Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans v Saints

Mumford struggles to stay uninjured rucking alone week to week so we need to Pyke in form on the field. Tippet, White and the 'resting' ruckmen have been learning to work together to draw defenders. The C-wood game was useless from that perspective because of a bad day from our mids.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    And Lamb also shows a higher level of skill than Mummy or Ted. But so what?
    Really?

Zero changes.

But would like to see, either Jed Lamb or Ginger Ninja in, BJ out, Everitt Int.

On the Rookie List
    I have been re-thinking my view on this, and I'm thinking one change:

Out: BJ
    In: Rohan (sub)

If Rohan is going to be a finals player for us, this is the game to get it happening. I know the club have been hinting at round 22, but I don't see the difference between a week earlier against poor opposition vs a week later against the best.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alt_mattr View Post
    Not once did Pyke or White or Mumford get in the way of Tippet against the Pies. Once, when Pyke and Tippet were in the same contest, Pyke kept out of his way and concentrated on keeping his opponent from spoiling.
    I noticed that contest too - he managed to keep both his own and Tippetts opponent on the ground to allow Kurt to take an uncontested mark. While we may be trying to work out the best system of fitting them all in - Pyke will work whichever way suits the team best without ego and without question.

He's been a star this year and is almost certainly all Canadian for 2013.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I noticed that contest too - he managed to keep both his own and Tippetts opponent on the ground to allow Kurt to take an uncontested mark. While we may be trying to work out the best system of fitting them all in - Pyke will work whichever way suits the team best without ego and without question.

Pyke's best work has always been in creating space for others to capitalise on through a well-timed block or bump.

In his interview last night, Horse said he's very happy with the forward setup and that they're learning to work well together. I'm not expecting any changes there in the near future.

Four talls may be the strategy for this flag. Relying on a slingshot is very high risk given the uncertainties around the main protagonists - Shaw, Jetta and maybe Rohan. A battery of power forwards could be the alternative.

I'm starting to wonder whether Horse is talking up the return of the injured stars to a) keep the opposition guessing and b) keep pressure on the incumbents when he doesn't actually expect them to play.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    If the club are serious about Rohan returning to the side, this would be the best week to do it. The Reserves are playing Sydney Uni who with all due respect won't be much opposition (they lost to UWS 2 weeks ago by 192 points, and we beat UWS by 65 points last week) and the intensity of the match won't be much greater than that of a training drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    There's a lot to love about the big man - the Canadian Rugby Rep to AFL Premiership player story, the discipline, commitment, his contested marks, blocking to create opportunities for teammates, top class rucking and whole-hearted embracement of Swans culture.

But I think the thing I love about him the most is when he does something big like take a huge contested mark and then goals to put the Swans in front with 10 minutes to go. Most forwards in the competition would jump around like crazy, high-five their teammates, the bench, the first three rows of the crowd and a couple of people who just happened to be driving past the stadium at the time. Instead, Pyke treats himself to a single understated fist pump and then trots back to the centre square for the ball up. You would think he's just slotted a practice goal at training for all the celebration! Gold to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by alt_mattr View Post
    Pyke is still number 3 for contested marks and at least the 5 which Cloke has over him are the result of umpiring discrepancies. Cloke gets a charmed run from the Umps while they still seem to struggle with the idea that Pyke is not the one infringing. Game after game he gets his head smacked and his arm pulled and pushed under the ball. I think the fact that he is so professional means it does not get noticed. He never remonstrates... never.
    I think there was one occasion where he seemed to quote chapter and verse to the umpie about what the ruck infringement rules really were, but he is pretty focused on getting on with the job at hand.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by DK_ View Post
    Pyke treats himself to a single understated fist pump and then trots back to the centre square for the ball up. You would think he's just slotted a practice goal at training for all the celebration! Gold to watch!
    Similar to the understated way that idiot O'brien celebrated on Saturday night? You'd think he'd just kicked the winning goal in the GF the way he carried on

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Similar to the understated way that idiot O'brien celebrated on Saturday night? You'd think he'd just kicked the winning goal in the GF the way he carried on
    Now that Didak is seemingly finished as a seniors team player, Harry has slotted nicely onto my most hated player spot.

Gold medal class hypocrite...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Out -T.Mitchell (to rest no ressies),B.Jack,B.Mcglynn
    In -Rohan (sub),Lamb,Towers.

Young Tom has looked weary the last 2 weeks and while still having an impact may benefit from a freshen up,BJ id be tempted to rest completely as well and Mcglynn shouldnt have walked straight back into the side imo.Lamb is fit and playing well,Towers deserves an oppurtunity and Rohan needs to be sub this week or put him in cotton wool for next year.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast