Thread: Jason Dunstall on AFL Insider

Jason Dunstall on AFL Insider

Jason Dunstall pointed out our ruck combination were doing something that the umpires might look out for this Friday night. He normally does not comment on anything Hawthorn, unlike Eddie everywhere, and one of the other panel members commented something along the lines of 'why bring it up this week Jas'. We at the Swans need a 'spokesperson' on some of these shows as well. This post is a little 'tongue in cheek' but it certainly would help.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Yvonne, what in particular did he mention? It wasn't having two rucks at stoppages in the F50 when one is resting down there was it?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Stellation,
    I think that was it. Something along the lines of didn't know which was the ruckman. Another panelist said they had to nominate which one (which we all know you have to do). I think it was just to put doubt into the umpires minds so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a crack down on the 'separation of 2 ruckmen' tonight.
    I remember a couple of years ago that in one particular game the tv commentators noticed that mummy had his foot on or outside the line, and pointed that out ad nauseum. The next week he was penalised a couple of times, rightly so I might add.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    We aren't doing anything wrong. The nominated ruck is usually against Hale/Bailey and the other ruck will be against a tall defender Gibson or Lake. Once the ball is thrown in the nominated ruckmen can engage an usually wrestle each other to a standstill allowing the other ruck to get a clear tap against an inexperienced opponent

We're not only ones that do this btw

Blog Entries
    Ahhh, okay. I must admit I have noticed both Mummy and Pyke taking ruck contests in the forward 50 when one of them is resting there and I have wondered when we were going to get pulled up on it. I don't think we're doing the wrong thing per se, I don't think both actually contest it in the end.

I'm pretty certain it was actually the Hawks that pioneered this as a recent (well, last few years) tactic at around the ground throw ins.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    It isn't just inside 50 I would say anywhere forward of halfway we do it quite often

Blog Entries
    That's true, I've just primarily noticed it in the F50- probably because that's where the two of them are both most frequently near a contest.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    It's just a modification of the the 3rd man up, the only difference is that instead of using a spring-healed midfielder, we use a 100+ kg ruckman. It's a brilliant way to really work over an opposition ruckman (Tauby is brilliant!)

However following Dunstall's prompt, the umpires may get nit picky at the ruck contest. Perhaps Mr Pyke can assist by correcting their misinterpretation of separation rule again.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Dunstall hates Sydney. End of.

You can bet they will pull a couple of these frees out of nowhere tonight. I think it was David King who mentioned to Dunstall "Funny you bringing that up this week" ,should stick to the funny gear with spud cause he aint no footy analyst.

Umpires pet Sam Mitchell, on more than one ocassion last night was asking the umpire, "Who is the ruckman?"
    Does God believe in Atheists?