Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Qualifying final V The Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Our opponents are playing on Sunday, so it will be the Saturday.
    beauty, thanks.

Regular in the Side
    If we lose next week my mate's 40th birthday wil clash with the game. This is not a dilemma I want to have deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If we lose next week my mate's 40th birthday wil clash with the game. This is not a dilemma I want to have deal with.
    I'm sure your mate will understand.
    Swannies for life!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    I'm sure your mate will understand.
    Don't know if he will - he's worse than the worst naggy, sentimental, separation anxiety riddled, jealous husband/wife.

Another reason to win Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Don't know if he will - he's worse than the worst naggy, sentimental, separation anxiety riddled, jealous husband/wife.

Another reason to win Friday night.
    Haha...yes a win and the problem is solved and everyone is happy!!
    Swannies for life!

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    This doesn't affect us and, for reasons others have given, wouldn't apply to us, but I think it is really rough on Freo. Apart from the travel issues others have mentioned there is the huge advantage for Geelong in playing on their own odd-shaped ground in a dinky little stadium where it is almost impossible to fit in anybody besides the home crowd. It should have been at Etihad and it is disingenuous to say that Freo have few followers in Melbourne, as if there was hardly anyone else who'd want to watch the game.
    All very well for the locals from Frog Hollow to say they've earned it; Freo has earned a bit of consideration too. I hope they hand out a pasting.
    Logistically the AFL admitted that there could only be 3 games at the MCG so the only alternative ground for the 4th game was Etihad Stadium...until Simonds bacame a possibility during the week. The conspiracy theories have been running rampant in Melbourne including the AFL's poor relationship with Etihad management (Eitihad management have been unusally quiet since the announcement so I'm suggesting the payout by the AFL to them in compensation included a confidence clause). The other theory has Andrew Demetriou delivering a final to the Geelong area to help the local Labor member with holding his seat for the upcoming federal election on game day. The State Labor Party at the time was one of the main drivers to put money into the Geelong ground...oh, the former premier happens to be a huge Geelong member.

...and I also think Freo and their supporters have been harshly treated (including those Cat and other AFL team supporters who wont be able to gain entry. I rate Freo and tipped them for the flag some weeks ago, and I still think they will, so I was going to go and watch them play this weekend at the MCG or Etihad....not going now.

Finally, the AFL has to put finals rules in for who plays where even before the season starts. The insistance of a Collingwood (Eddie & Co)to say that we're not moving from the MCG is pathetic. If they are the 4th melb team for a home final in ladder order then they should get the 4th game ground (probably Etihad). It makes me sick when I hear Eddie and Andrew talk about making the AFL comp more equal when they manipulate the rules (in this case the draw) to keep the power clubs happy. And wasn't it Eddie and Andrew who were included in the trip to the USA to investigate a fairer way for all going forward. Give me a break! Its been a bad year for both Eddie and Andy D.
    I hope Freo beat the Cats so I can see those stunned Cat supporters faces on TV in the last quarter. k

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=
    I hope Freo beat the Cats so I can see those stunned Cat supporters faces on TV in the last quarter. k[/QUOTE]

Only problem with that is if we lose Friday night but win week 2 we are off to Freo for a pre-lim a d I would not like that one bit.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    Only problem with that is if we lose Friday night but win week 2 we are off to Freo for a pre-lim a d I would not like that one bit.
    True

Looking at the stats for finalists since 1996:

* The last team to reach a grand final from fourth was.... us in 2006!
    * Every grand final since has been played between 1st and 2nd.
    * We were also the last team to win the flag after finishing below first or second (2005 for those who've forgotten).
    * The Crows are the only team to win it from 4th (in 1997). In '98 they won from 5th.

The trend seems to be it is getting harder for anyone but the top 2 to make the GF, let alone win it.

From 1996-2005, Essendon and Port were the only minor premiers to go on to win the flag. In the seven seasons from 2006-2012, minor premiers won three times, runners-up four times.

We've done all right at subi oval before.

- - - Updated - - -

I could have sworn we played the Q>final last year in Adelaide. doesn't that mean we were 3rd or 4th.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    We've done all right at subi oval before.

- - - Updated - - -

I could have sworn we played the Q>final last year in Adelaide. doesn't that mean we were 3rd or 4th.
    Yep, we finished 3rd after the H&A. But first by the end!

Only one significant change:

In: K. Tippet
    Out: B. Franklin

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast