Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jetta & Rohan

On the Rookie List

Jetta & Rohan

If Jetta has successfully overcome his injuries for the Hawks match, would we play both Jetta and Rohan together for the finals? And if so, who would get dropped?

My view on the first part is yes - having them both in the same team would be the ultimate weapon. I'm not too sure about who gets dropped, but probably Lamb, which is super harsh on the guy. Better option might be Bolton - but would we lose too much experience? And is Bolton one of the 'untouchables'?

Is the talent of Jetta and Rohan, and what they bring to a flag defence, enough to oust fitter offensive albeit young players?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    If Jetta is successfully over his injuries for the Hawks match, would we play both Jetta and Rohan together for the finals? And if so, who would get dropped?

My view on the first part is yes - having them both in the same team would be the ultimate weapon. I'm not too sure about who gets dropped, but probably Lamb, which is super harsh on the guy. Better option might be Bolton - but would we lose too much experience? And is Bolton one of the 'untouchables'?

Is the talent of Jetta and Rohan, and what they bring to a flag defence, enough to oust fitter offensive albeit young players?
    Cannot drop Bolton would not even think off it, too experienced (esp in finals), too smart, too versatile & too good. Jetta v Rohan = if Rohan can get some form in next 2 weeks and is physically OK he gets the nod due to greater physical & defensive skills and can play a lock down roll if required. Jetta at this stage is a one trick pony but it is a very good trick (ie speed & slingshot footy) but Rohan also has that trick. Jetta's only chance is as the sub at best at this stage

Goes up to 11
    When Gazza was on the field on Sunday the team was set up for the slingshot sort of play a few times - giving Gazza a lot of space on the fat side of the field in order to use his pace in the open. It didn't really come off on Sunday but I can see more of these setups for the next 2 weeks to get us ready for more slingshotting in the finals. That to me would say we expect to play at least one of Gazza or Jetts or even both in finals....

I suspect that we'll end up with one starting, one sub, unless they're both on fire. In reality, that's too much to ask for

I don't think Lamb will survive Mitchell returning. No idea who else you would drop. They should be carrying the ball at speed through the midfield though, not waiting for it up forward.

Senior Player
    Jetts could well be a brilliant finals super-sub. Just need to ensure Rohan gets enough run into his legs so he doesn't get stuck with the vest for the rest of the season.

the ambivalence towards jetta that seems to exist on this website and big footy constantly amazes me. he is far from a one trick pony. Sure he isnt an inside midfielder but just how many of those do you need ? He has a long straight kick, an ability to deliver the ball in space and an ability to kick long goals. Have a look at the essendon game from this year and last year - he kicked goals in the wet and in the dry fast track at etihad. Plus every time he plays he draws defenders away from the congestion which gives the rok jpk types more opportunities. if maxwell is covering him you know that he cant sag across to go third man up - he has to stay goal side. and thats the case for almost every player in the league. and if he is out there it means that the running defender finds it harder to run with hanners.

rohan does the same thing but is a taller more athletic version - so he can also take marks in a forward line and play as a genuine hff rather than a winger.

i dont know whether he is going to make it for september 2013 and it will be disappointing if he doesnt but the reluctance to recognise just how important he was for us last year and early this year surprises me.

Veterans List
    Frankly I dont think either of them will be ready for finals action. Both have been off the field for so long it is hard to see them making an impact in finals. Clubs that play underdone players in finals invariably fail. Rohan can hardly be expected to play at his top regardless of how fit he might say he is or look.

Veterans List
    The only walk-in I'd say is Goodes and how often have we seen him take a few games to hit form again? Jetta is an impact player but after so long off field? He also has been pretty quiet this year, when on field, so it's asking a lot for him to come in and play, probably Hawks,Hawks, Freo and Cats in finals atmosphere is a HUGE ask.

On the other hand, Rohan has played finals and was rusty but okay. A couple of kinda-nice-to-win games might set him up for finals. He knows Skilled well so might get a longer run there, expecting to be subbed off?

The other questions are: what injuries are we carrying? Hanners should looks sore and Macca was way off last week, and Tippett is a bit of a concern. It may come down to Rohan and/or Jetta for Cunningham or B Jack.

Regular in the Side
    Paul Roos said this week On the Coach that Jetta represents an important inclusion in a Swans team. He agreed when put to him by Mike Sheahan about the importance of Adam Goodes, but didn't mention either Sam Reid or LRT.

On the Rookie List
    I think it needs to be looked at from a 'sum of the whole' perspective rather than 'individual parts'. I think Jetta and Rohan could fulfil their roles as two parts of a machine that is very solid, but would be better with them in linking things together and troubling opposition match-ups. They can do this without being in AA form.

Veterans List
    IMO thoughts of Reid and Jetta returning to the seniors is lunacy given that both have missed a heap of games and neither was in great form prior to being injured.

Having watched replays of the past few games in the past couple of days (whilst the wife has been interstate :-), Jesse has performed to a really high standard and had real impact for us. Absolutely no way should thoughts of Reid getting a game in front of Jesse be entertained.

Now that Rohan is playing again, if he continues to feel good after games, he should be preferred to Jetta. Just as much pace but puts on tremendous pressure, tackles hard and takes a good grab, far more versatile. How tall is Rohan, listed as 188cm but looks a lot taller than that.

So think we go with who is in the team now and only use Reid and Jetta as replacements in case of injuries. Goodes now appears unlikely to appear before the finals so green vest only for him but not sure who goes out?

Sorry but whilst i agree that Gary has alot of potential i think alot of people are getting too emotional about his return and the feel good story. You have to keep in mind that he has played less than 25 senior games in his whole career and he is coming back from a very serious injury and takes alot of game time to get your touch and sharpness back from such a long lay off. Jetta was our leading goal kicker last year and after a slow start to the season was coming back into some form, yes he has had a lengthy layoff as well but not the same as Garys. Jetta comes into the team imo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast