Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most interesting observations vs Saints

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    We have to accept that the crowd size will be about what it is now until the renovations are completed. GA generally sells out and most casual supporters don't know about member resales and the like. If members aren't showing up on a day like yesterday, unless they had an unfortunate clash of pre-existing committments, there's really not a lot to be said for it. Perfect weather and playing conditions and still home by 7pm for dinner.
    I don't agree. It's neither an afternoon game or a night game. If you had any commitments at lunchtime or for dinner you were unlikely to make it.

My wife made the same comment about the low attendance last night so I guess the TV showed more of the partially empty new stands. At the ground it felt full - and there were very few Saints fans there (but their colours are close enough that maybe they just didn't show - there were certainly a lot at the pub afterwards). What's a capacity crowd at this stage? I thought it was under 30,000? If so yesterday wasn't far off.

It was impossible to buy tickets for a group of four on Friday morning, we had to spread our group around the game to get there. This is what happens as you get close to capacity and Sunday's game was only 9,000 off capacity (which is the equivalent of 96,000 at the MCG). Because of these kinds of constraints, you can't expect to push 30,000 at the SCG until next year.

I thought the crowd looked bigger yesterday for sure. I also agree with the earlier comment that there were a definite lack of opposition fans. If the normal quota of annoying opposition fans turned up, the crowd would easily have topped 30K...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wonder how much impact the varied scheduling of games will be having on crowds (and potentially on memberships over the next year or two)? As a quick count I put our 11 home games this year using 7 different start times.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Was there even a St Kilda cheer squad in attendance? Was looking for someone waving a Saints flag somewhere.
    Anyways Red Zone was pretty chockers, GA looked quite full too. Bronze had a few seats left in it, but to be honest, the game wasn't much of a spectacle, I can see why a lot of people didn't bother turning up. I actually didn't mind the 3:20 start time, gives you enough time to have lunch and a couple of drinks before the game, and enough time to grab dinner afterwards as well. I find the 1:40pm start times too rushed for lunch myself.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    My only observation was the pathetic crowd figure of 23,000. Premiership defence, chance to lock in top 4.

Do Swans fans hate the SCG as well ?
    I think that's a pretty good crowd for a training session...

At the ground, it seemed very full with few empty seats.

I make it to most games but my daughter had a camp that weekend so my wife had to pick her up hence two empty seats next to me! Most people with lives have commitments.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    The most interesting observation was from Horse after the game where he said, to paraphrase:

* none of the injured blokes have even started proper training (ie: team training, as opposed to a few laps) and
    * he's happy with the way the 'replacements' are going (ie: Jed, Jesse etc).

I've said before - don't expect to see Jetta this year, Reid only as an emergency measure if another tall back went down, and Goodes is the one they may, and I only mean may, gamble on.

It's most likely the 22 on the weekend, plus Mitchell and BJ, from here on in.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

On the Rookie List
    We'll be looking pretty good I think if Goodes makes a return. All positions are covered for, like-for-like. Rohan is one of the most important players in the team now. He needs to play full games, not as sub. The thought of BJ in the 2013 GF is not appealing, nor a smart option.

I forgot to mention......... yest for me I was equally watching our general attitude / body language ........ after the way some of our snr players carried themselves against the pies the week before which appeared a real concern !

starting with the young ones .....Rampe, Luke Parker, Lambie and Jessie white were extremely enthusiastic yest - I saw all 4 of them running up to high 5 and slap their team mates on the back. Parker was even clapping his team mates on the bench !!!

Luke was encouraging Rohan to keep cool.....as Gazza was madly waiting to get on the field.

Luke even ran over from a distance to congrat Gaz on his pass to Mcglynn !

Macca, Rok and Jack were composed and not cranky.......of the snr guys Shaw was a bundle of enthusiasm and is such an integral voice on our field above all his other qualities !

I am so glad Shaw is back and despite him gasping for air within mins of the last qtr when he was dragged he just is an epicentre of thought, accountability and encouragement.

Our last qtr wasnt great re attitude through action..........but Tip went off......white shined in his absence......Shaw was off........Garry was gasping after sprints

2 on the bench basically in the final qtr is always tough.

I was happy despite it not looking like the intensity and clinical footy i wanted - it wasnt to far off !

Jack went into the backs for a large portion of the last qtr - which was also interesting !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If its a sellout, where were the members ?

But I am merely making a point, that if we have 26,000 v 'aints at Homebush, there would be certain chardonay sippers having a little temper tanty on here.

Poor crowd irrespective of ground. Should be pulling 30,000 minimums after a flag, even against the Suns.
    The point is Barry...Most on here much prefer the SCG...End of story...

"Certain chardonay sippers"...please...Try, pinot gris, pinot grigio or perhaps a clare valley reisling...Chardonay went by the wayside with button up boots.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast