Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do we beat the Cats this wknd ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do we beat the Cats this wknd ??

The Cats obviously play a game style in attack that is a little different to ours....and in my opinion they are a class above in their spread of dexterous talent across the 22 players in the line up.

When you hear on the wknd that their best on ground were - J Selwood, Christensen, Mackie, Stokes, Bartel, Motlop, S Johnson

and if you compare to our best on ground against the saints being - Kennedy, McVeigh, Parker, Shaw, Tippett, Mumford then it is a very different style of player a different level of dexterity and flare.

Motlop, Stokes, Johnson and Christensen !

These guys are creators of play - they are very very difficult to contain and make you pay if you let them break 2m in front of you.

To me it appears that the Cats float between two distinct styles of counter attack.........they do like to chip around a little more for then us looking for the straight runner or overlap from one of their fast creative players as above to run and carry. The Cats in my opinion can do this better then we can and they are equal to any team in the comp when attacking in this manor. Equally the Cats and the Hawks have very very good long kicking backs..........They can transition play to a mark downfield better then any other teams in the comp. Cats - Hunt, Mackie, Taylor, Bartel, Enright etc or the Hawks with Guerra, Hodge, Mitchell and others who are injured right now that can smash a ball 2m off the ground 50m plus on your chest. That is a wicked counter attack and very difficult to defend against.

We tend to work the lines when stuck in our defensive 50m or corners of our defensive arc and simply shift our midfield down forward to a contested mark or spoil.....that is unless we use our slingshot which is only a very small % of our attacking game...........

Geelong in these same possies on the field will look to shift wider and open up runners from their backline to run and carry

So two styles that tend to dominate the build up of our attacks. Geelong can certainly loose clearances every other week yet smash teams by 50points !

So HOW DO WE WIN ?

Well one thing I know is that we wont change our gameplan much at all

So can we contain and force errors amongst so many skillful players over 4 qtrs.......can we hold field position upfield against such a good backline as the Cats?

I believe we can - The 2nd against the Hawks in the GF can be replicated and we can dominate contested and uncontested football and we can under too much pressure sit in our 50m and absorb the pressure and then slingshot

In summary we will have to be able to handle both 50m arcs better then the Cats cause we cant play the game in the middle of the field against teams like the Cats nor Hawks.......we have to be the masters of pressure offensively in our 50m arc and defensively in our 50m arc !

Then we can win.............. if we convert

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

We have the two cat killers playing next week, Rohan and Everitt..

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Kick more points than them! Thank you I will be here til Tuesday

For me three main things
    1. Get out of their forward press. For long periods on the weekend the Eagles could not and did not look look escaping the clamp that was the Cats' forward pressure. They will zero in on Malceski and McVeigh our two best ball users coming out of the back half and try and force the ball to less prolific users like a Grundy. This is where the run of Shaw might be a handy ace up the sleeve
    2. Stop the in-form duo of Selwood and Johnson. Selwood in particular is playing at the absolute peak of his abilities in the past month and we are more than well aware of his influence on a game given his heroics against us earlier in the year. We'll probably sit ROK on him. SJ we might try Jack in order to try and hurt them going the other way although they themselves might try to tag Kizza given the relative success tatters have had on him in the past few weeks
    3. Stop Taylor going forward. With the return of Rivers they more than have the defensive height to handle our three talls which allows them to play the Taylor wildcard. I think the key player here is White and whether he can win his matchup with his defender which is likely to be Mackie. If he does so it will force Taylor back

Oh and also 4. Stop their small forward running types in Motlop Stokes Christensen Smedts

Ugg,

When you put it that way it sounds simple, but unfortunately it is not.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Ugg,

Nothing worth having comes easy, but anything is possible!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    Nothing worth having comes easy, but anything is possible!
    That comment reminded me of Manny swallowing the Little Book of Calm in Black Books!

I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Kick more points than them! Thank you I will be here til Tuesday

For me three main things
    1. Get out of their forward press. For long periods on the weekend the Eagles could not and did not look look escaping the clamp that was the Cats' forward pressure. They will zero in on Malceski and McVeigh our two best ball users coming out of the back half and try and force the ball to less prolific users like a Grundy. This is where the run of Shaw might be a handy ace up the sleeve
    2. Stop the in-form duo of Selwood and Johnson. Selwood in particular is playing at the absolute peak of his abilities in the past month and we are more than well aware of his influence on a game given his heroics against us earlier in the year. We'll probably sit ROK on him. SJ we might try Jack in order to try and hurt them going the other way although they themselves might try to tag Kizza given the relative success tatters have had on him in the past few weeks
    3. Stop Taylor going forward. With the return of Rivers they more than have the defensive height to handle our three talls which allows them to play the Taylor wildcard. I think the key player here is White and whether he can win his matchup with his defender which is likely to be Mackie. If he does so it will force Taylor back

Oh and also 4. Stop their small forward running types in Motlop Stokes Christensen Smedts
    Good points Ugg and I think the most important is to get Harry back into Defence. Our defence looks very short if they play Harry fwd, I think we would struggle to contain there talls as most of the contests would become one on ones due to the quality of their Fwds and Mids. I think our current defence will become our Achilles throughout this finals series, most teams will rotate 3 talls to test us. Hawthorn and Geelong have the quality tall fwds that could really hurt us.

Cheers

waz

Veterans List
    Shaw running the ball out of defence as he did yesterday will be a big change back to last year's successful style. He has been missed.

Um, hitting targets and holding marks (Jude!) would help, too. The Pies and Saints did too well in intercepting our trademark series of handpasses.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Ugg,

Neither is winning a premiership but we managed that last year.

The next two games will get us nice and battle-hardened and ready for the finals if nothing else.

Exactly Jono - even if we lose both of them. The main thing I want to see is that we have fixed some of the flaws that the Hawks and geelong both showed earlier in the year. Against geelong, I want to see that we've worked out a way to counter their focus against us of getting the ball forward at all costs (hence exposing our one speed midfield by breaking up the play). We need to find a way to play the game more on our terms, and the rest will sort itself out in time.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

The same way we win any big game.

Enormous tackling pressure - the side who chases and tackles the most will win. Geelong often lose the clearances but regain possession through their defensive pressure. We need to apply our own to force errors.

Hard work on the iInside - Geelong are just as good as us at this. Need to at least break even.

Endurance running by midfielders - when we win it's because we run and spread. Port and Collingwood figured out to put Hannebery and Jack on a leash.

Long before Leading Teams there was Manny.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast