes very lamppost like in the forward line

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    The Aints are dead set hopeless, some of their players are not even enjoying playing the game any more, rest any one who is knackered. Send Hanners back to the shearing shed to finish the job off.

HP

I'm not meaning to single him out, rather, we have a top heavy side at present and you'd think if they want to make a change, other than BJ, it will be a tall going out...

It won't be Pyke, Mummy or Tippett....White would be first cab off the rank, you'd think. Therefore, IMO, he needs a big game this week to hold his place.
    If we are too top heavy, it is not White that is making it so. He is really playing Sam Reid's usual role at the moment, and if the question came up if we were too top heavy with Sam in the team instead of White, we would looking at Mummy or Pyke being the top heavy problem.

We don't have much of a choice at the moment. Our options are few. If Mummy signs on, I am sure we will revisit this problem next year.

Our problem is that both Mummy and Pyke are too good, and either one could ruck 80% of the game. Tippett makes Pyke's role as the strong marking option a bit superfluous, especially when Tippo is on song, like he has been of late. White is better around the ground than Pyke, but probably not as good an option in the ruck or as a FF target.

It is certainly valid to compare Reid and White in this CHF role, but probably not in the top heavy argument, which is really one of having all of Mummy, Pyke and Tippett in the same side. Statistically Reid and White are pretty close, and I think that's a fairly accurate reflection of their respective contributions.

Because of the lopsided contribution of Tippett on Saturday, we might be looking at why the other talls didn't kick goals. But over the recent period the 4 talls have worked pretty well and cause more problems for the opposition than they do for us.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    One of our basic problems is that we are missing last season's top goalkicker, and nobody has replaced him. Perhaps Rohan could; in any case I'd like to give him the chance, despite his comparative lack of experience.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'm convinced that the across-the-board under-performance of the team over the last two weeks had more to do with a heavy training load than any structural problems.

A bit more speed down the wings would be great, so Rohan's an outside chance, but I'd be shocked if the coaching staff made any changes this week.

I'd expect the lads to get smashed at training this week as they continue preparing for September, drag themselves through on Sunday, have the media conclude that they're not really a threat this year and then rest up for a big game at Simmonds on the following weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I must say I am as worried about pyke as i am about white. Pyke seems to have lost his ability to take marks in the forward half since the arrival of tippett, and to be honest he just doesnt contribute as much around the ground as mummy. unless we work out how to use him more he becomes very lamppost like in the forward line
    He took a few around the ground on the weekend didn't he? (I could be confused with the GF rerun that my son put on to cheer himself up on Sunday)There seems to be a bit of friction and trial-and-error going on trying to make the most of the big men without getting in each other's way.

The question is whether Longmire will upset the apple cart by replacing one of them with Goodes when he returns. Based simply on the roles that they play, I suspect Goodes will slot into White's role.

Quote Originally Posted by DK_ View Post
    He took a few around the ground on the weekend didn't he? (I could be confused with the GF rerun that my son put on to cheer himself up on Sunday)There seems to be a bit of friction and trial-and-error going on trying to make the most of the big men without getting in each other's way.
    Pyke is still number 3 for contested marks and at least the 5 which Cloke has over him are the result of umpiring discrepancies. Cloke gets a charmed run from the Umps while they still seem to struggle with the idea that Pyke is not the one infringing. Game after game he gets his head smacked and his arm pulled and pushed under the ball. I think the fact that he is so professional means it does not get noticed. He never remonstrates... never.

I agree the big men need time to learn how to work together. I think it is coming together though. Not once did Pyke or White or Mumford get in the way of Tippet against the Pies. Once, when Pyke and Tippet were in the same contest, Pyke kept out of his way and concentrated on keeping his opponent from spoiling.

On that point, if White does nothing more than keep a good defender out of the contests, he will be doing a good job. Six from Tippet each week covers both of them

Veterans List
    3 games to go. I expect them to play what they believe is the best side coming into the finals, Goodes excluded. He will be back in soon.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I like the idea of Lamb in for Everitt.
    I think Lamb offers higher level of Skill than Everitt. he got shown up a bit last night.
    And Lamb also shows a higher level of skill than Mummy or Ted. But so what?
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast