Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaws role for the remainder of 2013 season

Shaws role for the remainder of 2013 season

we have seen Rhys come back the last two weeks into the Seniors - very under done but hung in there

he had a few jobs and I would love to see him be ready for the back line again........

Macca has done a very good job down back.......but is Rhys ready to take on his vocal role again ?

he did a brilliant job for us last season and Macca back in the midfield or HFF would be just as compelling for me

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Draft Scout
    I think he maybe better off as a wing that plays the 7th defender, need to open up space for some more slingshot footy.
    Midfield is stacked and doesn't need McVeigh except for a chop out...
    Staying ahead of the game...

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajn View Post
    ...Midfield is stacked and doesn't need McVeigh except for a chop out...
    Maybe move Macca in and give one of the others a break across HF and midfield? Hanners or Joey? Pebbles is often a strong mark across HF, Joey too.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Shaw can only play defense, so hes a lock for the defenders role

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Don't agree. I've seen Shaw play some great games in a 'run with/tagger' role however we do miss some run out of defence. A few more games and we'll start seeing the Shaw of old.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Is that just for DT/SC?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Excellent question Auntie Gerald, and this is from someone who doesn't put all of your questions in that category. :-)

For mine, team balance has been affected by Shaw's return. I can see what the coaching staff are trying to do with Shaw, but that seems to put forward line balance out at the expense of backline balance. The immediate effect I can see is that we have become too Tippett-centric. KT has certainly done his job in kicking 6 in each game since Shaw has returned but our performances as a team haven't been what we'd like. At the moment I see us torn between the two seas of playing the young guys who are fit and in decent form and the older guys who will yield more when fit but are presently struggling.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Goes up to 11
    I think having Tippett in the team is the reason we are a bit too Tippett-centric at the moment, and not because of Shaw's return.

And no, IMO Rhyce should not replace Macca's role. Macca is doing a sterling job and should remain in that role....

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Excellent question Auntie Gerald, and this is from someone who doesn't put all of your questions in that category. :-)

For mine, team balance has been affected by Shaw's return. I can see what the coaching staff are trying to do with Shaw, but that seems to put forward line balance out at the expense of backline balance. The immediate effect I can see is that we have become too Tippett-centric. KT has certainly done his job in kicking 6 in each game since Shaw has returned but our performances as a team haven't been what we'd like. At the moment I see us torn between the two seas of playing the young guys who are fit and in decent form and the older guys who will yield more when fit but are presently struggling.
    I agree wholeheartedly. The balance last week was dreadful and we just bombed the ball in hoping Tippett or one of the other talls took a mark. Shaw's and Benny's role should have been to be at their feet but generally they were nowhere to be seen. Both a little underdone and not up to it. I would have preferred the type of footy we were playing before the break and to just slip Tippett into that format. There is no reason why he can't play in that format as he is a great lead. so many times against Pies I saw a player in the centre of the forward line all on their lonesome calling for the ball and each time being ignored for a kick to Tip. Bloody stupid if you ask me.Big Mummy must think his team-mates don't love him any more. I don't know how many times he and White led or were open i the centre of the forward line and ignores for a kick to Tippett.

LONGMIRE STOP FLOGGING TIPPETT!!!. GO BACK TO OUR WAY OF PLAYING!!!!!

On subject. I don't think there is a defensive role for him every week now. We have horses for courses and sometimes the type of role he would play is played by either Macca or Mal. I must admit though I am getting sick of Mal just bombing the ball to the wing every time. That is a coaching instruction I believe and a REALLY BAD one.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think the delivery into the forward line last week - what little of it there was - was heavily affected by the pressure the Pies applied and the complete lack of space that the Swans were able to create in the midfield. As a team they are always a bit prone to long, aimless banging it forward - sometimes it works, many other times it doesn't - but generally they mix it up with a bit of run and carry that enables shorter kicks that actually aim for a target. There was pretty much none of that against Collingwood, meaning ALL the forward line delivery was essentially "kick it long in the general Tippett direction (even when he had pushed up the ground and wasn't there to contest)".

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. The balance last week was dreadful and we just bombed the ball in hoping Tippett or one of the other talls took a mark. Shaw's and Benny's role should have been to be at their feet but generally they were nowhere to be seen. Both a little underdone and not up to it. I would have preferred the type of footy we were playing before the break and to just slip Tippett into that format. There is no reason why he can't play in that format as he is a great lead. so many times against Pies I saw a player in the centre of the forward line all on their lonesome calling for the ball and each time being ignored for a kick to Tip. Bloody stupid if you ask me.Big Mummy must think his team-mates don't love him any more. I don't know how many times he and White led or were open i the centre of the forward line and ignores for a kick to Tippett.

LONGMIRE STOP FLOGGING TIPPETT!!!. GO BACK TO OUR WAY OF PLAYING!!!!!

On subject. I don't think there is a defensive role for him every week now. We have horses for courses and sometimes the type of role he would play is played by either Macca or Mal. I must admit though I am getting sick of Mal just bombing the ball to the wing every time. That is a coaching instruction I believe and a REALLY BAD one.
    i noticed this a lot the week before against the dogs. jesse would make the lead 30 metres from the ball and be in space, but the midfielder would just go over his head. obviously part of it appears to be team instruction and i suspect some is a lack of faith, and some is as liz says an ingrained habit of when in doubt get the thing as far away from me as possible.

either way we need other options - and this is what jetta gave us - he forced other teams to play goal side and drag a fast player away to the wing. he also allowed us to kick it into the space and hope we would get there first. currently this is not the case. if the ball goes over tippett he doesnt have a great turning circle and is not overly quick so most defenders get back to it first. we have to kick it short of him rather than bomb it to his head and hope.
    its fine if tippett is clunking at least 50% of them. if he is not we are burning all the other forward targets (who will stop leading) and assisting the defenders of the other team who can sag off and clear with impunity.

as for mal - i think he is actually struggling a bit at the moment. the long kicks to the wing are predictable to both teams but we aren't getting much from it because we are struggling inside - with jpk being well held and no goodes. if i thought a week off would actually assist mal i'd give him a rest this week and bring in cunningham. in actual fact id think about resting hanners and mitchell too, but it starts getting to be a lot of changes. but we looked so sore last week and unable to get space that there is a case to be made for it.

Its an interesting question do we disrupt the defence if macca comes out and Shaw returns? What is the best role for Shaw - the role macca is currently playing?
    Why were Shaw and McGlynn rushed back into seniors, we played 2 under done players? I thought it was strange Lamb was dropped and not jack and then Jack played last 15 - 20 mins what was the point?

Cheers

waz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast