Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Roos officially announced as Melbourne Demons

Why have you forsaken us, Muad'Dib? Seduced by Demons they say. You broke the drought of our premiership and for that we are forever grateful. But expect no favour on the field of battle. You stand against us now.

Death to all Melbournes not South.

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Behind the scene

A stray sentence in this article seems to explain a lot:

Having initially told the Demons he had little interest in the role, Roos changed his mind when it became apparent his contract as Swans academy coach would not be renewed, and when Jackson told him the job would also involve ushering through his successor as coach.

Read more: Dees get their man and start hunt for a long-term coach

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, the story appeared in the print edition as: Roos just a start for battling Dees.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    A stray sentence in this article seems to explain a lot:

Having initially told the Demons he had little interest in the role, Roos changed his mind when it became apparent his contract as Swans academy coach would not be renewed, .............

Read more: Dees get their man and start hunt for a long-term coach

- - - Updated - - -
    This is the aspect of Roos going to the Dees which disappoints me. In yesterday's Offsiders one panelist suggested it showed a lack of loyalty by the Swans to a past premiership coach. Was there tension between Roos and the Swans? Did he cost too much? Or is there a problem with the Academy? I love the principle of bringing young boys through the Academy and thought Roos was a great fit for the job, but I know very little about how it is working out in practice.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    This is the aspect of Roos going to the Dees which disappoints me. In yesterday's Offsiders one panelist suggested it showed a lack of loyalty by the Swans to a past premiership coach. Was there tension between Roos and the Swans? Did he cost too much? Or is there a problem with the Academy? I love the principle of bringing young boys through the Academy and thought Roos was a great fit for the job, but I know very little about how it is working out in practice.
    I would imagine Roos was a relatively expensive figurehead for the academy. Taking on the youth development of the code in NSW (something that is done in other states by dedicated bodies) must be a fairly daunting task and it might be that the Swans are just realising how much of a drain it could be, financially. I am sure the AFL is tipping some money in, but they may have decided they can get more bang for their buck with a lower profile coaching head.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I heard Roos interviewed on Triple M radio on Friday, he mentioned something about the coaching role at the Academy changing but he didn't go into details.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Just said on OTC due to budget constraints he was asked to take 55% pay cut. Didn't sound bitter and said he understood situation, but it would push a bloke to look elsewhere

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Just said on OTC due to budget constraints he was asked to take 55% pay cut. Didn't sound bitter and said he understood situation, but it would push a bloke to look elsewhere
    Would have been on serious coin, and perhaps something of a luxury (albeit a glorious one) for teaching 12-16 yo kids. As mentioned, he was quite pragmatic and rational about it.

Thanks for that info. I'm pleased that there appears to be no rancour involved in the separation between Roos and the Swans. Yes he was a glorious luxury but one from which I for one took so much pride. He seemed such a wonderful fit to work with promising young kids. A pity we didn't have a wealthy benefactor prepared to provide the financial backing to keep him on.

We're not Collingwood r Carlton!

Bring in Mickey O.

Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    We're not Collingwood r Carlton!
    Well I'm pleased about that!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Bring in Mickey O.
    And that is indeed a very good suggestion.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast