Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do we beat the Cats this wknd ??

I don't think it's of utmost importance to win. As long as they have a game plan and try to execute that then that will be most important. The boys know they can win anywhere in September and I doubt they will be busting a gut this weekend. It will be no different from last years run into the finals.

Timing is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I don't think it's of utmost importance to win. As long as they have a game plan and try to execute that then that will be most important. The boys know they can win anywhere in September and I doubt they will be busting a gut this weekend. It will be no different from last years run into the finals.

Timing is everything.
    Yep, spot on.

We need midfield intensity back to Richmond /Adelaide levels. Everything else flows from that. Lets hope the lads are well-rested and pumped for a big game! Excited already!

I'd play the reserves down in Geelong. Be good for the rookies to get a taste of AFL.

Organise a "friendly" with the Giants for the Seniors here in Sydney.

yes agree, not really important to win this at all, just play hard footy.just a sneaky stat ,the team that has lost this round 22 encounter in the past two seasons has gone on to win the flag..

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Organise a "friendly" with the Giants for the Seniors here in Sydney.
    ..played out at ANZ of course
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veterans List
    Man up - and don't pass the ball to them, a la Pies and Saints?

On a serious note, I'd be happy to rest anybody who genuinely will benefit from the rest (eg Mitchell last week), but there are still too many scenarios to play out that mean we would benefit greatly from beating Geelong this week to just rest players for the sake of it.

Whilst unlikely, Norf are not completely without hope v the Hawks at the indoor dome and if Port take the same game to Pattersons that they played against us they are quite capable of beating a Sandilands and Ballantyne-less Dockers.

If both happen, a win over Geelong opens up top spot and if just one happens, it opens up second spot.

In a macabre way, I would find it amusing if the Hawks lose their last two and Geelong lose to us with Freo winning both. That would setup Freo and Sydney as 1-2. Imagine the rumblings if they win both qualifying finals and the reality hits home that there will be no PF in Melbourne.

Of course my amusement would be short lived if their was some contractual arrangement which meant we had to forfeit a home PF to play in Melbourne, but I'm pretty sure that was changed after Brisbane were forced to play a home PF in Melb in 2004(?).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    On a serious note, I'd be happy to rest anybody who genuinely will benefit from the rest (eg Mitchell last week), but there are still too many scenarios to play out that mean we would benefit greatly from beating Geelong this week to just rest players for the sake of it.

Whilst unlikely, Norf are not completely without hope v the Hawks at the indoor dome and if Port take the same game to Pattersons that they played against us they are quite capable of beating a Sandilands and Ballantyne-less Dockers.

If both happen, a win over Geelong opens up top spot and if just one happens, it opens up second spot.

In a macabre way, I would find it amusing if the Hawks lose their last two and Geelong lose to us with Freo winning both. That would setup Freo and Sydney as 1-2. Imagine the rumblings if they win both qualifying finals and the reality hits home that there will be no PF in Melbourne.

Of course my amusement would be short lived if their was some contractual arrangement which meant we had to forfeit a home PF to play in Melbourne, but I'm pretty sure that was changed after Brisbane were forced to play a home PF in Melb in 2004(?).
    Yes, it would be hilarious reading the unbiased Melbourne media about the lack of footy in Melbourne in the penultimate week of the season.
    Could still happen, regardless of your ramblings above, as long as Freo and Sydney avoid each other in the 1st round of finals.

Still sillier things have happened.

You would hope that the contractual arrangements have been sorted out, but this is the AFL!!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yep it was changed

The AFL and the MCC reworked their deal soon after but, as Matthews notes, "it was a year too late for the Lions".

Read more: Matthews still 'feels sick' over 2004 preliminary final

I've tweeted Patrick Keane of the AFL asking the question. I'll post the answer if it's forthcoming...

Definitely sorted. They use some kind of banking or credit arrangement now, so that if the MCG hosts two finals games in a weekend, it has accrued one bonus game which can be withdrawn if there are two games outside Victoria. Of course, the run of non-Victorian clubs all making finals ended soon after this anyway. 2006 was the last time it was a genuine "problem" IIRC, with the top 4 all being from outside Victoria (Sydney, WCE, Adelaide, Freo).
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast