Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round 22: Sydney Uni v Sydney Swans Reserves

The blond Isaac Heeney (I think that's it, 51??) had a Big Day Out for his first game as a toppie. He was not going to end the day wondering that's for sure. Great potential there.

Looking forward to ugg's assessment. Thomas Head should be a keeper. BJ must have caused his mum heart attacks growing up - no fear. X has a mature approach to everything. Shiggsy is getting better and better.

That's the thing everyone. It's the players that get better and better each week that you know are going places. Those that arrive with ability and style over and above the qualities of other first year players but it stays exactly the same week in week out never ever progress further up the scale. The learners do, even if they start way below the pack.

One other thing. Is Tony Armstrong the Captain of the ressies? If not, why not. Its subtle but his game is improving steadily and he is organising things out there. He may be a late bloomer but I would be very surprised if he wasn't retained. It's all there.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Uni really took it up to us in the first quarter and it wasn't just their physical pressure that caused problems. They definitely have some skill and structure and generated enough forward 50 entries to keep our back six busy. Certainly did not look like a side that lost by 180 points 2 weeks ago and inwardly the Swans would have been happy with such a willing contest. The Swans asserted their superiority in the 2nd quarter but for some sloppy work in the forward entries and some desperate defence including 5 rushed behinds, the Swans could only manage 2.8 in that term. The second half belonged to the Swans too as the Uni players started to tire, but they were not without their highlights including 4 goals to Tom Elkington and some good hard leads and marks by Ben Taggart and Peter Dugmore.

• Membrey - had a hot and cold day, his opponent Geraghty (#58) played him very well, stuck with him on the lead but also had the physical strength to compete in the marking contests. Membrey's renowned set shot accuracy was slightly askew as he missed some easy shots but what I liked about his game and have liked for some time is that he is a smart reader of play and also a creator and would have notched up a few assists as well. His time will come.
    • Cunningham - Liked his all round game, including the ability to sneak forward and present as a target.
    • Armstrong - Liking the change it attitude, no nonsense game who tried to keep things simple by taking the straightforward option instead of trying to beat opposition players on his own or trying the audacious kick.
    • Towers - with two ruckmen (Dawes and Naismith) back in the team, that allowed Head (see below) to settle at FF, which meant Towers started at HFF with the direction to push up to the contest, similar to how we structure up in the seniors. He was completely invisible in the first half, was better in the second half with some marks inside the forward 50 but remains very much a peripheral figure in this side.
    • Lockyer - another solid game defensively, took some brave marks in defence and then obviously brimming with confidence also was pretty useful going forward including a nice sprint down the middle and kick to Membrey who marked it.
    • Robinson - Had his time in his usual midfield spot but also dabbled with the occasional stint in the forward line.
    • Dick - one of his better games in defence, spoiled well but more importantly was a lot more competitive and also showed something with ball in hand.
    • Jack - had a quiet first half, ramped it up in the 2nd with some telling involvements in scores.
    • Naismith - spent the first half doing the world's longest warm up and practiced some set shots during the half time break with Tippett acting as his ballboy. Played a lot more forward than ruck, timing looked to be a little off, but very keen to launch himself at the contest with that big frame of his and at least one Uni defender copped the full brunt of that clash.
    • Brown - The understanding between Lockyer, Richards and Brown has grown as the season as progressed and they worked well again yesterday especially when Uni had their purple patch in the first quarter. Colours were lowered a little by having his opponent Elkington kick 3 of his 4 goals when Brown was marking him.
    • Richards - Did better in the one-on-one wrestling contests but was beaten on a lead a few times.
    • Lloyd - ball use was excellent yesterday, hardly missed a target, and continues to hit the scoreboard.
    • Biggs - Started in defence but played the majority of the game off a wing. Hard runner whose elite fitness allows him to get into the right spots at the right times.

Toppies
    • Head - seems to play well every time and is certainly turning, dare I say it, some heads around the joint. Tall, takes a good grab with his strong hands but also aerobically fit and can pinch hit in the ruck. I hear he also had a pretty good U18 carnival so he must be worth some consideration. I'm not sure what his draft status is like though and I think he's a little older than some of the other topups.
    • McKinlay - I'm a little surprised to see his name on the bests as I didn't notice him till late in the 3rd quarter. Must have been doing a tagging job?
    • Perris - played plenty of minutes in the midfield, not a standout today but definitely doesn't look out of place next to the listed players on the field.
    • Weir - With the ruck rearrangement explained above, he was shifted from forward to defence for most of the game although he did find himself back forward later on. No issues on his defensive duties but his awkward kicking style still sticks out.
    • Dunn - some nice deliveries into the forwards from the wing.
    • Wray - nothing stood out.

Of the toppie newbies
    • Dawes - Not a newbie but the first time I've seen him, big sized but very mobile and athletic. Tried a few kicks that were somewhat unruckman-like
    • Davis - Looked really good to me, lively type played mainly across half forward, read the play well on a few occasions and created chances.
    • Heeney - Nervous the first few plays he was involved in but settled nicely and was finished his two chances accurately.

Sydney Uni 3.3 5.3 7.6 8.8 (56)
    Swans Reserves 6.4 8.12 13.16 18.23 (131)

Goal Kickers: T. Head 3, D. Towers 3, J. Lloyd 2, H. Cunningham 2, T. Membrey 2, I. Heeney 2, J. McKinlay , A. Davis , S. Biggs , B. Jack
    Best Players: J. Lockyer, T. Armstrong, H. Cunningham, S. Biggs, J. Lloyd, J. McKinlay

A week's rest now before we host (hopefully as the curtain raiser to Hawthorn game) the prelim against the winner of Belconnen-Ainslie.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    The blond Isaac Heeney (I think that's it, 51??) had a Big Day Out for his first game as a toppie. He was not going to end the day wondering that's for sure. Great potential there.
    I am feeling so smug right now I would recommend you lot keep a distance, I am likely to become intolerable.

Heeney's first hit-out - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I am feeling so smug right now I would recommend you lot keep a distance, I am likely to become intolerable.

Heeney's first hit-out - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au
    Make the most of it Primmy - you're obviously entitled!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    If the kid is as good as his mothers whistle is piercing he'll be a standout! Very impressive.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    If the kid is as good as his mothers whistle is piercing he'll be a standout! Very impressive.
    Do you know if that was his mother? She was in our vicinity and prompted a vigorous discussion among our group as to whether she was mother, sister or girlfriend.

Let me say if it was his mother, she has preserved very very well... hubba bubba.

And yes, it was a whistle that would do a building site labourer proud...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Stats from the game

Best players
    • Jordan Lockyer - 9 kicks 12 handballs 5 marks 3 tackles 1 inside50 4 rebound50s
    • Tony Armstrong - 19 kicks 8 handballs 6 marks 4 tackles 6 inside50s 2 rebound50s
    • Harry Cunningham - 13 kicks 6 handballs 7 marks 3 tackles 3 clearances 6 inside50s 2 goals 1 behind
    • Shane Biggs - 26 kicks 10 handballs 4 marks 2 tackles 2 clearances 7 inside50s 4 rebound50s 1 goal 2 behinds
    • Jake Lloyd - 16 kicks 19 handballs 5 marks 1 tackle 4 clearances 5 inside50s
    • Jack McKinlay - 5 kicks 5 handballs 2 marks 1 tackle 1 clearance 1 inside50 1 goal 1 behind

Other players of interest
    • Brandon Jack - 12 kicks 4 handballs 3 tackles 10 inside50s 1 goal 2 behinds
    • Dean Towers - 7 kicks 7 handballs 5 marks 1 tackle 3 inside50s 3 goals 1 behind
    • Xavier Richards - 11 kicks 9 handballs 7 marks 1 tackle 1 clearance 1 inside50 1 rebound50
    • Lloyd Perris - 11 kicks 15 handballs 6 marks 2 tackles 2 clearances 4 inside50s
    • Tim Membrey - 13 kicks 4 handballs 5 marks 1 tackle 1 hitout 4 inside50s 2 goals 4 behinds

Also interesting we were slaughtered in the clearance 32-52 despite winning the hitouts 45-27

Thx Ugg (again)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12