Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rising Sun could be in trouble

Blog Entries

Rising Sun could be in trouble

Another liquor industry figure associated with a string of well-known inner-city pubs, Michael Reardon, was made bankrupt in June, court documents show.
    Mr Reardon and his wife, Rosemary, control or had interests in the North Fitzroy Arms, the Carringbush in Abbotsford, Richmond's All Nations Hotel and the Rising Sun Hotel in South Melbourne.

The fate of the Rising Sun and All Nations is also under a cloud. Until recently both venues were owned by entities associated with Mrs Reardon.
    Read more: Straitened times put pubs on block

Umm??????
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I assume you are wondering why this is relevant - it is the pub which shows swans matches down here where the south melbourne crowd get along to

No worries, back to Bells Hotel then.
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    So someone else now owns the Rising Sun. It's only a worry if they don't play Swans matches on their house screens, and I'd think that's an unlikely scenario.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Isn't there a stronger link to this South Melbourne pub than just it plays our games on the TV?

Went there after both flags so some great memories.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Isn't there a stronger link to this South Melbourne pub than just it plays our games on the TV?
    There certainly is. It's a traditional South watering hole, and has been for a long time. Past players drop in from time to time, every match day sees the place crowded with young and old in red and white, photos of past heroes cover the walls. Which is why I think it's unlikely that the new owner is going to stop playing our games on the TV.
    But if I'm wrong, tradition and a collection of transistor radios won't be enough to bring the fans.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Ta hammer. Looked like a weird post without that sad info.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    No worries, back to Bells Hotel then.
    We've spent the past 3 GF evenings until the wee hours at Billy Bells. Strangely enough, I think the consensus when we walked/staggered out last September was that we would try the Rising Sun this year to avert the WLWL scenario...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    There certainly is. It's a traditional South watering hole, and has been for a long time. Past players drop in from time to time, every match day sees the place crowded with young and old in red and white, photos of past heroes cover the walls. Which is why I think it's unlikely that the new owner is going to stop playing our games on the TV.
    But if I'm wrong, tradition and a collection of transistor radios won't be enough to bring the fans.
    Absolutely! It's a place you can catch up with friendly faces -some of them from Lake Oval days - and there's a great atmosphere provided by one eyed Swans fans and magnificent memorabilia on the walls. (I could be wrong but I think the memorabilia belongs to the club and therefore could be moved to another pub in South Melbourne. However, the pub is very close to where my mother lived as a girl so even though another pub down South could provide the same feeling for us, I'd be sad to see the Rising Sun no longer used as a Swans home base!)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Probably has nothing to do with the fact it is packed out. Most likely 'other" reasons why they have gone to the wall. You wouldn't think the pub runs at a loss. I reckon they made their years profits on GF night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast