Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Roos officially announced as Melbourne Demons

This succession plan is a fantastic carrot...not you Richo...to hang out for any possible candidates for the assistant roles.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Forget the players I'm more worried he'll lure Kinnear Beatson. The biggest issue at Melbourne is list management.

Good on him - I have nothing against him going there to try and sort out an almighty mess. Will be a big challenge for him.

As Jewels pointed out, Barrassi rescued us all those years ago - I hope Roosy can do the same for the Dees.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Well if he had wanted to go and we had blocked him then I would have thought it was pretty ordinary, but I thought he quit simply because we didn't renew his contract?
    Really? Surely not. I guess it depends on how much we want to pay the head of the Academy and how much the head of the Academy actually thinks he should be paid.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Hopefully it wasnt just a case of wages not high enough or he would of stayed at the academy.Along with Tudor,Stone and Kennelly ive also heard today rumours of Kinnear Beatson maybe going to dees,i wish Roosy the best of luck but hands off George and Kinnear please. Any lovre i have for Roos will quickly diminish if he starts taking key pilars of our club. Hopefully the fact that Roos is only caretaker for 2 or 3 years may scare some off making the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Really? Surely not. I guess it depends on how much we want to pay the head of the Academy and how much the head of the Academy actually thinks he should be paid.
    I hope not.

Anyway, I guess I had wanted him to stay the coach of the Academy for selfish reasons, because I just want Australian Football to grow in Sydney and the region can produce players equal or better than Victoria. I would like to see a competitive state of origin game between NSW and Victoria within my lifetime. Wishful thinking, I guess. The standard seems to be improving in the NEAFL though, which is good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    I hope not.

Anyway, I guess I had wanted him to stay the coach of the Academy for selfish reasons, because I just want Australian Football to grow in Sydney and the region can produce players equal or better than Victoria. I would like to see a competitive state of origin game between NSW and Victoria within my lifetime. Wishful thinking, I guess. The standard seems to be improving in the NEAFL though, which is good to see.
    Would definitely agree NEAFL standard is improving. Should improve more with next year's changes as well I'd hope.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Watching the presser on now....Tell you what, it looks so odd seeing Roosey in a different team's polo.
    Yeah never thought I'd see that, I thought once he was done coaching the swans that was it.....I'd be very surprised if he could lift them out of the bottom 4 in the 2 years, massive challenge roosy, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    Forget the players I'm more worried he'll lure Kinnear Beatson. The biggest issue at Melbourne is list management.
    If its not Beatson, it will probably be Stuey. He knows his players too.

You cannot begrudge advancement to other personnel. Its not like we asked them to sign their names in blood. Oh, wait, hang on, did we???

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Yer I'm with you Legs. I look at it as returning the favour of Barrassi coming to our rescue all those years ago.
    I'm sure he will always be a Swan at heart much like Barrassi has always been a Demon at heart.
    Very good point Jewels.

Its a job that had to be done, and by someone with integrity, grit, intelligence, and not all that much ego. Not many of them around. Love the idea of a succession plan too. We have the benefit of it, may as well train someone up to take over in 2 years time. Who do y ou think? Tudor? Crouch (nnoooooo, not Crouchy!!!!), my beloved Stuey?????
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

After the Demons pay Roos, there won't be much left in the coffers for anyone else.

Veteran Site Admin
    People move on from clubs all the time. It's just the way of the world. Chances are that anyone who follows Roos to Melbourne will likely be ready for a change anyway. The only one that would sting me is Beatson because I do think our drafting has improved in recent years. I would have thought he was more of an Ireland appointment than a Roos one, what with the Brisbane connection. And he only joined towards the end of the Roos reign, by which time Longmire was already the annointed successor.

If anyone does leave, it just opens up spots for new blood to join the Bloods, which can't be a bad thing. I do kinda hope that the Swans have a spot for MickeyO when he decides to join clubland as a coach. I guess the Dees might now pose a threat in that department as I think he and Roos are very close.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Good luck Roos, and thanks for everything.
    In your position I'd be giving Voss a ring.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast