Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LRT in 2005 GF

One think I think we continually forget is that the 2005 grannie was 8 years ago. That means LRT was only 21 or so. Still very young, and very unsure of himself. He played an unexpected blinder in the first quarter that rattled the Eagles at the time. He looked confident which in itself was different, and he made a difference.

Monty and Fossy were also fantastic. Monty edged us ahead with the last Swanny goal, and Leo had all the glory. We won. Actually they won. The whole team made the difference, not just one player. And that is why Judd got the medal. the voters had no idea who really stood out in the Swans team because they all contributed.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I believe Ross Glendenning was involved in the Norm Smith voting for that match, in fact he probably took over and selected the Norm Smith himself.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    On Judd, he seriously had 6 or 7 kicks which just dribbled along the ground. How any stats could suggest he only had 3 clangers is fanciful. That was the whole premise of my Norm Smith outrage. It was clear the judges had just looked at the stats and with the medias love affair with all things Judd at the time deduced he was BOG.

I guess the fact that I believe the judges have to give their votes before the end of the game doesn't help. In a close game that is just ridiculous. If WCE had won that game, I'd have had no issue with Judd's NS as when it's all said and done, he would have been instrumental in winning the flag.

In a strange twist, if the same criteria was used in '06, maybe Kirky should have won the NS. He was absolutely mighty and along with Teddy was about the only players who could hold their heads high at the end of the game. A game decided by a single point!!! Embley was one of the best in a pretty even team performance for them, but hardly a stand out.

Disclaimer: All comments on the '06 GF are formed from a singular live viewing and without the benefit of a replay...and there is not likely to be a second viewing in the forseeable future...
    I thought Embley was a fair winner in 06.

Judd in 05 still stinks. Ball up in defensive 50, he breaks through the pack, beats a diving Buchanan, and then shanks the kick dribbling it over the boundary. No damage done. His contribution was mainly 1st half where they trailed by 20 points...to win on the losing side should be an absolute clear cut BOG. That is how I remember Buckley in 02. Only 4 players have ever won on the losing side...4!!
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post

Judd in 05 still stinks. Ball up in defensive 50, he breaks through the pack, beats a diving Buchanan, and then shanks the kick dribbling it over the boundary. No damage done. His contribution was mainly 1st half where they trailed by 20 points...to win on the losing side should be an absolute clear cut BOG. That is how I remember Buckley in 02. Only 4 players have ever won on the losing side...4!!
    No point putting a hood ornament on a Cortina.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post

Yep completely agree except I didn't think Buckley was a standout in 02, though I was never a fan so my opinion is tainted.
    I have heard Buckley and Judd both asked about winning the NSM in a losing side and both said it meant nothing to them. I think they should pick the best player from each side and give it to the one from the winning team unless there is one amazing performance that cannot be overlooked alah Gaz snr in 1989.

Re LRT in 2005 - one moment I love watching the footage of the last 30 seconds, after THAT mark, LRT was one of the pack of players who had flown for the ball. As he struggled to his feet, ungainly arms and legs flailing, the dazed 'what happened?' look on his face seconds before the siren went, is classic!

Judd had 29 disposals fro 2 effective kicks! One was an up an under to a man more than 20 metres in the clear on the HFF.....and the other was a really bad kick to a player on the lead....ball eventually got to him on the bounce. Judd got a ridiculous amount of clearances but only a handfull were made good use of (usually by dishing out the back to Wirrapanda). Appalling choice for NS. Buchanan was BOG by a country mile. I can't recall a single thing Fosdike did. Not one. I can think of at least 5 great moments from Buchanan. Remember that we won by a kick. Without question the player most missed if you removed one would be Buchanan.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

I agree on Embley in 06 but my recollection was that Fosdike was excellent all game and was my call at the time to win (FWIW). Good points about Buchanan though.

Judd shouldn't have won but he did and that's that. I'm sure we'd rather have the Flag than the Norm Smith but it does annoy me somewhat that a Swan didn't win one. ROK winning last year was a nice bit of redemption.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

It's a nice footnote of our 'team first' ethos that in a winning GF side no one got the Norm Smith.

On the other hand; *&*& Chris Judd
    -

On the wing
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    I have always thought Amon deserved the Medal - was the man for all the big moments. Now i may be slightly biased as i had $20 on him @ $71.

Judd was inspirational anyone who thinks he wasn't one of the best 3 players on the ground is delusional.

Fosdike
    Amon
    Judd
    Cox

any deserved to win
    Some of these posts are way too conciliatory. The award to Judd was an outrage. Unfortunately at that time the media were still head over heels in love with him. The channel ten commentators, the irritating Stephen Quartrmain in particular, were masturbating themselves every time he touched it . "Judd's on fiire" wanks on Quartermain in the first quarter "How many touches has he had' . ""Nine" says someone. A few seconds later a very understated " LRT has had 9 possessions for the Swans".
    At another point in time Quartermain gives him credit for a "clearance" when he gets a free kick from a boundary throw in! Just BS.

Someone has said it elsewhere whereas Judd had plenty of touches they were largely ineffective. Jared Crouch dispossesed him late, out-ran him, in the first quarter to give the swans the lead late. the Swans led at every break of the GF. Judd was exceptionally quiet for a long period when Crouch was on him but Crouch got little credit. Crouch hurt his ankle which helped Judd back in the game.
    Fosdike was Swans best possession getter and did many good things. He had more touches than Buchanan. But Buchanan did two brilliant things in the last quarter including a desperate tackle (I think on Judd from memory) and of course the winning goal.

The NS should have gone to Fosdike, Buchanan, LRT and Judd in that order. Someone suggested Cox was the Eagles' best. I shall have to r-watch the game.
    Even Paul Roos after the game said it was dissapointing that the NS did not go to a player on the winning team.

But umpires and judges get it wrong. In fact I think they mistook or thought that Hanneberry was O'keefe (they both have blond hair) in the 2012 GF. Got them mixed up. O'keefe got the NS but it was probably meant to be Hanners.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123