Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most interesting observations vs Saints

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most interesting observations vs Saints

Shaw starting down back and Macca in midfield. As the game was not as one sided as we all thought in the first half (scoreboard wise), the coaches move Macca down back and Shaw up the field. I prefer this. Macca is a good decision maker and a better kick. It also still gives us run from Shaw who is capable of kicking goals. I also prefer Shaw on match-ups vs Swan or Deledio. Players who are lazy and are weak running back to defend. In summary, Macca stays across half-back and Shaw across midfield and likely run with match up.

Tippett off the ground and White to key forward. I was concerned in the first half when I saw Tippett resting after a goal and walking the boundary line talking to our Physio in the first half. So I do believe that the minor hamstring scare is real. The intersting thing is what the coaches did on the ground. White to key forward. I do agree in other threads that White looks a different player playing with confidence and his currency has certainly risen as a trade target from opposition clubs. In my opinion, his recent performances has got him a gig for the finals. I still believe we look top heavy and need more run....a tall for a another runner. Everitt continues to make big blunders under pressure. I'd have White as my swing man between defence and attack and bring in a runner for Everitt. Not sure who that is but my preference is Jetta if fit. If not Jetta,I'd persevere with Rohan....X factor with talent and we do need it.

Other observations:

Lamb - I like. Still a bit rusty and looking for confidence if he belongs. Something about him...Steve J like.
    Rampe - I like like! AJ's injury was so sad but out of adversity comes opportunity. We've found a serious player here. As a side note I loved the umpires call when he got a free kick today. "Ramp , your kick" Not sure if thats what the players call him or if the umpire didnt know his christian name!
    Bolton - Ouch! Three dropped marks inside 50 and they were all gimmees. Please say it aint so. Father time? I say no, Bolts has plenty of brownie points.
    McGlynn - I like his pressure and vigour at the contest but his finish lacks polish. This could really hurt us in finals. Dilemma....McGlynn vs Mitchell/Lamb and both Mitchell and Lamb are both superior users of the ball.

ROK? You missed him, or should I say he was missed for the whole game.

McGlynn is essential. ROK gets caught holding the ball nearly every game, needs coaching there. White must play finals at the expense of Reid, let Reid beef up a little and come back next year. LRT would be a huge bonus for the finals, Lamb & Rohan are not ready yet, next year they will be, Mitchell would be a nice addition on the bench. Not sure if Jetta can reach his peak quick enough, Goodes will always be in the best 22.

I think we should resign ourselves to the fact that our finals team is pretty much what we had out on the field yesterday, plus Mitchell, and BJ in the vest if needed. So that's picking the best 22 from a list of 24.

We always have a few players that are blunder prone, Dre and Benny are often on that list, but both got plenty of the ball and contributed a lot. On the positive side, Reg and Rhyce, frequently among the clanger brigade, had very sharp games. I'm particularly pleased that Reg has had a couple of solid games after a less than memorable period (for which I was quite critical).

ROK and Dal Santo played each other to a standstill I thought, so not too worried that ROK didn't have much influence on the game. Hanners, on the other hand, has not handled the tag very well and we need to find a way to get him more involved. Maybe we should give him a tagging role next week on someone like Motlop.

Not too worried about Jude dropping a few marks. It happens.

Warming the Bench
    I really liked Teds game. Last week against Cloke too he was amazing.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    The NORMIE is always in the absolute thick of it, so he's going to be pinged HTB now n again.
    Forget some of the freshmen not being ready, Reid, Jetta and LRT will struggle to pick up the intensity big time , and Goodes may be Blunder prone as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Panttz View Post
    Agree, he hasn't been in AA form this year, like he was last year, but things are suddenly looking good for him.
    2 great games in a row against very tough marking opponents.

On the Rookie List
    Hard to see Jesse and Dre having to make way for anybody in the finals.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Quote Originally Posted by Panttz View Post
    His level of effort and vision is inspiring. There was one point in the third quarter when the Saints had a free man on the open side for a kick in. Ted saw the danger and sprinted the length of the field to cover him,cutting the movement off before it started.

Rampe has go-go-gadget arms. There's no other explanation for the spoils he is able to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSouth33 View Post
    Hard to see Jesse and Dre having to make way for anybody in the finals.
    I think Jesse answered any lingering questions in the White v Reid debate on Sunday. That said, there's a big fortnight coming up which will tell Horse a lot about how some of the ring-ins / newbies will handle finals footy.

My only observation was the pathetic crowd figure of 23,000. Premiership defence, chance to lock in top 4.

Do Swans fans hate the SCG as well ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast