Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do we beat the Cats this wknd ??

On the Rookie List
    How do we beat the Cats? That depends on how good Stewie Dew and Stewie Maxfield are with baseball bats in the Cats' dressing room.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Yep it was changed
    I always though the Lions were screwed there, they deserved the home final- ridiculous, Melbourne centric approach taken by the AFL.

Opti-pessi-misti
    On a very serious note ..... who do we beat the Cats with!

As I see it, we have 18 who are pretty much assured of places. Then we have White, Everitt, Lamb, Mitchell and Morton (he has been declared ready for selection this weekend) and Rohan. Six players and 4 spots available! Which 2 are going to miss out? I would say definitely White and Rohan in, possibly Everitt too. I want Lamb to stay in but how can you leave Mitchell out this week too, and it would be good for Morton, the forgotten one, to get a game. I am so thankful that I am not a selector!!!!

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Good one

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    Reduce the long bombs into our forward line or else we'll play right into the hands of Taylor, Mackie, Bartel & Enright. Bartel and Enright are not as good defending on forwards who lead up quickly so we need to mix it up more than we have in recent weeks. A card up the sleeve I'd leave until finals but something like sending Kennedy forward more I think would disrupt them. If he wasnt such a great mid I'm sure he'd make a pretty good forward....he can mark, kick and has nous around goals. Another card come finals would be to send Smith to either Selwood or Johnson. I rate Smith highly and I'm confident he good do the job on either player and win possessions as well (think back to a Hawthorn game in Tassie).I think Geelong's most important players are Taylor, Selwood and Motlop. Motlop may not play due to a hammy ..if he does I'd put Shaw on him. Whoever our forward is that is picked up by Taylor should take him towards the pocket/half forward and lead back strongle towards the square. Like most good backmen who can take a grab or spoil I don't believe Taylor is as good running back towards the goals.
    Excellent analysis of the way to beat Geelong. They prey on the fact that 90% of the time the opposition bomb the ball into the forward line and that's were they get most of their drive from. Even though Tippett is very good he will not be able to handle Harry Taylor plus Enright or another Geelong player coming over the top in marking contests. The Swans need to be much smarter with their forward entries. Benny Mcglynn becomes a very important player against Geelong.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    On a very serious note ..... who do we beat the Cats with!

As I see it, we have 18 who are pretty much assured of places. Then we have White, Everitt, Lamb, Mitchell and Morton (he has been declared ready for selection this weekend) and Rohan. Six players and 4 spots available! Which 2 are going to miss out? I would say definitely White and Rohan in, possibly Everitt too. I want Lamb to stay in but how can you leave Mitchell out this week too, and it would be good for Morton, the forgotten one, to get a game. I am so thankful that I am not a selector!!!!
    Sadly, I don't think Morton will get another run and I think Lamb will go for Mitchell as great as I think they are.

White is cementing himself in the team further every week. His defensive work, marking, work around the ground and imposing presence are excellent. Seems to have a great partnership going with Tippett as well. Don't know if he'll be ensconced deep enough to hold off Goodes though!

Everitt is needed for height down back and ability to swing forward. I think he's safe for now, at least until Reid comes back. Even then, I doubt Horse will toy with a working and settled back 6.

Next week will be even harder if tonight's injury update was anything to go by. Who would you drop for Jetta if he goes well this weekend? Is it Rohan v Jetta or do we play two speedsters? I suspect one of these two will probably be the sub for every game from now. However, I hope Rohan gets a full game this week so he gets a real chance to show what he can do. And where does Reid fit in?

Some very good players are going to lose their spots or miss out in the coming weeks. We will certainly have the most imposing emergencies in the AFL!

On the Rookie List
    Why is Simmonds Stadium so difficult to win at? Shallow pockets? Winds? Hostile crowd? Seems they historically have a ridiculous home ground advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    Why is Simmonds Stadium so difficult to win at? Shallow pockets? Winds? Hostile crowd? Seems they historically have a ridiculous home ground advantage.
    All of the above. After the recent decline at home by West Coast and Adelaide, Geelong arguably have last claim in the AFL on the word "fortress".

We did, however, beat them there a couple of years ago.

The simple answer to the question posed in this thread title is that we have to score more points than them. Therein lies the key for mine. Restrict their scoring opportunities and rely on our good average in season long scoreboard pressure. We are probably going to score at least 80-85 points which means that restricting them to 12 goals should see us over the line.

Some hard tagging and 2005-style contested footy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    Their home ground advantage, 40 wins out of the last 41 games played, is probably inflated by the fact that teams like Ess, Coll, Carl, Haw, rich don't play down there. More often than not games down there in recent years have been against interstate teams (travel factor) or hopelessly undermanned Vic teams (Melbourne )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    We are probably going to score at least 80-85 points which means that restricting them to 12 goals should see us over the line.
    On that basis our season average points against of 74.5 should get us home.

Senior Player
    Spot on , Doc J. Fewer tickets available for away fans at KP,too. I cannot go this week , but in the past it has been fun to be amongst "hostile" fans.

Geelong deservedly start favourites , but there is no reason for us to fear them.

Here's an idea - get Benny to tag Selwood. So if you don't enjoy the football game , you can enjoy the "fireworks display".

The fascinating thing on the McGlynn match up on Selwood is whether our little man can lower the usual number of head high free kicks Selwood gets awarded each week.

Didn't Mcglynn play on Selwood, and beat him , last time we knocked them off down there ?

I think we need to try and lock down on a number of their players..

McGlynn to Selwood (bash and crash all day)
    Shaw to Stevie J (Run off him)
    McVeigh to Christinsen..sp? (Hurt him the other way)
    Smith to Motlop (smother him)
    Bird to ummmm....someone ( maybe to one of their halfbacks...Enright perhaps)

Any,way I think we have plenty of run-with type players to man them up effectively....

Then all we have to do is score more goals than them ...Easy......not.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast