Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jude Bolton to announce retirement this Monday

Could someone please upload? I have been attempting to get it but am about to go spare. Nothing, just a blank. Taa
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Absolute Swans legend! What a magnificent player Jude's been for us!

I'll always remember him at Melbourne Swans family days, smiling and chatting with kids and adults alike as if we were old friends. No pretence, no ego - just a great bloke who epitomises the Bloods culture.

Thanks Jude! Enjoy your place in that extremely elite club - Swans who've played 300 games AND played in two Premierships!

Great career and some amazing performances. Thanks Jude!

Goes up to 11
    Thanks Jude. Always played like Tarzan, looked like Jane (well sorta).....

Total gun. Heart and soul of the club for a long time.

Jude the Great

I am bemused by the number of commentators that begin their analysis of Jude's career with something like 'he may not have been the greatest footballer going around, but..........'. Even on RWO there have been many comments over the years about how slow Jude is. But I never saw him as a slow player. To me, he always seemed to move smoothly around the ground. He impressed me with his overall athleticism. He's a first class overhead mark, and a good decision maker. I think so of the remarks about him being slow were due to the fact that he really doesn't have any notable weaknesses in his game, and that was the best some people could come up with.

Now add to that the fact that Jude Bolton is the single game and all time record holder in one of the most important stats of the game (tackles), and perhaps the key indicator for the Swans, you have to think this may be a very special player (the Tony Lockett of tackling). Despite being one of the hardest players to ever have played the game, to my recollection, he has never been suspended, nor do I believe he has ever been charged by the MRP (not checked). He has played 321 games (presently ranked 30th of all-time) over 15 seasons, and has hardly missed a beat.

So we are talking about one of the hardest, fairest, resilient, likable and consistent players to have played the game.

Understated and first class in every respect, Jude Bolton would be near the top of my list of the greatest career football players, EVER!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations Jude. Hope to see you around the club for many years to come.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think Jude is on 360 on FoxFooty tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember when we drafted Jude with the No 8 overall pick in the 1998 national draft outsiders were scathing of the Swans for not taking a NSW/ACT Rams player.Mark McVeigh was taken at No 9 by Essendon and Lenny Hayes No 11 by St Kilda. For years, and even to this day, I can remember commentaters saying "how did the Swans overlook Lenny Hayes?" Well we picked up a player called Jude Bolton! A dual premership player and second highest games EVER by a Swan. Whilst I'm a huge admirer of Lenny I know whose career I'd prefer!

Glutton for punishment BigBarryRound25's Avatar
    Excellent post - completely agree

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    I think Jude is on 360 on FoxFooty tonight
    Was he still on, or did the Essendon saga take up all of their time?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I am bemused by the number of commentators that begin their analysis of Jude's career with something like 'he may not have been the greatest footballer going around, but..........'. Even on RWO there have been many comments over the years about how slow Jude is. But I never saw him as a slow player. To me, he always seemed to move smoothly around the ground. He impressed me with his overall athleticism. He's a first class overhead mark, and a good decision maker. I think so of the remarks about him being slow were due to the fact that he really doesn't have any notable weaknesses in his game, and that was the best some people could come up with.

Now add to that the fact that Jude Bolton is the single game and all time record holder in one of the most important stats of the game (tackles), and perhaps the key indicator for the Swans, you have to think this may be a very special player (the Tony Lockett of tackling). Despite being one of the hardest players to ever have played the game, to my recollection, he has never been suspended, nor do I believe he has ever been charged by the MRP (not checked). He has played 321 games (presently ranked 30th of all-time) over 15 seasons, and has hardly missed a beat.

So we are talking about one of the hardest, fairest, resilient, likable and consistent players to have played the game.

Understated and first class in every respect, Jude Bolton would be near the top of my list of the greatest career football players, EVER!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations Jude. Hope to see you around the club for many years to come.
    I think they're saying that in the context of being a 300 game player - where they say 2 time brownlow medalist, 6 time best and fairest, 4 time AA, 3 League MVP awards, 2 time Norm Smith Medalist, leading goal kicker etc.

Jude's best "stat" like this is finished top 10 in the B&F 7 or 9 years in a row???

And people tend to forget at the end of peoples careers how much of a beast they were in their prime. And he was a BEAST! Key part of the 2005 premiership and champion of the club.

Congrats on a GREAT career.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Well done to Jude on a great career. The bravest, most determined, positive player ever to don the guernsey. What more can I say, enjoy your retirement Jude and I hope the body now gets time to recover.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast